Not So Fast - Main Quest (by cdcooley)

WilliamImm

By the way, I'm recommending this to be set to 7 days for both settings. This allows you time to gear and level up if you so desire, or you can take time to build your player home from Hearthfire and have a good home built and ready to go so you don't have to worry about doing it later in the game. Basically it gives you the option to experience Skyrim a bit more in the way you want to experience it. I found myself talking to a lot more NPCs and actually listening to them. With these settings I reached level 14 before the continuation of the story with Delphine (second setting). I've skilled up enough that I find the game enjoying, yet still challenging instead of being too challenging and causing you to avoid higher level opponents so you could continue to grind on the lower level ones until you level up enough.

I agree 100%. The break in the story lines works perfectly and adds breathing space to what is a frenetic pace from once you start BFF till you finish Dragon Rising. The MQ doesn't feel as rushed or as forced. Like TechAngel85, I chatted to NPC's and ran a few side quests during the break. On another note I always found it a bit jarring that there was no sign that Delphine had recently visited Ustengrav, no evidence of recent battles, dead draugr / skeletons, etc. So this mod fixes that problem as well.

I think , from the comments, this is gonna be in the next iteration of STEP. The question remains, though, which part?

A) CORE: As both Tech and Teabag point out, the breaks this provides along with the minor changes at two crucial points eliminate some 'huh? what?" moments. That has the sound of a 'fix' to me, and with no other issue that contravene vanilla, this seems to be Core territory. -BUT-

B) Extended: Those same changes ARE a change to vanilla, and thus could easilly fall here as well.

Me? The changes to pacing and the 'fix'es to the MQ outweigh the other considerations for me, and I think it's a solid contender for Core. I also like the 7/7 settings... just long enough to make you wonder what ever happened with that dragonstone, but not long enough to make you wonder if, perhaps, Nord is thier tertiery language, as opposed to thier primary.

I agree with Shadriss. This one is a fix to some odd storyline jumps. We include other mods that "fix" things that aren't necessarily broken but the mods are still improvements over vanilla. This doesn't change the storyline enough for me to discount it from being considered for Core. The storyline really doesn't change at all in the end. This mod simply provides an alternative route to the story that fits better than the way Bethesda did it. Just my two cents. We'll see what the others think.

Is this mod compatible with Alternative Start?

Yes.

I think , from the comments, this is gonna be in the next iteration of STEP. The question remains, though, which part?

A) CORE: As both Tech and Teabag point out, the breaks this provides along with the minor changes at two crucial points eliminate some 'huh? what?" moments. That has the sound of a 'fix' to me, and with no other issue that contravene vanilla, this seems to be Core territory. -BUT-

B) Extended: Those same changes ARE a change to vanilla, and thus could easilly fall here as well.

Me? The changes to pacing and the 'fix'es to the MQ outweigh the other considerations for me, and I think it's a solid contender for Core. I also like the 7/7 settings... just long enough to make you wonder what ever happened with that dragonstone, but not long enough to make you wonder if, perhaps, Nord is thier tertiery language, as opposed to thier primary.

A very interesting discussion you've got here. Does the author get a say? My vote would be not core.

If it is going to be core I would want to make an updated release so that Season Unending negotiations aren't skipped by default.

My logic in choosing the initial 7 day delay is that you need a little breathing room to gain a few levels and learn about the world before fighting your first dragon but not so much that things stall out completely. The second delay of 14 days is so that you actually have time to visit a few word walls, encounter a few random dragons, and get annoyed with the Greybeards' desire to take it slow. After you meet Delphine the storyline basically pulls you away from treking up to visit the Greybeards until you need to talk with Parthurnaax. But I've never been particularly tied to those values and other defaults might suit the majority of players better.

Yes.

A very interesting discussion you've got here. Does the author get a say? My vote would be not core.

If it is going to be core I would want to make an updated release so that Season Unending negotiations aren't skipped by default.

My logic in choosing the initial 7 day delay is that you need a little breathing room to gain a few levels and learn about the world before fighting your first dragon but not so much that things stall out completely. The second delay of 14 days is so that you actually have time to visit a few word walls, encounter a few random dragons, and get annoyed with the Greybeards' desire to take it slow. After you meet Delphine the storyline basically pulls you away from treking up to visit the Greybeards until you need to talk with Parthurnaax. But I've never been particularly tied to those values and other defaults might suit the majority of players better.

That option can easily be instructed to be unticked. In fact, there are still several mods we need to set up "recommended" MCM settings for. That brings up a question, can Season Unending be completed later if the option is ticked or is it skipped entirely?

Also, I recommended 7 days for each because 14 would have been a bit too long. By the activation of the second part, I was about ready to start the main quest again as I had accomplished a lot in the meantime. Too much longer and I would probably have gotten bored.

Also, message me on Nexus and I'll set you up with a Mod Author badge for the STEP forums.

The only trigger for Season Unending is your dialogue with Balgruuf about trapping the dragon, so if you bypass that opportunity it won't come again.

That's why I would want to change the default if this were going to be core. Technically it's entirely optional and really is just a way to make sure the player has at least noticed there's a civil war in progress. I've always been slightly uncomfortable disabling it by default but since my mods are never popular I decided not to worry about the potential of denying a new player a chance to experience that quest.

It's good to see you here cdcooley. Timing is a funny thing. I had the first break at 7 days but was ready at 5 days. No problem I thought, I'll adjust it to 6 days and do it tomorrow. I didn't realise that changing the value in the MCM reset the timer to start again with the new value, haha. Of course you provide an explanation in the MCM that I initially ignored. Fixed it in the end by changing it to 1 day...

The only trigger for Season Unending is your dialogue with Balgruuf about trapping the dragon, so if you bypass that opportunity it won't come again.

That's why I would want to change the default if this were going to be core. Technically it's entirely optional and really is just a way to make sure the player has at least noticed there's a civil war in progress. I've always been slightly uncomfortable disabling it by default but since my mods are never popular I decided not to worry about the potential of denying a new player a chance to experience that quest.

Well, unless you make that change, we'll simply instruct the users to disable it. We have a MCM template for a reason. :^_^:

The changes to pacing and the 'fix'es to the MQ outweigh the other considerations for me, and I think it's a solid contender for Core. I also like the 7/7 settings...

I haven't tested the mod myself, but from everything I read about it and what it does I agree with Shadriss also.

The problem I have with it being a Core mod is that the quests just pop up after the timer is done. You're just running along killing bunnies and all of sudden you have a new quest. 

I had to start a new game and tested 7/10. It was pretty decent, but 7/7 may have been a little better. I think it depends on if you decide to do another major quest line in the mean time. I didn't join any factions and just kinda did shorter quests, so 10 days seems like forever. If I broke up the 10 days with a faction quest line then it would have probably been okay.