Wombat

Citizen

• Mod Authors
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:22 PM

The Dynamic Development Road Map

for the WSM Project

I would like to welcome users to discuss the development of the software here. Mainly

criticisms, thoughts, opinions, etc. (example: If I have implemented a feature that you think could work better if done differently)

This is for: Me to communicate with you the planned changes coming in a 

more detailed manner than just a change log.

This is not for: Bug reports, feature requests, help/support

The upcoming changes planned for WSM Modular Installer are as follows:

• The software will automatically attempt to discover your games installation folder, and upon finding what it thinks may be the correct directory the software will ask the user to confirm it. 

Note: This process may take a few seconds to process depending on the size of our file system

• The backup process will allow you to pair save files with the patch.bundle.BAK so that when you restore your patch.bundle you will have a working save to go along with it.

Current release:

version 1.B.0.3

DOWNLOAD

The upcoming changes planned for MIMM+ (to be released):

• The manager will allow you to specify external programs to run, keeping an editable list.
  • Will include a launcher that will be able to launch the game, the Nexus witcher 3 site, and GOG.

Note: These can be extended if requested (possibly able to customize them?)

• The user will be able to set the manager as the default game launcher.
  • The user will be able to run W3HC from the manager IF they have it installed properly (renamed to just "W3HC.exe").

Note: I am currently trying to get in touch with  TheMelekTaus  to try to improve upon this process, possibly having the manager offer to download and install W3HC if you do not have it.

• The user will be able to run the game's executable with options from the manager (ie as admin, high priority, etc).
  • The user will be able to see a current list of installed mods.

Current release:

version 0.A.0.5

DOWNLOAD

Edited by Wombat, 23 July 2015 - 07:09 PM.

#2 thibaudv

thibaudv

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:29 PM

Great work man, if you get all the features to work this will be huge!

BTW, love the icon in the task bar - it's hilarious :D

There should be a main "witcher 3" subforum on this site though, since rootstrat's guide is on here too, but in a completely different subforum which seems kinda odd to me. But I'm new to these forums so I don't quite yet know how things work around here.

Edited by thibaudv, 23 July 2015 - 06:30 PM.

#3 Wombat

Wombat

Citizen

• Mod Authors
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:03 PM

A Witcher 3 section would be awesome, but this is more than generous.

Yea, I thought Witcher 3 + manager and came up with that lol

I'm going to take each feature piece by piece, and steadily work towards completion. Thank you for the feedback, it helps to see any at all after hours of having my head buried in code.

EDIT:

Some functions that currently work in the preview are: 

Profile management

external executable management

game launcher

W3HC launching (if installed and renamed to just "W3HC.exe")

Right now I'm working on:

Mod installation

Backup management

Launcher functionality

Edited by Wombat, 23 July 2015 - 07:09 PM.

#4 EssArrBee

EssArrBee

Incompatibilism Manager

• STEP Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,629 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:19 PM

We'll address having a separate Witcher forum as interest grows. These things tend to start out slow, but eventually grow. We'll keep on an eye on things and setup the forums as they as needed.

#5 thibaudv

thibaudv

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:16 PM

Sounds great! 

I'm guessing this program is for clean installs? I'm running about 10 mods right now, so there's probably no way to recognise those is there?

#6 Wombat

Wombat

Citizen

• Mod Authors
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:25 AM

Sounds great! 

I'm guessing this program is for clean installs? I'm running about 10 mods right now, so there's probably no way to recognize those is there?

For now it will need to be used with clean installs, as the backup function would be some what tainted if it expected a vanilla file base but was given a modded one. I couldn't really make good on the ability to create a true safety net if that were the case as there would be unknown variables possibly causing bugs/problems that are unforeseeable.

The mod managing is not functioning right now, as I want the mod installation to work prior to that, so that features are turned on and working in tandem. I also write software as my day job so development is slower throughout the week and then on the weekend I dig in and try to get as much done in 72 hours as I can.

Edited by Wombat, 24 July 2015 - 09:41 AM.

#7 Wombat

Wombat

Citizen

• Mod Authors
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:46 PM

The latest update is posted, check it out!

#8 fattythehutt

fattythehutt

Prisoner

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:52 AM

I'd like to thank you for truly doing god's work.

I do have a request. I realize you are in an early alpha build, but can we get an installation destination option? Windows keeps yelling at me because I'm making changes to files find in Program Files.

Absolute best to you, I eagerly await seeing how this turns out. 

Edited by fattythehutt, 31 July 2015 - 04:46 AM.

#9 Wombat

Wombat

Citizen

• Mod Authors
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:14 PM

I'd like to thank you for truly doing god's work.

I do have a request. I realize you are in an early alpha build, but can we get an installation destination option? Windows keeps yelling at me because I'm making changes to files find in Program Files.

Absolute best to you, I eagerly await seeing how this turns out. 

You're talking about where the mod manager itself is being installed correct?

If so then most definitely, I'll add that to the W3MM_Setup.exe in the next update.

Thank you for the feedback btw!

#10 fattythehutt

fattythehutt

Prisoner

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:39 AM

You're talking about where the mod manager itself is being installed correct?

Yes. :)

So how far should I be able to get with a mod installation now? I can get it to recognize mods as mods when I properly package them, but I get error messages when I actually try to install them.

#11 Wombat

Wombat

Citizen

• Mod Authors
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:46 PM

There's actually an issue right now, in that the nexus renames the mod packs... which I should have noticed.

The following steps require the latest version of the mod manager

So what you should be able to do as of now is:

Download the demo mod packs I uploaded to the nexus page;

Unpack to it's own folder, go in the folder and you will find a folder named either TestMod or NewMod;

Right click this folder and pack it into a zip archive, the archive must be named the same name as the folder (ie TestMod or NewMod);

Rename the new archive so that the file extension is .w3mp instead of .zip;

Open the mod manager and click on the menu button labeled "mods" and check the radio button "From file", 

select the archive you just created and then click "Begin Installation" button;

You should see the mods details, version, author, and a readme. From here you will click "Install" and the mod should install so far as I have set it up.

It wont actually install anything right now as I do NOT want to implement true installation until it has been test and documented. Instead it will extract and move the files into the "Installed" folder in your mod manager's installation folder. The next step is to set up the backup management system. Once the backups work without error, I will finish the installation system and the base for the management system will be complete and after that I will be working on profiles.

I am a little behind where I wanted to be because I was working on implementing .nxm functionality so that the nexus admins could turn on the "Download 

with nexus mod manager" button for TW3 and this mod manager could use it.... but alas it's proving to be a bit more troublesome than I had hoped so 

for now I'm placing it on hold until I get the basics done. 

Edited by Wombat, 04 August 2015 - 07:41 AM.

#12 Wombat

Wombat

Citizen

• Mod Authors
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:02 PM

BTW what is the error you're getting? Is it the one related 

" Windows keeps yelling at me because I'm making changes to files find in Program Files."

#13 fattythehutt

fattythehutt

Prisoner

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:05 PM

Sorry, I guess I forgot to push "post" yesterday. Here is the error log. 

#14 Wombat

Wombat

Citizen

• Mod Authors
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:55 AM

Nope I actually moved your port to the bug report thread but was side tracked and forgot to reply to you. Check the bug reporting thread for my reply please.

[spoiler]

test

[/spoiler]

Also, if you don't mind could you put spoiler tags around the error dump, so that there's less scrolling required to go through this thread.

Edited by Wombat, 03 August 2015 - 08:58 AM.

#15 Wombat

Wombat

Citizen

• Mod Authors
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:41 PM

So I've posted an update on the nexus, I removed the ability to add an executable for now, it was bugged and I'm trying to clean as I go. It will be back in the next update for sure though, and better than before.

I also made some major progress on mod downloads! WooHoo!!! I'm not going to lie, it was rough, probably the hardest thing about the whole project.

You should be able to type your credentials into the connection section, and then just go over to the download manager, and paste a mod download link. (Right click and copy one from the nexus)

After you have a link in the box it will download and then show in the downloads list....

This process will be improved upon and I have some pretty awesome ideas that no one has done yet with a mod manager, so keep you're eye's peeled as this will be FUN!

The installer should now let you choose where it installs the program and finally:

THANK YOU - to everyone that has downloaded/viewed/endorsed this project, it lets me know that it's desired and makes me happy others will enjoy it.

There's much more to come so check back soon!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wsm, modular, instaler, witcher 3, witcher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users