Mod Organizer "failed to initialize renderer

ShiftyPrick

Question

Whenever i try to launch skyrim using mod organizer i get the error message "failed to initialize renderer". This only happens when i try to launch through MO I can use the default lauch just fine. I've tryed deleting my skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini, but that did nothing. Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

EDIT:

Moved this to the main MO Support forum.

10 answers to this question

Which INI files did you remove?

When you create a profile in MO it makes copies of the INI files it finds in C:\Users\<YOURNAME>\Documents\My Games\skyrim\

and places MO copies in the 'profiles' folder. If your initial set of files were corrupted then the copies MO made, and use, will also be useless.

Try removing all your profiles' INI files, remove the ones in your 'My Documents' and rerun the Skyrim Launcher to generate new ones and then proceed from that set.

i'm in the process of following STEP, and something similar happened to me.
it seems one of those additional tools or in accompanying guides the links to directx/dotnetframework/... packages did cause (software) harm to my graphics settings.

not sure what exactly is wrong or to blame, but other games stopped working, complaining e.g. about missing directx (dxdiag tells me i have directx12 installed and dxdiag has no errors on any of its tabs). skyrim threw the same error as the thread opener for me, and trying to follow your advise is not working as expected: while before the game always detected ultra high settings from my grahics card (an nvidia gtx 960M and also some intel HD - i have a dell XPS laptop), now the screen goes black and after a long time it reports that graphic settings have been set to low.

that should not be, right???

does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

None of the current games that are used with MO run with DirectX 12. Skyrim uses v.11 and most of the earlier games will use v.9.

.NET software is also very finicky and you will need to ensure your system has either enabled or installed the correct versions. The MO guide has a section describing how to do this.

I always thought DirectX is backwards compatible. Like .... you can only have one directx version installed, but if it is, e.g., 11, then anything needing lowerversions are covered. ...

I'll check the link, thanks.

Small update: I did a restart and now other games are working again just fine. I then did your initial suggestion again (deleting inis). Skyrim still detected that my graphics card cannot handle anything better than low settings, but ... dunno. if this is a bad sign, please let me know, because then there must be something wrong with my graphics drivers now. I did change everything manually, did all the STEP suggested ini settings, and now the game launches. can't say anything about quality yet, didn't have the time to check that.

in my skyrimprefs.ini it is set correctly to my nvidia. why it got the low settings is still a mystery to me.
about directx9: if i use google to look for dx9 and go to the main page from MS, then the installer would deny me to use it, as it's not supported by win10. hm....

i did benchmarking yday and the game started and looked just fine (finished with part 2.D in the 2.2.9.2 guide). but GPU-z got only core clock and temperature information, nothing else (and GPU-z was also set for my nvidia graphics). Which worries me...

if it's just skyrim i can redo the installation, not a huge deal. if i fudged up important graphics settings, without finding out where and how and why, that would be less cool :(

will continue with STEP 2.E today

about directx9: if i use google to look for dx9 and go to the main page from MS, then the installer would deny me to use it, as it's not supported by win10. hm....

Go here instead:

https://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost#Recommendations

Follow install instruction #1: "Download and install the DirectX 9 Runtimes. (This is for good measure to prevent some commonly reported issues on the forums. Be sure to install it and not just extract it!)"

To clarify, the words "DirectX 9 Runtimes" are a clickable link to the download page you need.

Edit: for clarity.

Edited by Joat_Mon

hi Joat_Mon,

ah, that's the page I was on, I followed those instructions. so I should have both dx9 and dx12.

many thanks for pointing it out, though!

@administrators of the guide: don't know about this, but the "ALTERNATIVELY" part is kinda useless to me, as it says if the wrapper doesn't work as advertised. I have no idea what the wrapperversion is supposed to do.

the optional part, btw: maybe it should be said that many video games have better performance if run in windowed mode. i did place those settings.