Paid mods are now available on the workshop

CJ2311

This is just a thread to make people aware that paid for mods are now officially a thing on the workshop.

As you can see here, there are already a few mods that are going behind a paywall.

Now this bit of news is sure to spark a lot of controversy, so please keep it civil in the comments and avoid attacking mod makers for their move.

I just finished watching Gophers video on this. I will be surprised if people pay for most mods, especially if they were free before this transition or continue to be free on the nexus sites.

Not that I would mind more clicks on the donate button every now and again but I've never once thought about requiring payment despite the hours that go into it.

Just to put it in perspective, I've never once got a donation for DSR or SCRR. I've gotten 3 for SRLE in the years I've been maintaining it.

• +1 2

Well that's the thing though, there's no guarantee said mods will remain on the nexus, is there?

Version 2 of wet and cold for instance is already up on steam workshop, but there's no sign of it on the nexus. (Which might explain all the angry comments in there)

Isuko? Noooooooooooooooooooo....

Yep. Looks like the steam paid versions are updated version of Nexus. Wonder if he will update Nexus eventually after a period of exclusivity or if he's done with giving out updated free versions. He personally has not said either way, so giving benefit of the doubt.

Depending on how this goes over time, Witcher 3 and it's mods may be my next permanent home.

The comments on Nexus are funny though.

I am unendorsing and not recommending your mods. You are the reason that kills modding. Your fault for being a greedy idiot.

I'm not saying I am happy about paid mods, but to be honest, there's nothing wrong with it. After all, the whole Nexus site is one huge paid mod, and it's pretty stupid how authors are strictly forbidden to make any money off their work while Nexus is regular paying job for the people running it.

However, if someone's (say isoku) mods will become strictly paid, I'd be pissed.

...also, I can't imagine myself paying like €20 if I wanted a few of someone's mods. That would be the price of a full game and I would feel retarded if I did that.

It's going to happen, if not now, then in the future in TES VI or Fallout 4. I can see the future where the developers of xEdit and other similar tools need their cut, etc.

It's just downhill from here if it isn't nipped in the arse now.

What pisses me off the most is probably the fact isoku didn't announce anything like this happening, not even suggesting. He's been talking specifics about next versions of his mod, and suddenly (without any hint of them being actually finished) they appear on Steam. That's pretty bad move from him.

edit: actually it seems several authors has done exactly the same thing. After weeks or even months of waiting (and discussing it with author himself) for a release, suddenly it's Steam only without a single word. Well I call that betrayal. I still don't, technically speaking, have a problem with paying a few bucks for a good mod, but it's the matter in which things are apparently being done that make me want to yell in their faces "why you little piece of s....?!!!" and which I strongly dislike. Like I've been waiting for Arissa v2 for a year, closely following the development, and week after Chesko hyped everyone about it being just around the corner, it suddenly appears on Steam with absolutely no explanation or anything on Nexus. Well... That's not smart move.

Edited by Octopuss

Like I've been waiting for Arissa v2 for a year, closely following the development, and week after Chesko hyped everyone about it being just around the corner, it suddenly appears on Steam with absolutely no explanation or anything on Nexus. Well... That's not smart move.

Don't worry about Arissa, according to the voice actress, "Arissa V2.0 will make an appearance on the Nexus soon enough."

EDIT: Also, this is what Chesko said on the matter.

Everyone,

I understand that today's announcement will elicit many strong feelings and opinions. It was a shock to me too.

The first thing I want to point out is that I intend to continue releasing my mods for free on Skyrim Nexus , after a period of time spent exclusive on the Workshop. You will not be locked out of my work.

The second thing is that the contract between us has not changed. I will continue to provide the high level of support now as I have for the last 4 years. In return, I ask for your civility; the introduction of monetary support does not justify additional demands or worse, abuse. I appreciate your critical feedback and candor; I'm willing to have a discussion. I'm not willing to be attacked.

I have posted an open letter to the Skyrim community which gives an in-depth perspective into my thoughts on this.

Edited by CJ2311

Actually now that I think about it, if Bethesda (or even Bethesda AND Steam) is getting a cut (maybe even significant) - I don't believe for a second they would allow people to sell mods just like that, because they deserve something for their work - I don't think I'd buy anything from Steam. I'd much rather send the full amount directly to an author. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem like an option. Sure we're still talking less than five lousy euros here, but out of general principle, you know...

But there aren't more responsibilities for any modder to support their mod more than before are there?

This is the biggest problem I have with a payed mod. If the mod is free I have no problem with switching it out if it ceases to work but I would most likely be reluncant to do so if I paid for it. So this would prevent me from using that mod ever from the start.

I could see an argument for certain mods that are just so essential like the unoffical patches that could be a requirement for all future mods but even then that just covers such a miniscule part of the mod authors.

What bothers me is the amount of money going to the mod authors vs. the amount going to Bethesda. Gopher said only 25% will be going to the mod authors. Only 25%? I have heard the term "user made DLC" being tossed around. While I don't 100% agree with that, I also don't think they are entirely wrong. I understand that Bethesda made Skyrim, but if I made large Skyrim mods I wouldn't put them behind a paywall simply because I don't think Bethesda/Steam deserves that 75% profit cut out of my work. 

And as Octopuss said: "...out of general principle..."  

Edit: If I were buying a mod that I really thought deserved the money, then I would actually feel better if I was paying more money to the mod author rather than the developer or Steam. 

Edited by Audley
  • +1 5

Actually now that I think about it, if Bethesda (or even Bethesda AND Steam) is getting a cut (maybe even significant) - I don't believe for a second they would allow people to sell mods just like that, because they deserve something for their work - I don't think I'd buy anything from Steam. I'd much rather send the full amount directly to an author. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem like an option. Sure we're still talking less than five lousy euros here, but out of general principle, you know...

The cut that the modders make is supposedly the same as what "content creators" make for DotA/TF2/CSGO : 75% goes to Valve/Bethesda, 25% goes to the dev.