Error while installing any fomod

vici30

Question

Everytime I try to install a fomod (edit: for Fallout New Vegas) I get this error:

"The type initializer for 'SevenZip.SevenZipLibraryManager' threw an exception."

HWXY1EW.png

I tried with MCM and Fallout Character Overhaul, specifically. But I have been trying to fix this for 2 days (since I started using mod organizer).

What I tried:

enabling/disabling internal fomod installer in Mod Organizer plugin settings

manually unpacking archives and repacking them as a different type ( .7zip to .zip, .zip to .rar etc.)

manually unpacking the .fomod - this allowed me to install MCM, but it was not running properly (couldn't even toggle the settings in the menus)

using an older version of Mod Organizer, as well as installing Mod Organizer manually (yes, somewhere else than in C:/Program Files)

This is really annoying me now, more because I can't fix it than anything else. Of course, the fact that I can't install some of the awesome fomods out there still sucks.

I would greatly appreciate it if the community could help me figure this out.

Edited by vici30

11 answers to this question

Have a look at these instructions from another thread answering this question.

I found that topic long before I posted this, and honestly it seems that one is the only one on the internet. Everyone points me there, and I couldn't find anything else related. I did look at it and tried a lot of things from there, but what specific instructions do you mean?

@DoubleYou's post speaks about the need to have the correct .NET runtime enabled.

Press 'Start' and type "Turn Windows features on and off". There is a setting called:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 and it should have the box filled if that .NET framework is enabled on your system, if not enable it.

This was also added to the MO wiki as seen here. From what I understand it is only the external fomod installer that needs the specific .NET functions and is why the rest of MO will get along without incident. Additionally only a few users seem to have systems where that .NET framework isn't enabled so it doesn't get seen often.

@DoubleYou's post speaks about the need to have the correct .NET runtime enabled.

Press 'Start' and type "Turn Windows features on and off". There is a setting called:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 and it should have the box filled if that .NET framework is enabled on your system, if not enable it.

This was also added to the MO wiki as seen here. From what I understand it is only the external fomod installer that needs the specific .NET functions and is why the rest of MO will get along without incident. Additionally only a few users seem to have systems where that .NET framework isn't enabled so it doesn't get seen often.

Oh I saw it, I did my research beforehand. And I did check Turn Windows Feaures On or Off and .net 3.5 was enabled (like it says there). Not 3.5.1, like you said, which I need to get and come back with an update.

UPDATE: Lucky me, I can't install .net 3.5.1. I followed the instructions here by downloading this  but nothing happens when I double click the installer. My luck indeed. Now what :/

Edited by vici30

That's good, glad to see people haven't lost the ability to do research. I'm very interested to see what results you get and if you have any suggestions to help others like yourself find that answer.

About 3.5.1 compared to 3.5, I'm not 100% sure that will make a difference as I'm pretty sure the functions needed will be in the 3.5 framework, though I could be wrong. Couldn't hurt to try either way though.

I feel for you, I had a similar experience with Visual Studio and .NET framework requirements. Couldn't install one because the other was old but I couldn't update the later because it wasn't old enough! Damn Microsoft's internal checks making us jump through hoops. I eventually got everything sorted but it involved a lot of un-installing, re-installing, updating, back-dating and general hair-pulling.

Hi, I'm not sure if this will help but I had a problem installing from fomods and then I realized that in the plugins settings of MO the 'fomod installer -> enabled setting had been set to 'false' because it was required to install another mod earlier (following the instructions from Fear and Loathing in New Vegas). I had then forgotten to set it back to 'true'.

Once I had done this fomods worked perfectly.