Not So Fast - Mage Guild (by cdcooley)

WilliamImm

Discussion thread:

Not So Fast - Mage Guild by CDCooley

Wiki Link

Like the one for the main quest, this mod slows down the otherwise breakneck pace of the College quests. Good companion with some of the other College-altering mods.

Compatibility-wise, it's compatible with EBQO (since I checked when doing the update there). Still looks really good.

This is so awesome.  I was just thinking to myself yesterday about how odd it is that I'm sent on some expedition field trip minutes after becoming a student.  Talk about being thrown to the wolves.  I'll be thoroughly testing this.  Thanks for bringing this mod to my attention!

Timing-related mods are some of the finest of all mods when they work. Timing is Everything for example, I first used it on my current playthrough and all future playthroughs will use it, too.

Like most new releases, I'll track this and see if it's stable, and if it is, I'll give it a shot on my next character.

I tested this a bit on a quick play through of the College of Winterhold.

The first feature (Tolfdir waits for X amount of days until offering the Sarthaal quest) was well executed and seamless.  The Voiced dialogue was refreshingly appropriate for the situations.  The ward lesson ends and everyone goes and does their own thing.  Then after waiting X amt of days (my testing was 4 days), between 8 AM to 9 AM.. find Tolfdir and he will tell you about the "field trip" to Sarthaal, beginning the quest.  The other students begin moving that direction, as expected.

As for the second feature, I did not have the same results.  After Tolfdir's one-on-one observations of the Eye of Magnus (first stage of "Good Intentions"), regardless of what X amt of days the "Visit from Psijic Monk" value is set to, Ancano will track you down immediately after re-entering the Hall of Elements.  Also, if you speak to Tolfdir, then initiate dialogue with Ancano before leaving the Hall of Elements, he will trigger the quest stage.  I tried it both with and without talking to Tolfdir about the Psijic Monk vision.  Same results.  I'm interested in hearing if anyone comes up with mirroring results.

EDIT: Once again, please note that it is possible to pass by Ancano without him initiating dialogue before leaving the Hall of Elements after Tolfdir's talk... but once you re-enter, the stage is forced on you.  A workaround (if you really need a pause during "Good Intentions") is to avoid re-entering the Hall of Elements until you're ready.  I'll be copy/pasting this post to the nexus mod page so that the author is at least alerted of it.

Finally. TES5Edit shows 2 'identical to master' records. Nothing dangerous or conflicting, but something to note if people are combining this mod with other College of Winterhold mods.

Overall, this mod is still a must-have for the pause between the wards lesson and the field trip.

Edited by Kravis
  • +1 1

CDCooley has posted v1.2, which fixes the issue I was encountering.  I tested and can confirm that this mod is now 100% functional.  Hats off to CDCooley for the surprisingly swift hotfix.

Edited by Kravis

So with this, we finally have overhauls for all the main faction quests! Awesome!

Not... quite.

Main Quest - Check.

Companions - Check.

Mages - Check.

Thieves - Check.

Dark Brotherhood.... not so much.

Granted, it doesn't have the same timeing issues, but I think a small change to how they are handled would be nice. I haven't played through them recently, so maybe my memory is flawed (also, I'm old... I'll play that card), but the main questline of the DB would seem, to me, to suffer similar 'rapid promotion' sickness. Now, granted, the circuimstances involved are slightly different, but even so, some of the early timing still seems fast. "Oh, you killed Grelod for us... you're in!" is Ok... but then, with little to no assassinations later, things build, and quickly.

But hey, if one's gonna get left out, I think we've got the right one. This pair from Cooly have been quite well done.

Not... quite.

Main Quest - Check.

Companions - Check.

Mages - Check.

Thieves - Check.

Dark Brotherhood.... not so much.

Granted, it doesn't have the same timeing issues, but I think a small change to how they are handled would be nice. I haven't played through them recently, so maybe my memory is flawed (also, I'm old... I'll play that card), but the main questline of the DB would seem, to me, to suffer similar 'rapid promotion' sickness. Now, granted, the circuimstances involved are slightly different, but even so, some of the early timing still seems fast. "Oh, you killed Grelod for us... you're in!" is Ok... but then, with little to no assassinations later, things build, and quickly.

But hey, if one's gonna get left out, I think we've got the right one. This pair from Cooly have been quite well done.

I'm not sure the Dark Brotherhood needs a mod. It's my favourite large questline, actually. As a bonus you can destroy them, which is more than the Thieves Guild can say without a mod. Things do move somewhat quickly, but your rapid promotion makes a great deal more sense than in the other guilds, mainly due to

the untimely demise of almost all of the competition.

If there was any change, I'd say that requiring more assassination quests would be nice.

Edited by Harpalus