Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul (by Shurah)

EssArrBee

I just learned that there is recent patch to get Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul to work with ETaC.

Has anyone here given the patch a try yet?

I'm now up to Level 19 with my latest LO - play through, and find I'm missing the extra merchants and added habitation ambiance enough to be contemplating pulling the plug and reinstalling ETaC now that there's a patch up.

But I'm nervous, too.

Any thoughts and/or advice will be greatly appreciated.

I just learned that there is recent patch to get Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul to work with ETaC.

Has anyone here given the patch a try yet?

I'm now up to Level 19 with my latest LO - play through, and find I'm missing the extra merchants and added habitation ambiance enough to be contemplating pulling the plug and reinstalling ETaC now that there's a patch up.

But I'm nervous, too.

Any thoughts and/or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Shurah posted on Nexus that ETaC patch was not working properly. He/She never indicated what was not working. MJB is willing to make the patch for ETaC. I hope shurah can be more specific about what was wrong/ not working. Edited by darkside
  • +1 1

I've been attempting to follow the dialog between the two mods as well, but not as regularly as I feel now I should have been.  Most reports from ETaC indicates that things are working fairly well together now, but I haven't gotten the same impression from info on the Immersive Citizens end.

A seamless cooperation between the two would/will be a dream come true for me.

Immersive Citizens Incompatibility page states this:

•  
    Will you do a compatibility patch for ETaC?
    I'll try, but there is no guarantee of success. For now, I didn't find any viable solution. 

What's going to happen if I use your mod along with ETaC or something similar?
    Most of the time, the AI used by the NPCs living in Riverwood will be disabled, as a result, the NPCs won't move for severals hours. When the AI is not disabled, the NPCs will often perform irrational moves.
    If you use the Inn version, NPCs won't be able to enter or to leave some Inns.
Edited by n0mad23

I can confirm the described issues for Riverwood. Some NPCs were stuck in weird poses, others just weren't moving. However, using the wait function for one or two hours made them act mostly normal again so I wouldn't call it a gamebreaker. Haven't found any further issues so far.

From my understanding, most of the complete incompatibilities stems from edits to Navmeshes. This would include any mod that edits building architecture, adds clutter which sits on the floors of interiors, and adds exterior clutter/features which would also sit on the ground. This is because of how navmeshes work and these are not "patchable" in xEdit. One must use the CK and that is a massive chore in itself. I would NOT want to be the one making those patches even with my experience with navmeshes!

Basically, these mods will have to use the navmeshes from Immersive Citizens and then edit any issues which would interfere with NPCs walking around and from doing their activities. Knowing what all these city and town overhauls add, you might now be able to see a why there are issues and why they're so difficult to patch. It's basically rebuilding part of those mods from scratch. Because it's so difficult, that is why Shurah is getting some flack for being vague about the issues he's seeing. These authors want to fix them, but are having a hard time doing so without Shurah's cooperation and more detailed information from him. It's his right, but frustrating for those trying to make the patches.

Most, if not all, other incompatibilities should be able to be patched via xEdit.

I must admit I haven't gotten much further with CK than my "wtf is this?" moments.  I'm too olde skool to interface with youtube tutorials and prefer my technical documents to be actual print.  The CK written documentation leaves much to be desired, at least that which I've assembled over the last couple months.

I actually attempted CK learning initially as I hoped I could "fix" a couple of the Solitude expansion mods that are too problem filled for me to use.  Came to my senses pretty quickly and decided it'd probably be easier and more productive to design a Soltidude expansion of my own.  Maybe one of these days....

Am I understanding that the fixes to ETaC then requires that mod to be loaded in conjunction with Immersive Citizens in Creation Kit and then closely examine each nav mesh area where the two mods intersect?  Sounds rough.  I'm going to remain optimistic that MJB has success as I find I'm going through serious ETaC withdraws here.  

Just to weigh in here about how much more confusing ICAIO incompatibility recently became, Shurah recently made a post on the nexus, now deleted along with all other discussion on the topic, about how JKs Lite would still result in buggy behavior from ICAIO as would SuperLite and there was still a lot of issues they noticed in a short time of testing, however refused to provide any information at all on what those issues are or how to fix them.

JKs Lite does not edit any navmeshes, does not change the architecture of cities, and all the navcut boxes are well away from major points of interest so they won't provide movement blockages.

By Shruahs own vauge input on what makes a mod incompatible, my mod should be fine, however they still called it out for buggy behavior so at this stage those of us who are trying to work on compatibility really have no idea what to think any more and are quite confused about the entire situation. Shurah laid down guidelines on what makes a mod compatible, but when those are followed its still deemed incompatible by the author who claims they are the only one who could possibly have the knowledge to judge it, but refuses to share that knowledge. No technical evidence on what these bugs and incompatibilities are is ever provided.

I'm not trying to start a thing, but I am trying to explain that from the point of view of other mod authors, right now we're all kinda left hanging here with no info to work with, while still trying to do our best by the community with no help.

• +1 1

Yeah, I followed that "discussion". I try not to post there because I'm still set up as an admin for his page so my post will look more official.

It would be helpful if Shurah provided more information for those authors trying to make things compatible, but keep in mind English isn't his native language so there's probably some things getting lost in translation and he might not fully understand what users are asking of him.