Difficulty balancing

I realize part of the goal of heavily modding FO3 is for increased challenge/spawns/hardcore awesomeness. However, I'm also interested in actually making it through the game in my lifetime so I can move on to NV and presumably FO4.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to tweak the config of C&PD to keep things at a sane level, without tipping over completely to baby's first RPG? I realize I could skip over things like MMM and FWE completely, but they seem to add things beyond just difficultly that makes them worthwhile to have - even if I ultimately end up disabling a huge chunk.

Ah - mostly difficulty (which for me translates directly to how long it takes to play - I can skip adding various quest mods if I want to stick with the main quest storyline). I don't want to turn it into a visual novel, but neither do I want to spend limited playtime re-attempting areas infinitely because I've installed something that sets what used to be a single moderate difficultly spawn into a hive of overpowered boss creatures that only Dark Souls players can survive :)

EDIT - Reading through the guide again, it sounds like if I merely avoid A World of Pain and MMM (both optional anyway), I'm well on my way to keeping it "vanilla" as far as difficulty goes.

Edited by Daagar

MMM makes the game quite a bit more difficult. As you mentioned, it adds some interest but in a number of places much more difficulty. FWE is in the guide in part because it adds a lot of configurability. I suggest reading the FWE web page that describes the parameters and the optional values (the page is referenced in the guide). You can decide which parameters to set tithe vanilla value.

MMM is also very configurable and you can, for instance, disable increased Spawns so you still get to see the creature variations/new enemies but on the same levels as vanilla. You can also turn off many of the new creatures it adds if you don't like them (ie I always disable extra Behemoth spawns)