Not So Fast - Main Quest (by cdcooley)

WilliamImm

Is anyone testing this mod alongside this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/63900/?

I'm very interested in both of these mods and hoping they'll work together without issue.

Timing is Everything just allows you to control what level (and a few other conditions) are required before a quest is triggered.  You can use it to delay quests until later in the game, but it won't alter the pacing of any quests once they've actually started.  The one exception might be the Dawnguard quest, where you can set different levels at which the vampire attacks start happen and when the Dawnguard recruitment starts.  I personally like putting a few additional levels separating these events to really give the sense of the vampires becoming a reoccurring issue in Skyrim prior to encountering the Dawnguard. 

Is anyone testing this mod alongside this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/63900/?

I'm very interested in both of these mods and hoping they'll work together without issue.

Timing is Everything just allows you to control what level (and a few other conditions) are required before a quest is triggered.  You can use it to delay quests until later in the game, but it won't alter the pacing of any quests once they've actually started.  The one exception might be the Dawnguard quest, where you can set different levels at which the vampire attacks start happen and when the Dawnguard recruitment starts.  I personally like putting a few additional levels separating these events to really give the sense of the vampires becoming a reoccurring issue in Skyrim prior to encountering the Dawnguard. 

STEP users Paarthurnax Dilemma which sounds like it's about the same thing.

Time is Everything sounds interesting but it is also different than what this mod does. There's nothing to really set with this mod (you can adjust the number of days you're required to wait. 7 days is default. 5 would be just as good).

This mod works great. Voting to add this one to Extended...could even be Core since all it does is stops the storyline for a bit.

I leveled up to level 10 by the time the story continued and even bought my first home (Hearthfire....which I've never tried...not a fan so far. Breezehome is better than your first small cottage and since it's in town you have everything you need. I'll probably add a player home and call it good.).

I have this installed and started a new game today, so I'll be seeing how well it works. I've got Timing is Everything installed to, so if they work together that would be even better. Being able to delay the DLC stuff and control some of the main quest would be a godsend for the leveling in Skyrim.

I really like the option to stop the negotiations with this mod. That makes it pretty awesome. I'd say this is definitely good for STEP. Whether it's Core or Extended though... that is kind of on the border of pushing the intended way the game lays out the quests.

I actually run that one, and while what they do is completely different, the net effect is the same. Lemme'splain.

Timing is Everything adds an MCM menu that allows you to alter what LEVEL some quests fire off at. As an example, the first Hearthfire quest (Falkreath) by default fires at level 9... ridiculously early. "I've heard all about your exploits" just don't work when you don't HAVE any at that point. So, instead, I go into MCM and change that to 20 or 25... after I've had time to, you know, DO stuffs. There is a large number of quests (None of them the main one... looks to be only ones that fire by player level, which is fine by me) in the menu, so it would be a lot of trial and error to pick one that would be "STEP Friendly" so to speak, but the one I've been running makes sense to me, and I've had no problems running it.

ANd yes, No So Fast SO needs to be in the next release, whenever it may be. The pause is not just good for immersion, the way it encourages you to go find something ELSE to do is a good thing. 4 years, and STILL finding new things to do in SKyrim that aren't even add-ons... that's just amazing.

• +1 1

I like the idea behind this mod, but I don't think it seems right for Core.  Particularly given the author even says: "I don't recommend this mod for anyone who hasn't already completed the main quest in its original form at least once."  Given that statement, Extended seems like a better fit.

Hey, there are people who never finish the game :P I have 825 hours on the record and farthest I ever progressed was visiting the Greybeards once ::D:

(jesus, I played for over 800 hours in less than half a year, what's wrong with me)

Edited by Octopuss
  • +1 1

I do like the sound of this mod and will use it for my next MQ play through. The only thing I'm not that keen on is the delay if you are playing the civil war quest. Balgruuf wont let you finish Message to Whiterun until after Dragon Rising is complete. So you will have to wait around another week after he has already sent you to BFF. For some this might add to the immersion building tension when you know war is upon you and the Jarl is sending you on some fools mission instead, then he'll make you hang for another week. It certainly adds to the frustration - which I always feel when doing BFF...again... :)

I'm gonna say this is a STEP Extended mod since it actually changes some of the main quest and scripted scenes quite a bit. I do really like though and this we should accept this mod and recommend the first setting at level 8-10 (gives user a little leeway) and the second settings double the level of the first. I set mine at 12 and 20, but it felt like I was just a bit to powerful for that first dragon fight at level 12.

***STORYLINE SPOILER ALERT***

You must be thinking of another mod. This one only has the option of setting the number of days before the main story continues.

This does changes the way and timing that some parts of the main quests are completed, But I don't think its lore/vanilla breaking changes. The main change was that the messages come by Couriers now. In a way this makes perfect sense and could be seen as a "realism" fix for those that like realism. I always thought it odd that as soon as you gave the NPCs the Dragonstone....BAM!....instant dragon attack....then when you go to collect the horn...BAM!...it's already stolen and replaced with a note for the Dragonborn to come see Delphine. How did she know that the dragonborn was sent to retrieve that horn that fast? Information didn't travel that fast back then.

This mod gives timing between these events. You find the dragonstone....and...nothing. Well, okay but it makes sense because would Delphine not have to study the stone before she could find out the the "pattern" to the dragon's raising from the dead? The gap between getting the stone and the first dragon attack where you find out you're dragonborn fixes this "instant knowledge" by allow Delphine to study the stone for several days. The second event about Delphine being so quick to know where to go to steal the horn and leave a note....that's fixed with the wait for the second event. This wait allows for several days to pass before you receive a message from a Courier to come see her. That time frame of the dragonborn and who he/she is much more accurate to me. Delphine shouldn't have known where to go to steal that horn so quickly and there is no evidence in the game to support the "theory" that she had prior knowledge to what the Greybeards would have the dragonborn do, in order to steal it when she heard the "voice" echo across Skyrim.

With all that said, I'm fine with Extended.  :turned:  I just wanted to put the other side of the coin out there in case no one ever thought about those things.

By the way, I'm recommending this to be set to 7 days for both settings. This allows you time to gear and level up if you so desire, or you can take time to build your player home from Hearthfire and have a good home built and ready to go so you don't have to worry about doing it later in the game. Basically it gives you the option to experience Skyrim a bit more in the way you want to experience it. I found myself talking to a lot more NPCs and actually listening to them. With these settings I reached level 14 before the continuation of the story with Delphine (second setting). I've skilled up enough that I find the game enjoying, yet still challenging instead of being too challenging and causing you to avoid higher level opponents so you could continue to grind on the lower level ones until you level up enough.