Game works- but is not perfect. How do I get it to run better?

So, like most threads here, I followed the F&L guide perfectly, to the T, they'd say and I did. The game works and looks great but I have a few concerns but I am not sure if it is common and I just have to accept that it will happen eventually.

Frist of all, my game does crash from time to time. I am not sure if this is normal since I know FNV is notorious for bugs, etc. but my game will sometimes crash to desktop or freeze and I'll have to log out of that session. Since I followed the guide, I have the anti-crash mods and all that jazz to hopefully prevent this from happening, but it still happens from time to time.

Second, stuttering. No I have FNV stutter remover, but the game does experience some dips here and there. I am not sure if its just pockets of fps loss that I encounter during the game or if its actual stuttering from the game. I have a good PC (780ti, 8GB RAM, z79 mobo, i7-4770k (stock)) so playing this game shouldn't be an issue but with the ENB and mods installed, theres no doubt I will experience some fps loss. I am just curious to know whether this is normal or not.

Third, since I am using an ENB, I know in the guide, it says to place the .DLL file into the 'exes' folder that 4GB FNV Loader creates. First off, when I put that file in the main game directory, it never made a 'exes' folder. Well, okay, just create one. So I did and FalloutNV was placed in there after I started a game. The thing is, if I place the ENB .dll in that folder, the ENB does not work. Its only when I have the .DLL file in the main directory will the ENB work. I know the guide mentions that 'some users have experienced issues with the ENB and 4GB Fallout NV mod running together' but I am not sure if I am experiencing problems because of this or if its just a random bug. Does anyone know if I am doing this wrong or if I am just one of the lucky ones where I can get them to work properly.

Lastly, and probably my most noobish questions, as I probably should know this, I have a 1440p monitor but I would like to run the game in 1080p so I can gain some extra FPS. That being said, I don't know how to go about it and when I do 'change' it, I can't tell the difference in game so it leads me to think that I am not actively turning down the resolution. Do I launch the NV launcher and change it there? Or do I go to the .ini files and change it there? Or do I just change all of them? There is the fallout.ini, falloutpref, and then the .ini file in the root folder, which I suspect to be the one the launcher goes after. How do I change all of this?

I appreciate any and all help. Thank you!

So, like most threads here, I followed the F&L guide perfectly, to the T, they'd say and I did. The game works and looks great but I have a few concerns but I am not sure if it is common and I just have to accept that it will happen eventually.

Frist of all, my game does crash from time to time. I am not sure if this is normal since I know FNV is notorious for bugs, etc. but my game will sometimes crash to desktop or freeze and I'll have to log out of that session. Since I followed the guide, I have the anti-crash mods and all that jazz to hopefully prevent this from happening, but it still happens from time to time.

?  Sorry, can't help there...

Second, stuttering. No I have FNV stutter remover, but the game does experience some dips here and there. I am not sure if its just pockets of fps loss that I encounter during the game or if its actual stuttering from the game. I have a good PC (780ti, 8GB RAM, z79 mobo, i7-4770k (stock)) so playing this game shouldn't be an issue but with the ENB and mods installed, theres no doubt I will experience some fps loss. I am just curious to know whether this is normal or not.

Try using "EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=true" in enblocal.ini and see if that fixes your problem.

Third, since I am using an ENB, I know in the guide, it says to place the .DLL file into the 'exes' folder that 4GB FNV Loader creates. First off, when I put that file in the main game directory, it never made a 'exes' folder. Well, okay, just create one. So I did and FalloutNV was placed in there after I started a game. The thing is, if I place the ENB .dll in that folder, the ENB does not work. Its only when I have the .DLL file in the main directory will the ENB work. I know the guide mentions that 'some users have experienced issues with the ENB and 4GB Fallout NV mod running together' but I am not sure if I am experiencing problems because of this or if its just a random bug. Does anyone know if I am doing this wrong or if I am just one of the lucky ones where I can get them to work properly.

The exes folder is no longer necessary for the 4GB FNV Loader.  I forget if this had something to do with MO in the past or what, but it's no longer needed and in fact won't work that way.  There was recently discussion about this somewhere in the forums.  You may wish to do a search for this discussion...  but make sure your executable for the loader is run with the "Argument": "-laaexe .\FalloutMO.exe" (without the quotes).

Lastly, and probably my most noobish questions, as I probably should know this, I have a 1440p monitor but I would like to run the game in 1080p so I can gain some extra FPS. That being said, I don't know how to go about it and when I do 'change' it, I can't tell the difference in game so it leads me to think that I am not actively turning down the resolution. Do I launch the NV launcher and change it there? Or do I go to the .ini files and change it there? Or do I just change all of them? There is the fallout.ini, falloutpref, and then the .ini file in the root folder, which I suspect to be the one the launcher goes after. How do I change all of this?

Go into your MO profiles directory, and then into the profile directory you are using.  It's in either fallout.ini or falloutprefs.ini, I'm not sure which one...  Do a find text for "iSize W" and "iSize H".  "iSize W" is your resolution width, while "iSize H" is your resolution height.  ie. 1920x1080 would be "iSize W=1920" and "iSize H=1080"

• You have Nvidia.  Do you have Geforce Experience? If so disable it while playing.

Have you used Nvidia Insepector to add the FalloutMO.exe and 4GB FNV Loader to the New Vegas profile? By default the Nvidia drivers won't recognize the executables.  Have you set Power to Max Performance? New Vegas should not be limited by you graphics card if settings are correct.

Do you have bHookLightCriticalSections = 1 in NVSR? This can actually cause stuttering for people. Set it to bHookLightCriticalSections = 0.

• You have Nvidia.  Do you have Geforce Experience? If so disable it while playing.
  • Have you used Nvidia Insepector to add the FalloutMO.exe and 4GB FNV Loader to the New Vegas profile? By default the Nvidia drivers won't recognize the executables.  Have you set Power to Max Performance? New Vegas should not be limited by you graphics card if settings are correct.
  • Do you have bHookLightCriticalSections = 1 in NVSR? This can actually cause stuttering for people. Set it to bHookLightCriticalSections = 0.

1) I have not disabled Geforce Experience. I didn't think about that. I will when I get home. I know I disabled steam which supposedly is supposed to help.

2) Okay so this is something I did yesterday. I usually do this with most games too. So for the Nvidia Inspector, you click 'add' next to the game and browse your folders for the game data folder. Instead of 'adding' FalloutNV.exe, I added '4GBFNVLoader.exe'. Was that wrong? I am confused by what you mean by adding the FalloutMO.exe and 4GBLoader to the New Vegas Profile. Do you mind clarifying that for me please?

3) I am not sure to be honest. When I get home from work, I will make sure to change some of these settings around to test it out.

?  Sorry, can't help there...

Try using "EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=true" in enblocal.ini and see if that fixes your problem.

The exes folder is no longer necessary for the 4GB FNV Loader.  I forget if this had something to do with MO in the past or what, but it's no longer needed and in fact won't work that way.  There was recently discussion about this somewhere in the forums.  You may wish to do a search for this discussion...  but make sure your executable for the loader is run with the "Argument": "-laaexe .\FalloutMO.exe" (without the quotes).

Go into your MO profiles directory, and then into the profile directory you are using.  It's in either fallout.ini or falloutprefs.ini, I'm not sure which one...  Do a find text for "iSize W" and "iSize H".  "iSize W" is your resolution width, while "iSize H" is your resolution height.  ie. 1920x1080 would be "iSize W=1920" and "iSize H=1080"

Yea, I figured out the resolution. it wasn't as difficult as I explained it to be so ya...I feel stupid now lol. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much of a boost to the FPS when I lowered the resolution :/, which doesn't make much sense, does it?

In regards to your suggestion about setting "EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=true", I'll have to try it after work today. The stuttering is really really strange though. I am not sure if its caused by the amount of mods enabled (I doubt it) or if the game just runs really poorly (which I wouldn't doubt). Another odd occurrence I discovered yesterday was that the game starts to stutter whenever I open up the inventory screen whether its when I loot someone or something. Its really strange. The background music/sound will sort of repeat like a broken record for about 3 seconds and then the game will sort of unfreeze and go back to normal. Also, I noticed that my GPU (running MSI afterburner) was slowly lowering its load. At first it was around ~98% but it would slowly dip to ~60% then eventually ~20%.... Maybe its time for a cleaning of the GPU?

In terms of the ENB, okay that's good to know. I didn't know that and I guess I am doing the ENB correctly then. Its weird, the only "change/addition" I've added to the game (from the guide) is the FCO eye bug fix (which I wonder why its not added to the guide in the first place) and the ENB. I also disabled Alt Start because I haven't beaten this game before/ played more than 10 hours of it, which isn't a lot when you think about it. I've also made sure that all the executables have the needed modifications to it, like you suggested.

Edited by TomtinBreeX

1) I have not disabled Geforce Experience. I didn't think about that. I will when I get home. I know I disabled steam which supposedly is supposed to help.

2) Okay so this is something I did yesterday. I usually do this with most games too. So for the Nvidia Inspector, you click 'add' next to the game and browse your folders for the game data folder. Instead of 'adding' FalloutNV.exe, I added '4GBFNVLoader.exe'. Was that wrong? I am confused by what you mean by adding the FalloutMO.exe and 4GBLoader to the New Vegas Profile. Do you mind clarifying that for me please?

3) I am not sure to be honest. When I get home from work, I will make sure to change some of these settings around to test it out.

So you open your Fallout - New Vegas Profile, which already has falloutnv.exe and other defaults.  You then add fnb4gb.exe and FalloutMO.exe (which will be in your root folder if you set up the

"-laaexe .\FalloutMO.exe"

argument in MO for the 4GB extender.  You then go down to Common and set

Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode

Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance

I noticed you said in the main thread you have 3GB of vram.  Are you monitoring your usage to make sure you don't go over? I know some areas with max options of all textures can tickle the 3GB barrier.

if you are using ENBoost, try removing it for FNV. I had severe stuttering in FO3 because of it, why, I couldnt tell you.

This is basically a "fix" for the ENBoost issue that me and at least a few others realized a while back.  Doing what I said up above prevents ENBoost (aka - ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true) from causing strange stuttering issues: Try using "EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=true" in enblocal.ini and see if that fixes your problem.

ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true is the ini setting to toggles the ENBoost.

​I threw out ENB all together because MSAA is significantly better than SMAA for Fallout games, the performance hit is almost unnoticeable because the game tend to run poorly to begin with.