v2.2.9.2 Development

TechAngel85

I think we're going to have to recommend a new game this time, what with USLEEP, Footprints, and DynDoLOD all recommending it. Gonna have to do new game or suffer bugs.

I agree. I was going to start a new game with USLEEP release anyway with COCA added in to test it during my playthrough. With Immersive Citizens also being added and several mods updated like FNIS, DSR, etc...I'm going to highly recommend a new game! I actually still need to rebuild my DynDOLOD install. I've been running without it since I updated Moss Rocks to continue testing things.

3.B.1. Optimize Field of View (FOV)

Prior to 2008, the most common monitor resolutions were 16:10 aspect ratio (source). Since then, 16:9 has become the standard. The Skyrim FOV defaults to 75 (%) and is optimized for monitor aspect ratio of 16:10. Therefore, users with 16:9 monitors (e.g. 1920x1080) will want to increase their FOV to 81. Setting this in the INI does not persist, so it must be done via the console. Within Skyrim, open the console (tap the tilde [~] key) and type: fov 81 . Those rare and unfortunate users stuck with 4:3 aspect ratio will need to 'reduce' their FOV down to 62.

A helpful conversion calculator can assist in calculation of other monitor types (just type in a 16:10 on the right side and the new resolution on the left to get the new hFOV).

Where did all this originate? I know there is at least one error with it: Skyrim's default fov is 65, not 75. It is near impossible to use that conversion calculator as well.

I tried researching why the FOV tweaks are believed not to persist, and I kept reading that the issue is believed to occur with special scenes, such as the introductory scene.

I also read from different sources that if you edit the INI with the FOV tweaks listed on STEP, but put "X"s in place of the numbers (specific amount of "X"s listed, with decimals for some, etc.), then in-game, console the fov number you were looking for, save and quit, fov will persist.

The latter doesn't really make sense to me, as how would this make it any different than putting the numbers in yourself in the INI? Unless it puts in different numbers, with decimal places.

Anyway, regardless, I think it would be a good addition (maybe with a note that the FOV tweaks might reset, and may have to be added again).

Like Tech mentioned above, I also forget to change FOV using the console, about 50% of the time. Would be great to not have to have the hassle of having to console it every time. Even if we have to check every once in a while that it didn't reset.

You're right. Forgot about that. We could just add that to the instructions.

; Enables settings for changing fov
bEnableFOVOverride=1

; Settings for changing fov
fFirstPersonFOV=70.59
fFirstPersonFOVSitting=70.59
fFirstPersonFOVCrafting=70.59
fFirstPersonFOVKnockout=70.59
fFirstPersonFOVDeath=70.59
fFirstPersonFOVCannibal=70.59
fFirstPersonFOVVampireFeed=70.59
fFirstPersonFOVMounted=70.59
fFirstPersonFOVMountedCombat=70.59
fFirstPersonFOVMountTransition=70.59
fFirstPersonFOVWerewolf=70.59
fFirstPersonFOVVampireLord=70.59
fFirstPersonFOVScripted=70.59
fThirdPersonFOV=70.59

Where did all this originate? I know there is at least one error with it: Skyrim's default fov is 65, not 75. It is near impossible to use that conversion calculator as well.

I wrote it and provided the links ... 'default' FOV depends on your monitor aspect ratio. Purportedly, it's 65 for 16:10 and it's 75 for 16:9 ... but I am not sure it that is absolute fact (can't remember my findings). 16:10 and 75 look best (so after conversion, 16:9 and 81 are analogous).

'Proper' conversion is 81 (if changing to 16:10 from 16:9 where the original is 75) and 60 (if changing from 16:9 to 16:10 where the original is 65) .... but those conversions ONLY matter if you want to keep the Skyrim default FOV when switching to a new monitor with a new aspect ratio in either direction stated, AND you want to preserve the analogous FOV to either of the Skyrim default aspect ratios. (many people agree that the defaults are not 'ideal', because they are more related to the console version of the game and not the LCD of most PCs)).

I tested various FOV exhaustively using various scenes and motion in game and measured the relative differences in object sizes as those objects got closer to the edge of the screen (higher FOV results in a larger view field at the expense of linearly-proportional inflation of relative size as objects approach the edge of the screen from center i.e., fish eye). After much testing, I found that one could get slightly more 'immersed' into the content by slightly increasing the view field (seeing more) from the default. For 16:10, increasing from "whatever the default was" (probably 65) to 75 was a good result without obviously deforming the scene (fish-eye look). This corresponds to 81 for 16:9.

What is wrong in that description is that I recommended an increase for 16:9 (from 65 to 75) when it actually should be a decrease relative to my assessed 'ideal' for 16:10 (75 to 81). So I recommend using 81 in that calculator for 16:10 and using that value for 16:9, which should actually be 75.1.

It is all subjective, but I think that increasing the view is something that everyone wants (reality is 360 ... well, it's really 180 I suppose for those that don't have eyes in the back of their head :whistling: ), so why not increase it in a way that does not cause any obvious deformation? Makes sense, and I did the work, so may as well share the (corrected) result of that labor.

Naysayers, please test default FOV by entering the console and typing ' fov ' then see what it looks like when changing by entering console and typing either ' fov 65 ' (16:10) or ' fov 75 ' (16:9). If there is no change, then you have just confirmed the default for your Skyrim/monitor. Now change using ' fov 81 ' (16:9) or ' fov 75 ' (16:10). If everyone agrees that the difference is an improvement, then this is good advice ;)

Also of interest: Preserving FOV in Skyrim

OK, so now we're finally making sense of it. The description made it too confusing, that's for sure.

That supposed permanent FOV fix is bogus. It violates the following value rules I discovered and added to the STEP Configuration Settings guide:

• The value is defined as all characters between the equal sign (=) and the end of the line within 255 characters prior to the first character that the setting will not accept.
  • setting will accept whatever value is given it, but will stop accepting that value if it goes outside the range which that setting is allowed to accept, determined by the type of setting it is defined as per its prefix (e.g., iPresentInterval=1;disable is read as iPresentInterval=1 and sIntroSequence=BGS_LOGO.BIK;disable is read as sIntroSequence=BGS_LOGO.BIK;disable).
  • If a setting has a blank value in the INI, the default value will be used instead of a blank value except for string settings (those with an s-prefix), where setting it blank will cause the string value also to be blank.

The fov settings only accept floating point numbers. X is not a number, so the setting will be read as not equaling anything (i.e., blank), which will reset it to its default value, which is 65.

Nice! Thanks, MissShaoHuan and DoubleYou!

If this fixes the FOV permanently I will be very happy! :-)

I've been looking for a permanent solution for a while...in all the wrong places, it seems. Par for the course. LOL

It would be good to keep the numbers for alternative aspect ratios in the Enhanced Camera wiki, as well, alongside the standard recommendation for 16:9.

This release just keeps getting better and better! :-D

Edit: And thanks Z as well! Took too long writing this post it seems.

Edited by Nebulous112

arrgh.

I just discovered my own dyslexia at work ... it is confusing, and I got it wrong again. 16:10 FOV should be lower FOV than 16:9, duh.

I had it backwards so updating the post to reflect (read it again if you have not seen this post!)

EDIT:

... turns out that my original advice on the wiki was correct, just confusing and left out needed context. I will update once we have more feedback from a few others on this thread.

OK, so now we're finally making sense of it. The description made it too confusing, that's for sure.

That supposed permanent FOV fix is bogus. It violates the following value rules I discovered and added to the STEP Configuration Settings guide:

The fov settings only accept floating point numbers. X is not a number, so the setting will be read as not equaling anything (i.e., blank), which will reset it to its default value, which is 65.

It says in that post to replace the XX with your desired FOV value. ::P:

Where XX is your preferred FOV