Confusion about ENBoost VideoMemorySizeMb: 64-bit users with >= 8GB system RAM

thunderclam

Question

Hi. I think I may be using this setting wrong due to confusion about what "Total Available Video Memory" means. Can someone please help me figure out if I'm doing this wrong?

In dxdiag 64-bit (I have Win 7 64-bit), my "Approx. Total Memory" in the Display Tab is 1768. I have a Radeon HD6950 with 2GB and everything else says my VRAM is 2048. I also have 8GB of RAM. From poking around other threads where people have their VideoMemorySizeMb set to stuff like...

Using the number 1768 and following the formula of (-170) for Win7 users... I arrive at the number: 1598

So my ENBlocal.ini has [Memory] settings like this:

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=true
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=1598
EnableCompression=true
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

EDIT:

I was googling how to figure out Total Available Video Memory while posting this. Only after hitting submit did I find out how to see this figure. Mine is 5879MB apparently. So my new VideoMemorySizeMb setting should be 5709 after subtracting the 170... correct?

EDIT2:

Wellllll... started playing around with different numbers and now have seemingly unrecoverable slowdown/lag as if the game is running at 5 FPS. This has no apparent link to RAM or VRAM as according to SPM, I'm running like butter. Even restoring my original, seemingly incorrect, setting has not fixed this. :(
Edited by thunderclam

7 answers to this question

Thanks for the confirmation. I believe I've isolated my FPS issues to SMIM and ELFX. I think reducing my SMIM textures to half-size is messing with ELFX somehow as the effect is exactly like the few "trouble areas" where the two mods have never really gotten along (Radiant Raiment and Jorrvaskr, for example).

I'm going to tinker with them and see if I can fix the FPS. If so, then I believe maybe this correction for my ENBoost settings may help with some of the other performance issues I've been having!

Yes I have the one that fixes problem areas and it does fix those areas. However, my FPS drops to 0-5 now on all my saves in exteriors and interiors. So instead it seems universal. I can't figure out what caused it. Sometimes it shoots back up to 60 if I look at say the entrance to Mistveil Keep in Riften.

Unless you're talking about a different mod I'm unaware of?

EDIT:

I tried removing ENBoost and it fixed the massive lag problem completely. I'm going to compare my modified enblocal.ini and the unmodified one in the wrapperversion (which is what I use) to see if there are any obvious discrepancies. Though it seems like a rogue setting should have stood out in the [Memory] settings I posted above.

Weird!

Edited by thunderclam

Hello!

I also have a question about VideoMemorySizeMb. I have Windows 8.1 64-bit, 16 Gb RAM, and my Total Available Graphics Memory is 20454 Mb. According to the formula, the value of VideoMemorySizeMb should be 20454 - 350 = 20104 Mb. However, it is also said that the value of VideoMemorySizeMb should be multiples of 1024, which 20104 is not (20104 / 1024 = 19,6328125). So what would be the correct value?

Kind regards!