DDSopt - texture optimization problem

nameerf

Question

Hi all,

I followed the guide recently and all went well..

I then decided to do some DDSoptmization as recommended and I followed the "Fallout QUICK-START GUIDE" optimizing the list of recommended mods. I also "split" the large mods with multiple resolutions as decribed by the "Additional Batch File Capability" text snippet for the mods: NMCs Texture Pack, UHQ Terrain Overhaul and the DLC Retextures.

I should also note that I used the default Constraints with 2048x2048 resolution limit for everything except for "Mod Exterior Normal Maps" which I used 1024*1024 to reduce VRAM use a little.

For the most part all went well except for the folowing problem (see screenshot):

post-2971-0-42557000-1434615685_thumb.png

Every rock in the game looks like this. I narrowed down the problem to the "UHQ Terrain Overhaul" mod and I redid the optimization but this time I used 2048x2048 resolution limit for everything and the problem is gone!

Is there something wrong with the textures of this mod and DDSoptimization? Because I would like to use 1024*1024 for "Mod Exterior Normal Maps" for all mods if possible.

I have an old but decent 560ti GPU with 2GB of VRAM.

Thanks

Edit: typo

Edited by nameerf

5 answers to this question

DDSopt doesn't work on every texture although there usually aren't any problems unless the texture has a drastic change in it. Were you able to determine which texture it is; it is likely to be a singe texture used in many places in the game? Did you look in the DDSopt logs to see if there were any textures that had problems?

No I didn't go that far as to search and find the problematic texture, but I checked the log's final status at the bottom where it reported 14|15 broken textures IIRC.

If it helps I could do it one more time (I have an SSD) and attach the log(s) here, because I don't have THAT much free time to actually search for the problematic texture(s)..

Edited by nameerf

For whatever reason, DDSopt does MOST textures well for me. But I always end up having issues with the following textures: rocks, roads, and the face textures for NPC's. I am also using the UHQ Terrain Overhaul too. What I would do if I were you is to go ahead and re-optimize the textures but first remove all the rocks.