Mod Organizer annoying error

Zedbrig

Question

Every time I open or close Mod Organizer, or boot SKSE to start playing Skyrim, I get the message that I have attached a picture of below.

I have tried right clicking the file, going to properties and setting admin rights, I have also tried making sure the file is not read only, but the issue is still there. I can play Skyrim fine, I just click "ok" and continue as normal, but I am worried there is something going on somewhere that may cause problems later if not fixed; it sounds like the file and mod settings aren't being saved.

I have noticed that the ModOrganizer.ini.new file sometimes stays in the Mod Organizer directory, and sometimes it disappears, when closing MO

Would really appreciate any help, it's driving me mad, been trying to fix it for days :(

post-7357-0-94031100-1436035406_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zedbrig

13 answers to this question

Personally, I always make sure to load MO with Admin Privileges.  But beware that before you try that to go and save your mod order list and plugin order list because I have had it reset them when switching between regular non-admin user running MO to admin user running MO.  That's what I do...  Don't know if it's a good thing, but it works for me.

Personally, I always make sure to load MO with Admin Privileges.  But beware that before you try that to go and save your mod order list and plugin order list because I have had it reset them when switching between regular non-admin user running MO to admin user running MO.  That's what I do...  Don't know if it's a good thing, but it works for me.

I've never run Mod Organizer with admin privileges, but I keep all the Skyrim utilities in a separate folder I created so I have full access permissions.

Mo Organizer itself should not be set to use Administrative privileges; this can cause problems. A few of the utilities in the STEP guide need administrative privilege. Installing Steam or any game utility in a UAC directory (e.g., C:\Program FIles (x86)) can potentially cause access problems.

Looks like a UAC issue or file is set to read-only issue.

Any idea how to fix it? I've tried everything I know to do with UAC and I've tried Googling how to fix it, but nothing has worked. :(

I've tried both admin and none-admin and none seem to fix the issue.

I've never run Mod Organizer with admin privileges, but I keep all the Skyrim utilities in a separate folder I created so I have full access permissions.

I have done the same with my folders, but still get the error :/

You have to uncheck "read only" on that file

I ran into something similar with default win 10 folder perms

Everytime I uncheck the read only, the box re-checks itself if I re-open properties. I have tried using the attrib -r command and that won't work either :( Really stuck here.

Since ModOrganizer is a 'portable' executable, you can simply install another instance of MO in a folder entirely removed from any UAC issues, e.g. "C:\Games\Tools\ModOrganizer" and set the paths to your existing mods, downloads and cache via the 'Settings' dialog. This will mean none of MO's files will be under UAC action and if the problem is removed that is the cause.

If the ModOrganizer.ini is still showing as 'write-protected' then an outside program is refusing to relinquish control of that file, perhaps an overly zealous Anti-virus check?

Since ModOrganizer is a 'portable' executable, you can simply install another instance of MO in a folder entirely removed from any UAC issues, e.g. "C:\Games\Tools\ModOrganizer" and set the paths to your existing mods, downloads and cache via the 'Settings' dialog. This will mean none of MO's files will be under UAC action and if the problem is removed that is the cause.

If the ModOrganizer.ini is still showing as 'write-protected' then an outside program is refusing to relinquish control of that file, perhaps an overly zealous Anti-virus check?

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have installed MO in a Games folder I created myself, the full directory is: C:\Games\Skyrim Modding\Skyrim Utilities\Mod Organizer and I still get the error. I have tried disabling my firewall as well as having it fully allowed through my firewall and I still get the error. I have also reinstalled MO, nothing seems to work :(

I notice you have this issue posted in the Bug Genie also, that's good, keep in mind the need to update there with any further relevant information.

@Tannin has mentioned in similar issues posted where 'Failed to write:' errors are involved that the most likely cause is outside the code of MO and therefore isn't necessarily an issue. More often than not a reboot releases the file from control of the other program if you are sure that your AV or Firewall software isn't currently in control. I also use a tool called "Unlocker". Perhaps running that tool on the ini may show which program is stopping access and kill it for you.

Have you verified the ModOrganizer.ini file doesn't have the read-only attribute set and disabled your anti-virus to make sure it isn't interfering?

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have checked this and neither resolved the issue :(

I notice you have this issue posted in the Bug Genie also, that's good, keep in mind the need to update there with any further relevant information.

@Tannin has mentioned in similar issues posted where 'Failed to write:' errors are involved that the most likely cause is outside the code of MO and therefore isn't necessarily an issue. More often than not a reboot releases the file from control of the other program if you are sure that your AV or Firewall software isn't currently in control. I also use a tool called "Unlocker". Perhaps running that tool on the ini may show which program is stopping access and kill it for you.

Yeah no problem, I will update it if I find anything changes.

I see, thanks for the info. I will try using the unlocker tool and see what I can find. I Will post back if I find anything.

I know I'm late to the party, but I also have been having this problem for months and couldn't figure it out.  I tried moving MO to different directories, repeatedly setting the file and folder properties to not Read Only, turned of UAC, etc.  I have McAfee AV installed.  Based on the posts about antivirus programs above, I added the ModOrganizer.ini and ModOrganizer.ini.new files to the exclusion list in the Real Time Protection section of McAfee and that solved it.  Just in case this helps anyone else.  Thanks for the tips about antivirus sw!

I know I'm late to the party, but I also have been having this problem for months and couldn't figure it out.  I tried moving MO to different directories, repeatedly setting the file and folder properties to not Read Only, turned of UAC, etc.  I have McAfee AV installed.  Based on the posts about antivirus programs above, I added the ModOrganizer.ini and ModOrganizer.ini.new files to the exclusion list in the Real Time Protection section of McAfee and that solved it.  Just in case this helps anyone else.  Thanks for the tips about antivirus sw!

I have spent more than 8 months in search of a solution for this problem, (really since the day I updated MO to 1.3.11) and many of the suggestions did not resolve the issue (and I tried them all). My props go out to you for this post as I can not even conceive how you thought that McAfee had anything to do with this. I gave this a try last Thursday when I found this post and the error message has not come back in three day's. I kinda knew the problem was fixed as soon as I did it, but I did not want to jump the gun until I spent some day's in game without the error. I really get peeved when I can't resolve an issue...... Thanks again as I learned a thing or two about my McAfee install and resolved an issue that was driving me nuts.....