xEdit Guide

TechAngel85

The full post copy:

Blocks and SubBlocks are actual GRUP records stored in plugins, game uses them to quickly find temporary exterior cells when player travels around. Their numbers depend on cell's X,Y coordinates, actually cells are placed into those groups depending on their X,Y.

Blocks and SubBlocks numbers for a cell record are calculated this way, assuming (CellX, CellY) are the cell's coordinates stored in XCLC subrecord.

SubBlockX = (int) CellX / 8

if (CellX

BlockX = (int) SubBlockX / 4

if (SubBlockX

The same for Y.

So each SubBlock holds a grid of 8x8 cells, and each Block 4x4 SubBlocks, or 32x32 cells.

This is a WastelandNV map with overlayed blocks, subblocks and cell coordinates of bottom left corner of each subblock to give you the overview. You can view it yourself in FNVEdit pressing Alt+F3 for any worldspace, including your own (just select opacity to overlay grid).

The only exception is a singe persistent CELL having 0,0 as coordinates which holds all persistent references of worldspace, it is a direct child of WRLD record and game loads all those references regardless the position of player, hence the name "persistent".

Interior cells use groups too under top CELL group, but they are determined differently. Cells can be only temporary, they hold both temporary and persistent references.

Hexadecimal FormID number of a CELL record is converted to the integer value excluding the leading byte which is load order and changes dynamically depending on the position of plugin. The last decimal number determines Block number, the previous one is SubBlock.

Lets take this cell as an example NovacMotelRoomTwin2 "Motel Room" [CELL:000CD3E1]

Hex value 0CD3E1 converted to integer is 840673, so the physical locaton of that cell inside a plugin file is FalloutNV.esm \ Cell \ Block 3 \ Sub-Block 7 \ 000CD3E1 (as FNVEdit shows you).

You can read more about plugin file format, it is the same since Oblivion (except extra 4 bytes in record's header for Version Control information).

p.s. Don't know why I'm writing all of this, was kind of surprised seeing this "The block/Sub-Block format for grouping/displaying cells is just that - a display method. Those numbers don't actually exist in the plugin/Geck/Game" cool.gif  while they do actually physically exist, though GECK doesn't show them. It is only an internal search optimization method for the game.

• +1 1

• 1 month later...

Knock Knock.

Anyone still interested in working on this Guide? The work done will remain, but I wanted to get an idea if anyone still has this on their radar or to-do list?

I've been busy with other things, and had to take a complete break lately. Just re-downloading Skyrim now. It's still on my own "todo", but no ETA.

• 3 months later...

I finally got around lying down what I knew about basic record structure, which was the main thing that refrained me on going further into the xEdit guide.

This is in a separate guide about plugins files : https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Plugins_Files

Wouldn't mind a technical (zilav ?), visual (tech ? DY ? Hishy ?), and grammatical (Grant ?) review on this one.

The third section is mostly containing placeholders right now, I'd just like to explain in here some specific things that have to be kept in mind when working on plugins/load order. I got a bit carried away when writing the thing about reference so it doesn't make much sense.

• 1 year later...

Just a quick post to say that I've gone through the top couple sections of the guide and made some quick fixes to grammar, structure, wiki syntax, and added a bit of info to make reading more smooth and flow better. This still needs to be completed for the rest of the guide. I also fixed up the header so it's not causing a larger white space.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...