True Elk Of Skyrim (by Impulseman45)

kryptopyr

I don't like it, because it makes Skyrim elk look like common elk; that's like changing the cave bears to black bears.  It's not right because the elk are supposed to be Irish Elk.  Notice that there are a lot of prehistoric creatures in Skyrim: Mammoths, Sabrecats, Cave Bears, and yes - Irish Elk.  Bethesda didn't get confused with moose, like some people think (like the author of the mod)...

Edited by oqhansoloqo
  • +1 1

Perhaps not, Oq - but in that case, perhaps they shouldn't CALL them Elk if that's not what they are supposed to be. Even the mod author acknowledged that, likely, Beth was trying for a distant ancestor of the Elk (can't remember what it was) to kind of go with the mammoth, as you mentioned. If it's a mammoth, you don't call it an elephant. If it's a [insert name here], you don't call it an elk. From that standpoint, I more with the previous posters atm, and am liking the screens anyhow. It's in my mod order, and I'm waiting to run across them before passing final judgement, however.

Well, why not call an Irish Elk simply an elk - if that's the only type of elk around?  The ones in Skyrim look exactly like Irish Elk fossils.  Similarly, the weak Cave Bear in Helgen caves is referred to as just a "bear" by Hadvar.  An elephant is different, mainly because "mammoth" is not anywhere in the name itself - and they do call them mammoths, and not Wooly Mammoths.  As opposed to Irish "Elk" or Cave "Bear".

Edited by oqhansoloqo
  • +1 1

The author had intended on updating the mod to include options for either the "modern" elk mesh / texture replacement, or an improved Megaloceros (aka "Irish elk") replacement.

However, unfortunately he posted a week ago that problems with the new Megaloceros has put the next release on "indefinite" hold. Very unfortunate.

Perhaps keep an eye on this for future inclusion if that update does come to fruition?

There is a good reason why they are not called 'Irish Elk'. Ireland doesn't exist in the world of Skyrim! Since there are no other elk around it is superfluous to add the descriptor 'Irish', or for that matter any other name you care to think of. Elk is what they are and that is what they are called.

My 2 cents worth anyway.

Yes, but their appearance isn't correct for a Megaloceros either.  This mod isn't changing a Megaloceros into an Elk, it's taking an animal that displays mixed traits and making it clear what type of animal it is.  Given the mixed traits that Bethesda gave these animals, I think that is a completely reasonable approach and that it's just as vanilla-friendly as any of the other 'fixes' that correct Bethesda's inconsistencies.  Editing them into true Megaloceros would be equally valid, but since that option doesn't currently exist, I'll very happily choose these much nicer looking "regular" Elk meshes over the uglier vanilla ones.

• +1 1

Well, why not call an Irish Elk simply an elk - if that's the only type of elk around?  The ones in Skyrim look exactly like Irish Elk fossils.  Similarly, the weak Cave Bear in Helgen caves is referred to as just a "bear" by Hadvar.  An elephant is different, mainly because "mammoth" is not anywhere in the name itself - and they do call them mammoths, and not Wooly Mammoths.  As opposed to Irish "Elk" or Cave "Bear".

Yeah, "elk" come in many different shapes. It's not much more descriptive than the word "deer". The Skyrim Elk is visually a small Irish Elk, but of course, there is no Ireland in Nirn, so calling it an Irish Elk is right out. It's a Skyrim Elk. It doesn't look like a modern Earth elk and there's no reason why it needs to. (Not that the True Elk mod is bad, or anything, just not, imo, necessary.)

If we could get a proper megaloceros mesh, though, that would be brilliant.

Edited by kylhwch

Surprising the amount of discussion this just spawned. That said, Hish... don't think you're gonna get your wish on the STEP inclusion. This one looks be to a matter of personal taste. Some will argue it's a fix, some an improvement over vanilla, and others say "works fine, why mess with". Whatevs... Still looks nice. Also, the elk now has a slightly less surprised look on his face... at least in my game. :)

Is it vanilla friendly?

For some, yes, others, no but its a definite improvement that isn't distracting like the vanilla abomination.

Then again, i am someone that doesn't really care for vanilla because some work is truly dreadful on beth part.

From the comments on the mod page the author states that he is working on a megaloceros version of the mod. He also states that development is on hold because of mesh issues though. I would love a true megaloceros in Skyrim. A bigger one than the current elk.

You got to love these forums, the only place on the Internet that with such dedication and devotion discusses if an elk in a computer game is an elk ☺

I asked the author about the megaloceros.  He has some really great plans for not only it, but also other animals.  However, he has run into an issue with getting the meshes to work.  He's gotten pretty frustrated with the project since he can't find any information that will help him fix the issue, and the modders he's reached out to are either unresponsive or unwilling to offer any advice.

I know absolutely nothing about working with meshes.  Is there someone around here who does, and might be able to offer him a little guidance or a few suggestions? 

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2775719-help-with-making-working-animal-meshes/&do=findComment&comment=24404349