ReduceSystemMemoryUsage Causing Performance Issues

Audley

Question

Hey STEP! Audley here with yet another strange performance issue that no one else seems to have.

I finally decided I wanted to use an ENB with New Vegas but one of the best features of ENBoost causes me performance issues. Let me clarify. Whenever I have ReduceSystemMemoryUsage set to True, it causes me massive (and I do mean massive) jerking, stuttering, hitching, and lag throughout the game. Rendering the game unplayable. However, when setting this back to false, all performance issues go away. I have tried every combination of settings in my ENBlocal.ini but only disabling the setting completely gives me my performance back (or doing what I said below).

However, I did find out that if I set EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks to True, paired alongside ReduceSystemMemoryUsage, it will fix the issue. Though because I do not really know what EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks does, I was not sure if it was a good idea to keep it enabled. I would like to use an ENB but if I cannot use ReduceSystemMemory then it is not worth it to me as this is the biggest reason I would like to use an ENB.

If anyone has any ideas why this is happening I am all ears. Thank you in advance.

Cheers, Audley

System Specs:

i5 4670 (No OC) @3.4

2GB GTX 760 SC (No further OC)

8 GB of DDR3

Windows 8.1 64x (Completely updated)

1920x1080 60hz Monitor

GeForce Experience = Not Installed

Edit: I tried turning EnableCompression off, does not help. I have tried other ENB's and saves - no success.

Edited by Audley

I had the exact same issue as Audley.  I reported about it a long time ago in the FNV main forum.  There was one other setting in the enblocal file that would cause the same issues if set to "true" and it was in the same memory handling section of the ini - may have been ExpandSystemMemoryX64 but I forget .  It was horrible, so I decided not to try to use the memory management portion of ENBoost for FNV because it just made the game horrendous for me to play.  I have no problem with using the same exact functions in Skyrim.

I have decided to just not use an ENB until I get some sort of fix for this without using the EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks. Without using ENBoost it is just not worth it to me. The visuals are not enough to make me want to use an ENB. Shame though. :\

Well, I have decided that I would like to figure out what is causing this issue for me. So I started with the basics. I checked both my memory and HDD for errors; none came up. I checked in the BIOS and made sure everything was OK and that nothing was wonky. I did some research and made sure that there wasn't any weird Windows setting that could be causing performance loss with memory. Everything with my hardware seems fine. So I will keep you guys updated.

I'm having the same kind of issue. If I don't use the unsafe hack I have a lot of stuttering and freezes.

But to use it I have to be very careful to not use all the VRAM on my CG because then I crash, obviously since I don't have the memory management from the ENB.

I have a 770 with 4GB VRAM.

I tried probably every settings in enbseries.ini and some do reduce the stuttering but the freezes stayed. Optimizing the textures also helped a lot.

In the end it's mostly my fault for using too much and too big (and sometimes not optimized) textures mods.

Well I have yet to find any kind of solution. :\ I tried every thing I could think off but no luck. It is going to take someone more knowledgeable than me to figure out what is causing this issue. In the end I have weight the pros against the cons for using an ENB and I have decided that the pros don't outway the cons for me. So I will be sticking with something like FNVRWL.

You are definitly right TechAngel. I wasn't aware that others were having the same issue. I went ahead and posted a topic in the forum over at ENBDev.com. So, hopefully Boris can shed some light as to why this is happening. Here is the link: Link

Thanks for all the help guys.

Cheers, Audley

Well I officially give up. I have tried every single thing I could think of at this point. I even took out my ram and played Musical Ram for a while to make sure that one of my RAM sticks or slots wasn't bad. I think this is a problem with ENBoost that only affects some people maybe?