GrantSP's new build project

GrantSP

Okay so I'm on the march towards getting my components and I would like to know where I can pare down on some of these prices.

It isn't really a bad price range but the closer I can get to AU $1000 the better.

Any suggestions on the best components to look at first. This is a gaming system so obviously the greater the GPU I can get at the expense of other items is where I'll be looking.

I've decided to use an online builder to gather the parts but I can already source some of the parts cheaper through stores that this site doesn't see.

Have a look and let me know what you reckon.

This is a WIP and subject to me 'buttering up' the missus!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing I'd be a little leery of is the power supply. Firstly double check 500W will be enough and that the 12V rail of the supply can provide the possible full load current that video card will need. That sort of data should be on manufacturers websites. 

I have a slight suspicion you'll find the power supply coming with the case you've specced might not have the juice.

The build shows it draws around 418W so I figured a 500W PSU would suffice.

With an 80% efficiency power supply, that would be only 400W. I'm running a 600W PSU for a GTX 760 and Core i5 (Haswell). The 760 has a recommendation of a 500W PSU. The GTX 770 recommendation is a 600W PSU: https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-770/specifications

With an 80% efficiency power supply, that would be only 400W. I'm running a 600W PSU for a GTX 760 and Core i5 (Haswell). The 760 has a recommendation of a 500W PSU. The GTX 770 recommendation is a 600W PSU: https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-770/specifications

Well that sucks! Ok, ditch the case and PSU and will look for something else. So, minimum is now 600W. Thank you both.

No worries. Unfortunately electricity doesn't always play 100% perfectly. :) It's seriously worth the cash to use a good power supply that's a reliable brand. I tend to use Corsair ones, but there's several good makers of power supplies.

There are websites that offer online power supply calculation.  You describe the components and once you put in your build it will tell you some specs of the power supply you should order.  It usually best to err on the side of being safe (choosing more rather than less) and you will help to ensure that you will not be straining you PS also.  Also, you might want to consider getting a UPS battery that has these features - allows you to have power during a power shortage (so you can properly shut down), protect from power surges (cheap surge protectors do this also), and here's another that some people don't always realize or consider: cleans/smooths the voltage of the power coming from the grid going to your computer (dirty power coming in that has lots of minor spikes and so forth can take a toll on your devices and cause premature blowouts and degradation).  I forget the term of the last feature, but not all UPSs have that feature.

Thanks guys. Just to put the final nail in the power coffin, I was simply going off the PcPartPicker's own mechanism for determining the power.

You can't see it in the link but when you actually select a part there is a section which highlights any problems in the choice such as power needs and the page told me my parts would only draw 418W. Now that I know better I will look wider to the actual specs.

About the 770's being killed off, I'll take your word for it and pick something else. This is quickly escalating into coming closer to 2 grand now.

EDIT:

SP just reminded me of a very good point that should be addressed. DX12 is out shortly and if I want to use Win10 to its best I probably should look at a card that can handle it. This needs a re-think.

EDIT:

A couple of articles that might allay fears over DX12 GPUs.

Anandtech & PCWorld

What I read was that DX11 cards will support APU improvements, but not some of the new DX12 effects. Just look at the upcoming 950ti which should support everything.