• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

#31 wr1

wr1

Prisoner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:37 PM

Both the options under the first subheading in your screenie.

Actually only the main header needs to be checked, neither of those two sub-menus need to be explicitly selected.

On my system neither of them are and I have never had any .NET issues with MO.

Well, I went and checked both of those sub headings, but no change; FNIS still can't be called by MO.

EDIT: I saw Pistachoman's post.  Could it be a problem with the latest version of MO? Given that fully enabling .NET 3.5 didn't do the trick and may not have been the problem...

Edited by wr1, 14 August 2015 - 11:40 PM.

#32 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:48 PM

I'm not sure why this whole discussion got onto .NET frameworks, FNIS is a VB exe and the only .NET code in MO is to do with the fomod installer, there should be no issue with running FNIS in MO because of .NET.

(Edit: To answer my own stupid question. .NET Framework is Microsoft's CLR, ie. 'Common Language Runtime' framework and as such it is needed to allow programmes created with a number of different languages, VB, C#, C++, etc. to use the same set of extra runtime code, thus removing the need to install separate packages for differing codebases.) So FNIS, a VB programme and MO's FOMOD installer both need to have the correct .NET version installed even though the main executable, MO, is a C++ programme.

Please clear your MO 'logs' folder and then try again to run FNIS. Post the contents of that folder along with your modorganizer.ini.

We need to know what is being called and how before we proceed. If this was an issue with .NET and FNIS via MO, 100's of users would have posted similar reports before.

#33 wr1

wr1

Prisoner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:03 AM

I'm not sure why this whole discussion got onto .NET frameworks, FNIS is a VB exe and the only .NET code in MO is to do with the fomod installer, there should be no issue with running FNIS in MO because of .NET.

Please clear your MO 'logs' folder and then try again to run FNIS. Post the contents of that folder along with your modorganizer.ini.

We need to know what is being called and how before we proceed. If this was an issue with .NET and FNIS via MO, 100's of users would have posted similar reports before.

OK, here you go.

There was only one text file in the "logs" folder, and here is the contents:

Here is modorganizer.ini:

EDIT: Whoops, deleted something here quickly; I realized I'd made a mistake.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Edited by wr1, 15 August 2015 - 12:04 AM.

#34 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:30 AM

According to that log FNIS is called and runs and the mods active in the "August" profile are there for use.

#35 wr1

wr1

Prisoner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:28 AM

According to that log FNIS is called and runs and the mods active in the "August" profile are there for use.

That seems strange because I am not able to do anything with FNIS.  This is the error I get when I try to fun FNIS in MO:

2wn9sle.png

"The application could not be started"...and if I click on the button to get more info, that takes me to the MS support page claiming that it's a .NET error.  However this only happens when running FNIS through MO, but not if I simply use Windows to run FNIS.

The FNIS icon appears and the error code looks like it's associated with FNIS, but I'm not actually able to generate a FNIS patch or do anything with FNIS.

Edited by wr1, 15 August 2015 - 01:29 AM.

#36 GSDFan

GSDFan

Jarl

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 04:47 AM

FYI this is just for reference from a complete run of FNIS under Win 10 with MO 1.3.8.

There should be more after the following lines:
DEBUG (15:58:13.0264): hooks removed
----------- LOG END -----------

The next few lines from my successful run of FNIS show that it is working. See the spoiler:

FNIS Working lines

If we are going to use this as a troubleshooting aid we need to know what a successful log looks like. My guess is MO created the Log End after FNIS abruptly ended and MO can't determine the difference so we need to look at why the generator stopped.

When you created the executable did you go to the data tab, click on the tools folder and right click GenerateFNISforUsers.exe and add as an executable or did you add it manually?

#37 DoubleYou

DoubleYou

Wiki Stepper

• Super Moderators
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:45 AM

From the wiki:

"If you receive a This application cannot be started message, most likely you forgot to enable the mod in the Left Pane."

Please enable the FNIS mod.

#38 GSDFan

GSDFan

Jarl

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:28 PM

Yes that will produce the message posted in the picture above and a similar log to the one posted above.

Although we can't see past what is shown and there may be another install, that picture shows FNIS2, FNIS3 and patch unchecked. It is sorted by install date and not priority. The FNIS mods appear to be installed at priority 22 and 23.

#39 wr1

wr1

Prisoner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:11 AM

From the wiki:

"If you receive a This application cannot be started message, most likely you forgot to enable the mod in the Left Pane."

Please enable the FNIS mod.

Yes that will produce the message posted in the picture above and a similar log to the one posted above.

Although we can't see past what is shown and there may be another install, that picture shows FNIS2, FNIS3 and patch unchecked. It is sorted by install date and not priority. The FNIS mods appear to be installed at priority 22 and 23.

Hey folks, thanks for your help! Although things are not yet working totally properly I feel that it is getting there.  I just tried to run FNIS again through MO and this time FNIS ran! But, I got the following error:

2hgbo6h.png

With the following details:

EDIT:  Just made sure that I ran MO as administrator, and got the same problem.

EDIT 2: I just went and checked, and indeed it seems like that directory doesn't exist: 8xrfjk.png

I'm a little puzzled because I don't remember having any problems like this 6 months ago.  Is there some step I have to take to create the directory?

Edited by wr1, 16 August 2015 - 02:31 AM.

#40 DoubleYou

DoubleYou

Wiki Stepper

• Super Moderators
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 05:54 AM

Please make sure all BSAs are checked in the Archives tab, particularly the Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, and try again.

#41 wr1

wr1

Prisoner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:07 PM

Please make sure all BSAs are checked in the Archives tab, particularly the Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, and try again.

Hmm, apparently they were checked already: 2nizo7c.png

#42 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:20 PM

That 'unhandled exception' error has been noted by a few users lately and it is currently under examination by @fore. There is no apparent correlation between the user's systems as they don't all share the same OS or mod setup. I can't replicate it and I see no reason why that error would be generated based on the code in FNIS and MO that is being called.

That isn't to say there isn't a correlation (bug), just that I can't find one.

#43 Nozzer66

Nozzer66

Dragon Prince

• Pack Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:29 PM

Have you added the fix file for FNIS?

#44 wr1

wr1

Prisoner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:32 AM

That 'unhandled exception' error has been noted by a few users lately and it is currently under examination by @fore. There is no apparent correlation between the user's systems as they don't all share the same OS or mod setup. I can't replicate it and I see no reason why that error would be generated based on the code in FNIS and MO that is being called.

Wow guys, something happened that surprised me.

In order to double check and make sure I had done everything properly, I've pasted in the .exe from http://www.nexusmods...?id=11811&pUp=1 that is called "Fix 1" and overwritten the .exe that is in the FNIS Behavior 5_5 ALWAYS necessary archive.  is that the correct way to do it?

Just now I ran MO and tried to run FNIS again, and I got the following messaging:

That doesn't look right...what do you think?

Here is an image: 346vuhv.png

Edited by wr1, 17 August 2015 - 04:32 AM.

#45 wr1

wr1

Prisoner

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:21 AM

Wow guys, something happened that surprised me.

In order to double check and make sure I had done everything properly, I've pasted in the .exe from http://www.nexusmods...?id=11811&pUp=1 that is called "Fix 1" and overwritten the .exe that is in the FNIS Behavior 5_5 ALWAYS necessary archive.  is that the correct way to do it?

Just now I ran MO and tried to run FNIS again, and I got the following messaging:

That doesn't look right...what do you think?

Here is an image: 346vuhv.png

Now, this is curious, folks.  Just hoping for a miracle, I guess, I decided to try and run FNIS through MO again today.  I did not change anything at all from my previous setup when I got the results in my last screen capture.

For some reason, this time, I got the unhandled exception error: 1jq7t2.png

I did not get this error last time I tried to run FNIS.  So, this is an apparent inconsistent behavior or outcome.

Hopefully, this is a clue or is otherwise helpful.

Thanks so much for your help and for thinking about my problem.

Edited by wr1, 19 August 2015 - 03:22 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fnis, setup, issues, installation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users