Mods *not* to clean with TES5Edit

Naoko

Question

So, after reading/watching tutorials for TES5Edit and using it to clean my main .esm files, I got the impression that I should use it to clean pretty much everything except skyrim.esm, the unofficial patches and a very small number of mods that contain intentional dirty edits.

I'm wondering if there's a comprehensive list of things I should definitely NOT clean (in order to avoid breaking them or creating conflicts where there would be none, etc.), or if that list is so small that it shouldn't be a problem?

I've read through several places/guides already, like here https://www.creationkit.com/TES5Edit_Cleaning_Guide_-_TES5Edit#Quick_List_of_What_Not_to_Clean

and here https://www.creationkit.com/Skyrim_Dirty_Plugins_List#Mods_You_Should_NOT_Clean

but the number of things really does seem quite small.

Also - I understand that it's usually very important to clean mods in order to avoid conflicts and potential in-game wonkiness/CTDs, but although I just started attempting to mod Skyrim for basic stability/bug-fixes, I did end up with a bunch of stuff in my Mod Organizer folder that I'm not sure should be cleaned or not. There's an SKSE-Scripts mod, as well as PapyrusUtil, Distant Decal Fix and Stable uGridsToLoad in MO so far, and I don't know if they require cleaning. *the mods in the screenshot haven't really been organized yet, as I'm still in the process of installing new ones and figuring out what to clean or not.

Apologies if this was explained elsewhere and I missed it >_< I just want to make sure I don't break something on my first attempt, before continuing. :)

post-7524-0-29816900-1438371203_thumb.png

Edited by Naoko

:lol: No. But you can send them to @Mator!

Only kidding. What he means, from what I have seen him say on various occasions is, humans should be able to decide what mods need to go together and whether A goes before B or not. Tools are only as good as the algorithms used and they will never be as good as a human's brain.

Really, once you get your game modded, you should be only adding mods one at a time and making these choices at installation time, this makes it easy to do. It's only when you are making large installs, like you are now with STEP, that it seems like a large task.

If I may be so bold, from the questions I have seen you ask in various forums, you are well on your way to understanding the intricacies of mod order and soon these sort of things will be second nature to you.

Come on! I was also just joking.

I see, and can I agree with this statement. But how did I say?.... There are Gods and Half Gods. Lots of STEP members, mod authors from my side Gods

and HalfGods or Angels (like TechAngel) :) They have a modding, "Skyrim" knowledge what I don't have at all. But I do not want it, because I would like to stay "just" like a player, who especially likes modding Skyrim and always learning new Skyrim related stuffs. For instance, create a new merge file with this new standalone version firstly was a challenge for me. Now, I can use that tool. More exactly I can managed to use it, but still there are things I have no idea...

I have a massive enough mod list with lots of merged mods and to order them by manually it is impossible for me. I would make so many mistake, I could ruin my game within some minutes. :)

I like LOOT and I hope it is reliable some way. And I guess there are forums, and topics where we can ask for support!

But!

"You" say LOOT database is almost trash, with lots of faulty order, lots of similar stuff. But in this case this tool (Merge Plugins) also has a database, which also contains nothing more just users feedback. Success, issues, ... I have seen a mod signed by red that maybe it is not mergeable, there was a notice by anyone who has issue with it. But, I had managed to merge it without any issue. Possibly he or she made something wrong.

So, I just wanted to say, that for some aspects Merge Plugins database does not different from LOOT database. That't obvious because everything which is made by people could be faulty. Or nothing else, just things made by people.

I'll disagree with you on one point:

There aren't gods & half-gods, there are people that use their brains and then there are stupid/lazy people that just want to click and be done with it. Judging by the concise questions you pose on all manner of subjects you firmly belong in the former category, not the latter.