#91 Bandy

Bandy

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:58 AM

Thank you for reply.

If I can be of any assistance, as a noob to installing/modding FO3/FONV/TTW means I have little to no community knowledge and therefore have a different perspective than someone with years in this game. It was very confusing at times given the years of development and long threads with necessary patch links found deep.  Apologies, I should have made notes of some of the little niggly things that tripped me up, the bigger things I posted here, mostly.

My 'Worlds of Tomorrow' install (how do you want to refer to it? WofT?) is complete, and I have played to level 3 thus far with just a few issues BUT it was not without BST (blood, sweat, tears... lol...). I did sections of install, played a little, installed more, all without problem so forged ahead with Wrye patch and had some LOD generation errors req'd several runs though think I may need to run it again (see below).

On start up the TTW splash screens and music played, but no game startup menu appeared.  So I began turning mods off in MO to see what caused it, and it ended up being the Wrye patch itself. I'm not sure why, or whether this should happen, but I can play WofT without a Wrye patch and only had 2 game hangs over 3 levels (at hardcore setting), so many hours of play over several days but just around Megaton and surrounding area to the NW, stability likely will change once I head to DC...

The Wrye patch issue is like this:

I start Wrye from MO (properly configured AFAIK, and re-installed twice) and I do not see the 'Bashed Patched,0' on the Wrye mods list.  This issue is not unknown, one of the STEP guides links a thread (will find & provide later) describing this very problem, and I followed all advice, taking the provided 'Bashed Patched,0' template and putting it in the FONV/Data etc. and then I see it and can create the patch, but the files are not in the Overwrite folder.  I have to root around to find them, and then its parts are not together like the html and esp files in different folders (Mopy and MO), more details later I'm not at home... No expert, but have made many bashed patches for Skyrim STEP-X install without problem.

So I'm currently playing without a bashed patch, but am trying to troublshoot this issue more.  Perhaps one consequence of this is I occasionally see a large red block with a huge exclamation sign, so a missing object(s) or texture(s)???  I'll post screenshot later.  It may be a weapon or armor since it appeared three times carried by NPC's, but also saw it once sticking out of rubbish inside a barn just to west of Vault 101 entrance (the barn with ham radio in loft).

As always any advice appreciated, though managing to solve some of these issues builds character...  :)

Edited by Bandy, 06 September 2016 - 07:10 AM.

#92 EssArrBee

EssArrBee

Incompatibilism Manager

• STEP Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,721 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:02 PM

I start Wrye from MO (properly configured AFAIK, and re-installed twice) and I do not see the 'Bashed Patched,0' on the Wrye mods list.  This issue is not unknown, one of the STEP guides links a thread (will find & provide later) describing this very problem, and I followed all advice, taking the provided 'Bashed Patched,0' template and putting it in the FONV/Data etc. and then I see it and can create the patch, but the files are not in the Overwrite folder.  I have to root around to find them, and then its parts are not together like the html and esp files in different folders (Mopy and MO), more details later I'm not at home... No expert, but have made many bashed patches for Skyrim STEP-X install without problem.

So I'm currently playing without a bashed patch, but am trying to troublshoot this issue more.  Perhaps one consequence of this is I occasionally see a large red block with a huge exclamation sign, so a missing object(s) or texture(s)???  I'll post screenshot later.  It may be a weapon or armor since it appeared three times carried by NPC's, but also saw it once sticking out of rubbish inside a barn just to west of Vault 101 entrance (the barn with ham radio in loft).

As always any advice appreciated, though managing to solve some of these issues builds character...  :)

Sometimes you have to manually retrieve your bashed patch from within the template folder (I think it's called template) from within the Mopy folder in your FNV install. There is a blank Bashed Patch in there that you can copy over to the Data folder. Ignore any header warning for the Bashed Patch, it gets fixed when you generate a new patch.

#93 Bandy

Bandy

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for reply EssArrBee, 

Sorry (not being difficult just polite), but I did mention using that template from the Mopy folder and putting into the FONV/data folder as mentioned here (Ah-ha, this is your page on the topic, please know I did followed the instructs earlier): http://wiki.step-pro..._a_Bashed_Patch

There is also a related Skyrim thread on "Where is my Bashed Patch?" here: http://forum.step-pr...patch-using-mo/   

EDIT: had a longer response, but as I was re-running Wrye for the 5th or 6th time, the patch files did appear in the Overwrite folder finally.  Keep banging your head until some things work, lol

BUT even with this Bashed patch TTW-WofT runs the splash screens & music, but is "Not Responsive" on Task Manager :(

Also the BIG exclamation mark:

that I have yet to search and troubleshoot, more later...

ScreenShot5_zpsnuchs3xa.png

Edited by Bandy, 06 September 2016 - 07:09 PM.

#94 Bandy

Bandy

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:19 PM

Ah, "Big Red Square Exclamation Mark Error Remover by Kman420" with almost 15,000 unique downloads...

http://www.nexusmods...ut3/mods/4710/?

I have not removed any mod or otherwise bad mod practice AFAIK.  BUT on running LOOT before Wrye I got the message to clean ITM's in the ESM's, so I did since it was always hammered home to do so in Skyrim. 

Now I've seen a few posts on TTW forum saying not to clean ESM for Fallout....  Could this be the source of the missing texture or mesh?

Edited by Bandy, 06 September 2016 - 07:26 PM.

#95 EssArrBee

EssArrBee

Incompatibilism Manager

• STEP Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,721 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:20 PM

Big red exclamations are from missing meshes. If you have all you mods installed correctly then it can just be that you have too many mods. The game gets overloaded and the first thing to go wrong is usually meshes and textures.

You may also need to tick your BSAs.

#96 Bandy

Bandy

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:54 PM

Bashed patch is now being generated and seems to work, but is the bashed patch,0.esp supposed to be 1,658 KB? Thats large compared to Skyrim, my only reference...

Regardless, the game was still "Unresponsive" at start up.  I ticked off mods in MO to isolate possible problems, and found that BornAgain FO3 Outcast Main and Helmet Fix were causing the game to be unresponsive.  I tried a new download and reinstall, but then just left them off my load order, made the bashed patch, and the game starts up correctly.

BornAgain FO3 Outcast Main and Helmet Fix do not have special instructions in the guide, but seem to overwrite:

1) Nov2011bookofsteel

2) BornAgain FO3 T45d 4096 huge v3 fixed

3) BornAgain Outcast T45d 4096 18221-1-0

Perhaps I left something out, but otherwise I'm not sure how to proceed, or if I need the FO3 Outcast and Helmet fix mods.

Edited by Bandy, 08 September 2016 - 07:55 PM.

#97 Genius384

Genius384

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:28 AM

I have never had good success with Bashed Patch and TTW installs, just for what that is worth.

#98 Bandy

Bandy

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:11 AM

RE: Wrye bashed patch

Will try to be brief in explanation.  I did use the template bashed patch,0.esp in the FONV/data folder, the patch was made, but some files were made in /overwrite, and the .esp left in /data.  AFAIK the .esp does not work by itself (did not but could have been conflict mentioned above).  I had to move the .esp into overwrite, then let MO make the mod for bashed patch to work.  Again .esp = 1600 KB compared to 100+ in Skyrim STEP-X with many extra mods.

Are suggested mods welcome for Worlds of Tomorrow?

Bladed gauntlet

If you've used the 'bladed gauntlet' (I looted one recently) you were likely disappointed in the original mesh/texture, it is horrible.  Here is a very fine mod that is made with a medical brace, belts and knives, so IMHO more appropriate look and lore construction: http://www.nexusmods...as/mods/40371/?

Backpacks?

Since I'm new to early series, maybe missed something, but have been looking for a backpack or mod.  Given TTW-based install I looked in FONV mods and found several, but all are linked to locations or NPC purchases in FONV not DC.  Here is one over at TTW forum though not many comments and I haven't tried it yet: https://taleoftwowas...ackpack-divanov

Idle & Walk Animations

Even with FONV/TTW some of the body movements in FO3 were, 'disturbing', then stumbled on this FO3 mod and gave it a try in the load order.  It works without hitch and noticed it does improve many of the stock animations.  I think the mod author provides 80 or so reworks?  Opinions welcome on whether this pre-FONV mod does improve on FONV, I don't have much in-game time.

Sleep

For me one of the most 'immersive' mods for Skyrim was one that generated random encounters during sleep cycles: http://www.nexusmods...m/mods/49307/?

No longer was safe sleep a given, it is very script light, and seems something like this would be ideal for hardcore play in Fallout.  I've searched some, but have not found anything comparable for FO, but interesting discussion on portable gear/sleep anywhere at TTW: https://taleoftwowas...ll-kit-dc-areas Opinions or suggestions?

Edited by Bandy, 12 September 2016 - 07:13 AM.

#99 Bandy

Bandy

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:17 PM

Sorry, forgot the link to the FO3 animations, if interested: http://www.nexusmods...ut3/mods/7670/?

Adonis, I see the TTW thread where you ported Metro Carriage Interiors https://taleoftwowas...riage-interiors and that it is on your WofT install list (though you are making your own mod).  Are all Metro cars supposed to have interiors with this mod?  The original mentions 200+ cars accomplished, but just went into the Jury Street Metro and the car parked in the raider occupied station does not allow me access to interior.  Wondering if something wrong.

#100 Bandy

Bandy

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:34 AM

Posted a likely bug confirmation with "Drink to Last!" level 2 perk at TTW on "More Perks" thread: https://taleoftwowas...2#comment-52970

Tried to use console cmd to get rid of the perk, but the base ID from the original Nexus mod author did not work.  Then tried adding a replacement perk, but console ID's for perks are not working for several that I tried.  This seems to indicate that the TTW conversion may have assigned different perk codes than are available from sources, but no ID's provided at TTW thread.  Or something else is broken?

Is it possible that other TTW "More Perks" are also silently failing?

#101 dekjo

dekjo

Prisoner

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:22 PM

Saw the notice at the top of the guide saying Adonis working through updates - I'm excited to see how they all shake out! I'll probably wait on my next playthrough for when the next version of TTW is available, but will definitely use this guide when I do. Just as a base of mods to use. :)

I see the "Last Updated" date on the top of the page updating (i.e., Last Update: 21:25:55 21 September 2016 (EST)) but when I go into the Change Log or Page History (Page Tools > History), I don't see any updates being tracked. I'm not familiar with the intricacies of STEP, so might be missing something, but how do we see the changes being made? Or will they all come at once when all the update are completed?

And thanks Adonis for all the work on this! Really appreciate it!

#102 Adonis_VII

Adonis_VII

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:16 AM

To start, my time has been more limited than planned. I'm going through 243 pages of comments at the moment so that's taking a lot of my time. On the bright side I just got my wedding rings yesterday!

Thank you for reply.

If I can be of any assistance, as a noob to installing/modding FO3/FONV/TTW means I have little to no community knowledge and therefore have a different perspective than someone with years in this game. It was very confusing at times given the years of development and long threads with necessary patch links found deep.  Apologies, I should have made notes of some of the little niggly things that tripped me up, the bigger things I posted here, mostly.

My 'Worlds of Tomorrow' install (how do you want to refer to it? WofT?) is complete, and I have played to level 3 thus far with just a few issues BUT it was not without BST (blood, sweat, tears... lol...). I did sections of install, played a little, installed more, all without problem so forged ahead with Wrye patch and had some LOD generation errors req'd several runs though think I may need to run it again (see below).

On start up the TTW splash screens and music played, but no game startup menu appeared.  So I began turning mods off in MO to see what caused it, and it ended up being the Wrye patch itself. I'm not sure why, or whether this should happen, but I can play WofT without a Wrye patch and only had 2 game hangs over 3 levels (at hardcore setting), so many hours of play over several days but just around Megaton and surrounding area to the NW, stability likely will change once I head to DC...

Issues with the game loading, e.g. lack of menus, intro screens etc, are usually due to error with masters of .esp and esm. Either missing, out of order, or errors in a particular plugin. Running them through xEdit will give you a more specific error. As for Wyre, I included SRB's instructions as the majority of the STEP community uses bash patches. I however prefer to make my own merge patch manually in xEdit as there is alot a bash patched does not catch. Expecting end users to fix that however is not realistic. I do plan on releasing a guide patch similar to the STEP patches to address this at some point.

Ah, "Big Red Square Exclamation Mark Error Remover by Kman420" with almost 15,000 unique downloads...

http://www.nexusmods...ut3/mods/4710/?

I have not removed any mod or otherwise bad mod practice AFAIK.  BUT on running LOOT before Wrye I got the message to clean ITM's in the ESM's, so I did since it was always hammered home to do so in Skyrim. 

Now I've seen a few posts on TTW forum saying not to clean ESM for Fallout....  Could this be the source of the missing texture or mesh?

I would not suggest downloading that. It merely hides the issue.

None of the esms should be cleaned. The practice of cleaning ESMs stems from having the unofficial patches on a per esm basis, allowing users to have patches for only some of the DLCs. The patches for Skyrim and Oblivion were built on the assumption that each esm is cleaned, to minimize for example DLC B from restoring vanilla values that DLC A needs.  The patches for Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas however were built on the assumption that the esms are not cleaned.  For Fallout 3 for instance DLC A erroneously changes a record which DLC B restores. DLC B is seen as an ITM and cleaning it therefore rebreaks the game. Both types of issues may occur in all Bethesda games, but the patches make certain assumptions when fixing them.

Bashed patch is now being generated and seems to work, but is the bashed patch,0.esp supposed to be 1,658 KB? Thats large compared to Skyrim, my only reference...

Regardless, the game was still "Unresponsive" at start up.  I ticked off mods in MO to isolate possible problems, and found that BornAgain FO3 Outcast Main and Helmet Fix were causing the game to be unresponsive.  I tried a new download and reinstall, but then just left them off my load order, made the bashed patch, and the game starts up correctly.

BornAgain FO3 Outcast Main and Helmet Fix do not have special instructions in the guide, but seem to overwrite:

1) Nov2011bookofsteel

2) BornAgain FO3 T45d 4096 huge v3 fixed

3) BornAgain Outcast T45d 4096 18221-1-0

Perhaps I left something out, but otherwise I'm not sure how to proceed, or if I need the FO3 Outcast and Helmet fix mods.

I'll have a look at those instructions again.

RE: Wrye bashed patch

Will try to be brief in explanation.  I did use the template bashed patch,0.esp in the FONV/data folder, the patch was made, but some files were made in /overwrite, and the .esp left in /data.  AFAIK the .esp does not work by itself (did not but could have been conflict mentioned above).  I had to move the .esp into overwrite, then let MO make the mod for bashed patch to work.  Again .esp = 1600 KB compared to 100+ in Skyrim STEP-X with many extra mods.

Are suggested mods welcome for Worlds of Tomorrow?

Bladed gauntlet

If you've used the 'bladed gauntlet' (I looted one recently) you were likely disappointed in the original mesh/texture, it is horrible.  Here is a very fine mod that is made with a medical brace, belts and knives, so IMHO more appropriate look and lore construction: http://www.nexusmods...as/mods/40371/?

Backpacks?

Since I'm new to early series, maybe missed something, but have been looking for a backpack or mod.  Given TTW-based install I looked in FONV mods and found several, but all are linked to locations or NPC purchases in FONV not DC.  Here is one over at TTW forum though not many comments and I haven't tried it yet: https://taleoftwowas...ackpack-divanov

Idle & Walk Animations

Even with FONV/TTW some of the body movements in FO3 were, 'disturbing', then stumbled on this FO3 mod and gave it a try in the load order.  It works without hitch and noticed it does improve many of the stock animations.  I think the mod author provides 80 or so reworks?  Opinions welcome on whether this pre-FONV mod does improve on FONV, I don't have much in-game time.

Sleep

For me one of the most 'immersive' mods for Skyrim was one that generated random encounters during sleep cycles: http://www.nexusmods...m/mods/49307/?

No longer was safe sleep a given, it is very script light, and seems something like this would be ideal for hardcore play in Fallout.  I've searched some, but have not found anything comparable for FO, but interesting discussion on portable gear/sleep anywhere at TTW: https://taleoftwowas...ll-kit-dc-areas Opinions or suggestions?

You're welcome to make suggestions, but there is already a lot going on behind the scenes that will overlap with the ones suggested. .

Sorry, forgot the link to the FO3 animations, if interested: http://www.nexusmods...ut3/mods/7670/?

Adonis, I see the TTW thread where you ported Metro Carriage Interiors https://taleoftwowas...riage-interiors and that it is on your WofT install list (though you are making your own mod).  Are all Metro cars supposed to have interiors with this mod?  The original mentions 200+ cars accomplished, but just went into the Jury Street Metro and the car parked in the raider occupied station does not allow me access to interior.  Wondering if something wrong.

As far as I'm aware, it all Metro cars should have an interior. However the original mod has a lot of wild edits. These have to be cleaned manually and I may have possibly removed some of the doors in the process. In principle I need to go back to the original, and go through every single record in preexisting cells and worldspaces, but it is difficult to find the motivation to maintain it when I have my own vechile without loading screens in the making along with everything else on my plate.

Posted a likely bug confirmation with "Drink to Last!" level 2 perk at TTW on "More Perks" thread: https://taleoftwowas...2#comment-52970

Tried to use console cmd to get rid of the perk, but the base ID from the original Nexus mod author did not work.  Then tried adding a replacement perk, but console ID's for perks are not working for several that I tried.  This seems to indicate that the TTW conversion may have assigned different perk codes than are available from sources, but no ID's provided at TTW thread.  Or something else is broken?

Is it possible that other TTW "More Perks" are also silently failing?

Many of the ID's may be different. Deadboy pretty much remade the entire mod and how the perks function with new scripting capabilities for higher comparability and to fix bugs in the original. Beyond that I can't comment as I haven't looked deep into how it's structured.

Saw the notice at the top of the guide saying Adonis working through updates - I'm excited to see how they all shake out! I'll probably wait on my next playthrough for when the next version of TTW is available, but will definitely use this guide when I do. Just as a base of mods to use. :)

I see the "Last Updated" date on the top of the page updating (i.e., Last Update: 21:25:55 21 September 2016 (EST)) but when I go into the Change Log or Page History (Page Tools > History), I don't see any updates being tracked. I'm not familiar with the intricacies of STEP, so might be missing something, but how do we see the changes being made? Or will they all come at once when all the update are completed?

And thanks Adonis for all the work on this! Really appreciate it!

So I added that last updated part in an attempt to make it easier to see when users should check the change log. I must have done it wrong because it updates much more frequently than when I actually save an edit to the page.  In either case, all majors changes, beyond things like spelling, grammer, etc., will be in the change log.

#103 Bandy

Bandy

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:15 AM

Thank you for replies, and best wishes on your upcoming nuptials. 

As mentioned a few times above, I wish I could edit my posts afterwards because I managed to resolve the bashed patch issue (solution for me not expressly found in related help threads)  and some others over time, and would have liked to delete and update those posts so it doesn't look like I'm spamming quite so much... 

Again, your guide is terrific for providing a solid TTW install base, with additional well thought out mods/textures from which to move forward and customize according to personal taste (like backpacks and sleep mats...).  WofT has run with complete stability over 10 levels thus far and many nail-biting hours of fun. 

Cheers!

Edited by Bandy, 29 September 2016 - 07:17 AM.

#104 Bandy

Bandy

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:36 AM

As posted at TTW forum performance guide thread: https://taleoftwowas...rformance-guide my stable WofT install started to CTD every 5-10 minutes with, AFAIK, no changes to game folder, mods, OS, or system hardware, so for no apparent reason.

Searching for CTD solutions I "found" the bUseThreadedAI=1 and iNumHWThreads=2 fix, then edited just the fallout.ini via Mod Organizer ini-edit feature, and CTD's went away all weekend. Looking at the WofT install guide, I find that you do list these ini edits so I know would have followed them, but for some reason they seem to have reverted back to vanilla values in my TTW install.  Grasping for a reason here, but can only think it may be due to a steam update, which did occur before all this drama... 

A suggestion, but perhaps for the WofT guide tell people to use the MO ini edit feature, which I understand leaves vanilla files alone but injects when game launched from that platform.

Also, and just curious, but the TTW performance thread includes more ini, shader, dll sound, and other edits that you do not list (apologies, unless I've missed them), for example step 3 in the OP of that thread:

3.) Now, we shall enable the engine's built in purging within the three INIs mentioned above. If you're playing with Zan's AutoPurge Crash Protector, uninstall it before applying these superior changes.

bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=0 to bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=1
bSelectivePurgeUnusedOnFastTravel=0 to bSelectivePurgeUnusedOnFastTravel=1

S!

#105 Adonis_VII

Adonis_VII

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:53 PM

All ini edits were assumed to be made through MO. I'll clarify the instructions to better reflect that.  I'm not yet fully convinced of the stability of those purges as I know there were issues before (which may have been fixed with more recent NVAC) so I am not ready to put them in the guide at this time. 

I'm almost done with the update, maybe 2-3 days. I'm putting all changes here. Once I'm finished, I'll roll them over to the main guide page all at once with comprehensive changelog.  I've just about finished my ingestibles and survival overhaul as well and will be adding that. Just my luck however, TTW 3.0 is about to come out very soon. They've already distributed it to some of the main testers who've already made patches ready for when it drops.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fallout_NV, fallout_nv, ttw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users