Windows 10 - Overall Review and Modding

TechAngel85

• 3 months later...
For anyone who has not heard of Never10

Go to 1:08:25 ish ( or go to 1:17:50 to skip the history of how it came about ), and listen .. Theres a fair bit more to this than just setting a registry key, Never10 does it all aswell as setting access rights on the registry keys ( which are inherited ) so that even windows cannot undo what Never10 has done, Never10 can toggle it all again if you ever wish to install 10 at a later date.

I have added this to the start of the OP in this topic, replacing all the old "dont allow windows update number xxxxx" list, or blocking GWX.

Never10 is a far better way of preventing Win 10 happening. If GWX sees these changes and has already downloaded 3gb of Windows files for the pending update .. GWX honours the settings and deletes the now redundant 3gb of files, so you clear up some HD space being hogged too.

My method is to never activate windows update in the first place. It caused too many bugs in the past. Just shift the windows firewall to group policy so no program can add exceptions. It is a really good, lightweight FW solution. You have to have a secure FW if you disable windows update.

Riiight - And for people who want their Windows 7 / 8 kept up to date with all the zero day exploits fixed until support officially runs out ( circa 2020 ? ) use Never10 instead.

Doesnt your method also need to use GPEdit ?, most people with Home or Premium versions of Win 7 / 8 do not have that capability ( which is also another advantage of Never10 )

The logo at the top and bottom looks a bit like the IGN logo. I don't think that is a good idea when trying to launch a trustworthy piece of software to the masses.

Edited by Guest

The logo at the top and bottom looks a bit like the IGN logo. I don't think that is a good idea when trying to launch a trustworthy piece of software to the masses.

The G for Gibson Research Company logo ?, I think he has been using that since about 2003, his Unplug N Pray tool from 2001 did not have it ( still works on more recent versions of windows ), but his Shoot the messenger from 2003 did ( have a look at the top right of the tool ). And even more recently his DNS Benchmark has a coloured in Logo that has quite a neat anim when it first loads. Spinrite also has the logo in more recent years versions ( wish he would finish SQRL and get on with the next version )

I dont think Steve Gibson would even know who IGN are, unless they have been newsworthy in a security sense then he probably does.

Riiight - And for people who want their Windows 7 / 8 kept up to date with all the zero day exploits fixed until support officially runs out ( circa 2020 ? ) use Never10 instead.

Doesnt your method also need to use GPEdit ?, most people with Home or Premium versions of Win 7 / 8 do not have that capability ( which is also another advantage of Never10 )

Opinions differ on the matter of firewalls vs updates. Afaik if you have a secure firewall, you are also safe from the exploits. Last time I looked (about 2 years ago), there where only 2 security relevant updates anyway. It took me a long time to read through all the updates but I was quite surprised that I found only 2 relevant updates (SP1 installed).

The method I use is only possible with the pro version of windows.

Edited by Spock

I, too, read and selectively install updates but the majority still end up getting installed. There are a few that I read over and say, "uh...yeah, I don't think Microsoft". This is how I am currently not bothered by the Windows 10 upgrade "bloatware". But I still ran this tool for the registry fix for this issue, just in case I miss something. Can never be too careful.

The introduction of Windows 10 and the switch in Microsoft's strategy has made Windows Update somewhat of a pain in the backside. I used to just automatically install the important updates and selectively install the optional updates. These days I spent a lot of time carefully reading the descriptions of every update Microsoft releases and I do not install any updates that seem even remotely dicey or that lack a clear description. I've been seeing a few lately that have a list of updated files but that fail to mention the purpose of the update. It's gotten to the point that I don't check Windows Update as often as I should because it's so time consuming to double check everything.

• 3 weeks later...

Bash has been available on Windows for at least a decade so this isn't anything new. Check out packages like Cygwin, Gnu on Windows, MSys, and others that provide *nix environments for Windows.

True, but I actually think the inclusion of BASH as a native commandline will be a great boon. This means installs can be automated with advanced file/folder manipulation by simply using Windows own tools with no 3rd party software needed.

For those that package tools or mods that need to do verification of existing software this may mean an easy way for new users to get all the requirements checked BEFORE they stuff up their games.