Star Wars: Battlefront

Neovalen

Right, I fell for it and bought the full game. And... just wow, I don't regret it one bit! I'm not a big fan of online shooters (mostly because I'm not that good with them), but this is SO MUCH FUN! It's fast, intense, approachable and it's Star Wars. Amazing game, despite the complete lack of story whatsoever. If couple of months ago you'd told me I will write this about a pure online shooter, I'd just laugh at you. Today, I'm surprised at myself. What a game!

So it's too easy? I haven't bought an online FPS since Black Ops 1. The quality and time-to-kill in CoD games got really crappily low. I know this has a quite high TTK, so that's good. EA have a 10 year contract with Disney, so we will probably see a RPG from Bioware or something in a few years. I'm guessing this game will be a sort of demo for the next one to make sure there is enough mulah in it. Speaking of that, I have seen a lot of 'good' 7/10 reviews for this. A lot of critics are enjoying it, but complaining about boring dogfights, lack of content and of course the season pass as expected. A good comparison was made with Splatoon, as it was barebones at first, but the DLC has been free. I wish publishers would stop selling map packs. It splits up the player base and it's annoying having less people to connect with.

By the way Neo, no mention of those poor user reviews for this like Fallout 4?  ::P: What did I say?  :;):

Isn't the PC version user base quite low? I heard the player base is down compared to XO even? Apparently the console versions have more than double to 3/4 as many players. Hopefully not another Titanfall situation.

Isn't the PC version user base quite low? I heard the player base is down compared to XO even? Apparently the console versions have more than double to 3/4 as many players. Hopefully not another Titanfall situation.

That's pretty much all games tbh, pc always lags behind consoles hence every major game release is multiplatform or console exclusive. PS4 absolutely dominates install base wise.

I haven't noted any player base issues (get into full games instantanously) but then again no server browser. I know several people waiting to see about Black Friday weekend deals and of course Xmas players so I expect there to be a large jump after those dates.

First free xpac should be out in a few weeks as well and provide more incentives. Game is damn addictive, must play one more round x15. I honestly think people don't give the game enough credit and the Easter eggs show absolute love for the universe.

Had a blast playing with Rootsrat a few hours today, if anyone else wants to join in just hit me up on Origin. I play daily, so much fun!

SO. MUCH. FUN! Ditto, if someone wants to team up, hit me up, same nickname on Origin as on the forums here and I'm in the GMT time zone.

We definitely need to repeat that, Neo :) I don't play daily, but I'm on fairly often. 

Again, not to barge in on your fun or anything guys. I'm not close-minded enough to think it isn't fun because that is what I have read lots and lots. I think Battlefield has generally had a solid user base over consoles to be honest. I find it a bit odd that it wouldn't be the case here. I'm trying to discuss the game with you in a manner that isn't skewed. I mean, it looks visually fantastic and it may play nice - but I agree that they could have done a bit more for the launch. I'm the kind of person that may get fed up after a few hours in one go. It seems like something I can play maybe a few times a week or something. If you are getting more value than that Neo, I guess that is great to hear. ::):

Again, not to barge in on your fun or anything guys. I'm not close-minded enough to think it isn't fun because that is what I have read lots and lots. I think Battlefield has generally had a solid user base over consoles to be honest. I find it a bit odd that it wouldn't be the case here. I'm trying to discuss the game with you in a manner that isn't skewed. I mean, it looks visually fantastic and it may play nice - but I agree that they could have done a bit more for the launch. I'm the kind of person that may get fed up after a few hours in one go. It seems like something I can play maybe a few times a week or something. If you are getting more value than that Neo, I guess that is great to hear. ::):

Actually consoles took the lion share shortly after BF4 release and also for BFHardline as well. That being said, I agree with you the numbers are not overly strong on PC at least but I think they will grow over time once patches to fix some issues are released and also some more free content. BF4 had a craptastic launch but is now considered one of, if not the best, FPS out now. DICE products always get better over time.

The funny part about Hardline was the launch was smooth as butter but the theme was a bit offputting... cops with RPGs? I had fun with it though and there is a ton of content but it's dead on PC. Consoles still going fairly strong.

How people are still playing CS:GO and TF2 is beyond me... I got bored quick on those. PC players apparently can't let go of past glories... unlike their console brethren which moves from title to title.

Maybe console bundles helped a lot? I know consoles make more money (at least at launch) but I did expect Battlefield PC players to jump over. I guess it isn't either the same target audience or the reviews/people iterating about the content got to a lot of them. Maybe a mix of both? Maybe they are still happy with Battlefield 4 like they are with CS Go for some reason? No idea.

How long is it going to take them to release all the DLC anyway? 6 months? I want that complete edition like I wish CD would hurry up and do for W3 (get that last DLC out guys!). Do you know if EA are doing a Star Wars game every year or do you think they will cycle it with Battlefield and release it every two years? I am guessing the latter.

By the way I would have trouble playing this game. The visuals are that good I would be looking at the floor half the time. Apparently the ground is fully tessellated and the trees and rocks are clearly gorgeous. I have a real problem with nature looking that good in games and I think I'd need help. Do you know of any support groups for weirdos like me? Well kind of weird, I guess I just appreciate art too much.  :lol: I'm one of the rare people that won't rush by everything. Is there a 3D geologist group for this game yet?  ::P:

Maybe console bundles helped a lot? I know consoles make more money (at least at launch) but I did expect Battlefield PC players to jump over. I guess it isn't either the same target audience or the reviews/people iterating about the content got to a lot of them. Maybe a mix of both? Maybe they are still happy with Battlefield 4 like they are with CS Go for some reason? No idea.

How long is it going to take them to release all the DLC anyway? 6 months? I want that complete edition like I wish CD would hurry up and do for W3 (get that last DLC out guys!). Do you know if EA are doing a Star Wars game every year or do you think they will cycle it with Battlefield and release it every two years? I am guessing the latter.

By the way I would have trouble playing this game. The visuals are that good I would be looking at the floor half the time. Apparently the ground is fully tessellated and the trees and rocks are clearly gorgeous. I have a real problem with nature looking that good in games and I think I'd need help. Do you know of any support groups for weirdos like me? Well kind of weird, I guess I just appreciate art too much.  :lol: I'm one of the rare people that won't rush by everything. Is there a 3D geologist group for this game yet?  ::P:

I believe all of the paid DLC is scheduled to be out in one year from release. If Battlefield 4 is anything to go by, free DLC will continue until the release of the new title... or beyond. My understanding is there will be a sequel but it will not yearly... likely on a two year cycle. That being said, that doesn't mean there won't be any other Star Wars games mean while.

I think I heard that so far PC sales about really good for the game. Don't expect to many of the Battlefield players to jump over just because it's a DICE game. There was still a very vibrant Battlefront 2 community that was wanting a new game for years. Lots of cool maps and mods were made for that game floating around. Those people are probably the ones flooding to the new game on PC. Also, it's supposedly the biggest Star Wars launch ever at >1.5 million copies in the first week. Much lower that initial predictions, but still good overall. With Christmas coming up I'd bet it hits over 6 million in sales, so there will a pretty active player base for a while. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked this up yesterday for cheap on PS4 as I had some codes. I have to ask, do the guns get better because the starting rifle feels so unsatisfying, but seems to have decent stats? I have actually been enjoying the training/mission stuff with friends more than multi, which I hope doesn't stick. The flying vehicles have terrible controls and I had lots of trouble trying to kill that Millenium Falcon someone spawned in a game mode. Any tips for that? The maps so far really have not been well designed (small rocks for cover and lots of choke points) which means you get shot in the back a lot. Some of it was great fun though, but it has been hit and miss at the moment. Going to soldier on!

I can't speak to the experience with controls on PS4... however, yes the guns do get better and they are all unique. My favorite weapon is the SE-14C. I also am not a fan of the starter blaster.

The Hero ships are damn near unlikable unless you are playing the other Hero ship. Avoid/Ignore them if your a standard fighter unless your teams hero ship is there also.

I almost never get shot in the back unless I'm not paying attention, so perhaps inexperience from your end there. In most maps there are at least 2 flanking routes so there shouldn't be any blatant choke points except for the objectives themselves of course. The jet pack is absolutely great for getting around the bigger maps.

Generally speaking your going to get owned until about rank 15 when all the essential star cards get unlocked.