Windows 10 - Overall Review and Modding

TechAngel85

I grant that that bash (and the other *sh clones) put the Windows command line interpreter to shame. In fact, the Windows command line interpreter is very inflexible and doesn't really support much beyond the basics. PowerShell is very powerful and capable, and structured object manipulation leaves the *sh clones in the dust. The downside is that it has a steep learning curve so very few people really know how to use it beyond the basic dir and copy. Bash could theoretically fill a void, but I think it'll be a long time before it catches any traction due to the masses that aren't migrating to Windows 10.

• 2 weeks later...

It is primarily a shot at the hearts and minds of devs, Microsoft are working very hard and playing very nicely to to be a player again in web scale development. This allows the massive FOSS ecosystem to treat them as just another Unix like system and bring a lot of tools onto Windows.

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove some of the apps like Groove Music etc.? They're baked in the OS so might not be possible but would certainly be nice. I have about 75GB free on a 156GB SSD drive (just got a new laptop) and all that's really on there is the stuff that came on the laptop (gaming tools since gaming laptop) which I've either removed or trimmed down but still looking to free up some more room so I can do some modding.

I also think I've tamed the OS's nosey nature but not entirely certain, looked at a few things around the web to make sure there wasn't anything else and didn't find anything I hadn't already done, if anyone knows a good place to find some suggestions or such that'd also be appreciated.

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove some of the apps like Groove Music etc.? They're baked in the OS so might not be possible but would certainly be nice. I have about 75GB free on a 156GB SSD drive (just got a new laptop) and all that's really on there is the stuff that came on the laptop (gaming tools since gaming laptop) which I've either removed or trimmed down but still looking to free up some more room so I can do some modding.

I also think I've tamed the OS's nosey nature but not entirely certain, looked at a few things around the web to make sure there wasn't anything else and didn't find anything I hadn't already done, if anyone knows a good place to find some suggestions or such that'd also be appreciated.

Did you miss my post earlier about this?

I remembered you'd posted something but looking through 2another 15 pages after the few I did was not looking promising, while I was waiting on an answer I also found 5 Cyberlink programs that while some might be useful if I could find a way to migrate them to the HDD, I could do without most of them, and they're using up 1GB a piece so they must go as soon as I make an image of it as is in case they're tied in to another program or something stupid like that. Could those commands you listed be run as a batch file? I know cmd can use them but haven't used powershell in ages.

• 2 weeks later...

So -

After best part of a year now, what is the verdict on Windows 10 vs. STEP and all the modding utilities? Everything work?

Anything you need to do to make them work correctly under Win10 if they don't?

---------------------------------------------

On my laptop, I have several DOS MKLINK (Make Link) commands setup to create a directory “Junction†to move save folders around. Does anyone know if they will transfer on a Win10 upgrade? Or even work anymore?  (As in mklink /j “{my docs path}\my games†“n:\My Gamesâ€)

---------------------------------------------

On another note - I have ALL of the Elder Scrolls games and several other "legacy" games running on DosBox, or are vintage 2006 or earlier. Anyone know if they will work on Windows 10? (I know this is a 'Skyrim' forum; but others must have older games they run...) 

I find it difficult to disagree, especially after reading some internet security stuff (I recommend computercrimeinfo.com), and a lot of the above posts about Win 10.

I would still like to see what you all have found or not on my questions, even if only to satisfy my curiosity.

OBTW:

I did run spybot anti-beacon on my Win 7-Pro notebook, and did find several telemetry issues to fix. Yeah Microsoft  :lol:  :O_o:  :confused:

Sorry but I'll disagree with that statement. As far as gaming is concerned, and the tools that we use to mod those games, there is nothing wrong with Win10.

As for security breaches, imagined or otherwise, that's a different matter.

Sorry but I'll disagree with that statement. As far as gaming is concerned, and the tools that we use to mod those games, there is nothing wrong with Win10.

As for security breaches, imagined or otherwise, that's a different matter.

DirectX 9 under Windows 10 is crippled and I can not recommend it until they fix it. Too many games that users still play still run on DX9. This is especially true since we're taking about a modded Skyrim.

Free upgrade to Windows 10 will end July 29, 2016. Good or bad news depends on how you look at it. Hopefully, they stop nagging people to upgrade.

I personally don't have any problem playing heavily modded FNV and Skyrim on Windows 10. No perceivable performance difference between Windows 7 and 10 in these games in my own testing. Limitation of DirectX 9 under Windows 10 is just a theoretical problem in my opinion. Most people with reasonable modding practice are very unlikely to use more than 4G VRAM. Full SRLE setup with 2K textures pack uses only about 3.5G VRAM. 

Edited by darkside

I remembered you'd posted something but looking through 2another 15 pages after the few I did was not looking promising, while I was waiting on an answer I also found 5 Cyberlink programs that while some might be useful if I could find a way to migrate them to the HDD, I could do without most of them, and they're using up 1GB a piece so they must go as soon as I make an image of it as is in case they're tied in to another program or something stupid like that. Could those commands you listed be run as a batch file? I know cmd can use them but haven't used powershell in ages.

Google is your friend (and mine). all you need can be found by searching:

"remove bloatware from windows 10"

... unfortunately, certain Windows updates undo the manual removal of this useless bloat, so you need to run some of these commands intermitently.