Windows 10 - Overall Review and Modding

TechAngel85

Something else to note for those of us who will be Dual booting Win 10 with Linux at some point in the near future

This topic on the EasyBCD tools forum also applies to Win 10 aswell as Win 8

( EasyBCD Forum https://neosmart.net/forums/forums/easybcd-support.7 )

This is perhaps what was happening with the keyboard and mouse issue I was having, though I found another way around it.

A question I have is concerning how many services and processes are running in the back ground....Why does Microsoft think so many things need to be going on after booting?.....This has always bothered me about windows.......does it really need to be using so much of a PC's resources?

I was kinda hoping that W10  would be all that's good about 7,8, and 8.1,.   but is it?

This isn't an extensive comparison, all I've done is run the 'Services' tool in both the host and VM OSes and performed a visual check, but I don't think there is any significant change to Win 7 and Win 10 with regards to services that MS declares as needed for a correct OS.

As with any version there will no doubt be articles outlining which ones you can change to manual or those that can be disabled entirely. Modern OSes need a lot of hooks in to subsystems to fully leverage the potential of every machine and the number of services is, IMO, inconsequential.

I didn't do an extensive comparison either, but it looks about the same with the addition of the deployment service for Windows Store apps, the XBox service, and a few others. One really disappointing aspect is that I opened the start menu, typed services.msc and the only results it shows are Bing search results. A similar search on Windows 7 opens the Services MMC snap-in. I'm not a big fan of having Bing or Google searches in the start menu anyway.

One really disappointing aspect is that I opened the start menu, typed services.msc and the only results it shows are Bing search results. A similar search on Windows 7 opens the Services MMC snap-in. I'm not a big fan of having Bing or Google searches in the start menu anyway.

I noticed that right away as well, not a huge fan of the new start menu tying into Bing either. It looks like if you type services.msc, two buttons will appear at the bottom of the start menu, "My Stuff" & "Web". If you click on My Stuff it brings up the Services MMC snap-in shortcut to click on. Seems like a step backwards though making users click on an additional button to get to where they need to go. It looks like you can supposedly edit three Group Policy settings to disable the Bing searches, but so far after changing them it's still including Bing in the search results.

UPDATE* I just installed Build 10130 and have noticed a fairly significant difference in speed/stability while using the Edge browser. Granted, I haven't used it for too long just yet but on the last build it was noticeably hanging while attempting to load certain webpages.

Edited by Kessno

I agree with the last two posts. MS is always trying to ram Bing (and their other proprietary solutions) down our throats. The same applies to Xbox ... searching for something should bring up results from within the Xbox Live and related xbox apps, but instead, you get a Bing internet search result in IE that may or may not have anything to do with Xbox and certainly does not help me in the context of my xbox, since I am now browsing the internet (total waste of my time).

I noticed that right away as well, not a huge fan of the new start menu tying into Bing either. It looks like if you type services.msc, two buttons will appear at the bottom of the start menu, "My Stuff" & "Web". If you click on My Stuff it brings up the Services MMC snap-in shortcut to click on. Seems like a step backwards though making users click on an additional button to get to where they need to go. It looks like you can supposedly edit three Group Policy settings to disable the Bing searches, but so far after changing them it's still including Bing in the search results.

Yeah, I see others saying that apparently the Group Policy settings either haven't been implemented yet or were removed from Windows 10. I think Microsoft has an incentive to send all searches to Bing because they use it to provide targeted advertising in web searches, Store applications, and other places. I'm not a big fan of Store applications either because these are primarily used to target advertising, to collect targeted advertising information, and to collect who knows what other kind of data these apps can find.

I did find one workaround that neuters Bing searches in the Start thingie. Open Control Panel, open Windows Firewall, click Advanced Settings. After this opens, click Outbound Rules, search for and double click on Search, select Block the connection, and click OK. Take this one with a grain of salt because this may prevent Search from searching network devices.

Windows be it 7, 8 or 10 is simply the OS I use to game on. For any serious work it must be a *nix system ideally Linux but OS X will do at a push.

I will upgrade to Windows 10 some time after launch to let the bugs get ironed out by early adopters, probably shortly before the first DX12 game I want to try comes out.

The state of UX design and "innovation" is terrible across all OS and distros at the moment too much that simply works is being changed for the sake of change.

Yeah, I see others saying that apparently the Group Policy settings either haven't been implemented yet or were removed from Windows 10. I think Microsoft has an incentive to send all searches to Bing because they use it to provide targeted advertising in web searches, Store applications, and other places. I'm not a big fan of Store applications either because these are primarily used to target advertising, to collect targeted advertising information, and to collect who knows what other kind of data these apps can find.

I did find one workaround that neuters Bing searches in the Start thingie. Open Control Panel, open Windows Firewall, click Advanced Settings. After this opens, click Outbound Rules, search for and double click on Search, select Block the connection, and click OK. Take this one with a grain of salt because this may prevent Search from searching network devices.

For this kind of thing I think they may have poked it into Windows Components

Open control panel, go to programs and features and check for something like "Turn on or off Windows features" and uncheck the Windows components you don't need.

Same place you go to get rid of IE or Media Player, they probably want it to be a default install so that your search engine always adopts Bing instead of Google / Yahoo etc, and thus Microsoft gets to cash in on tracking your behaviour patterns instead of other third parties. Spartan will also have Bing as its default search engine, which you would need to make another search engine default ( like Adding Ixquick Search engine ) instead before you could attempt to remove it.

Sorry this is one of the most stupid things I've read in a long time.

To clarify I am speaking from a purely subjective position, I am System Engineer what used to be called a System Administrator before the term became debased. I work almost exclusively with *nix systems for me a Windows workstation doesn't cut it., I lose 20-30% efficiency and in some cases the tools simply aren't there. Same with OS X, even using tools like Homebrew or ports there are compromises to be made. If I was a dev who spends 90% of their time in an IDE the OS wouldn't matter so much. By the same token if I was a designer and someone offered me Ubuntu and the GIMP, I would be very upset.

I am not an OS fanboi or fanboi of any description, I am writing this on a Mac and there are 3 Windows desktops in the house, as well as numerous Linux and BSD desktops and servers.

Ah. You should have said that in the first place. Nothing wrong with working with what you personally are the most familiar with (I wouldn't even know how to start Linux). The way you put it it gave the wrong impression.

Sorry, I will use language not paragraph structure to avoid confusion in future. :)