Star Citizen in a must watch 13 minute nutshell

redirishlord

Jump in on the next "fly free", they have plenty cash you don't have to throw yours on the pile. I'll try and post a timely reminder here. Things have come along way since the Arena Commander alpha release.

I tried the new version but gave up after an hour. Just meh. I'm not playing it until it's at least in Beta... And to be honest I'm still not sure whether they'll be able to pull it off, i.e. release the actual game. I wish them all the best, if it works it's going to be a great game, but until then I'll just stick to Elite Dangerous :)

Watch thru the first 5 minutes of the latest AtV I love the 1st person shooter style ship boarding action. I don't think ED allows that?

Anyways the Persistent Test Universe gets continous updates, 2.3.x is available live & 2.4.0 by test invite. What about the Port Olisar environs didn't you like?  

Watch thru the first 5 minutes of the latest AtV I love the 1st person shooter style ship boarding action. I don't think ED allows that?

Anyways the Persistent Test Universe gets continous updates, 2.3.x is available live & 2.4.0 by test invite. What about the Port Olisar environs didn't you like?  

It's just clumsy animations and controlling the characters, clipping issues... I just can't enjoy that stuff. that's why I decided to wait for a more fleshed out version. Not sure how is the joystick support nowadays - it used to be horrible (as in pretty much non-existent) and I didn't even try it last time I played it. 

As for ED - no, it doesn't allow for first person gameplay - YET. Multi Crew patch is coming out later this year, this will allow for actual character creation and coop play of up to 4 players in the same ship. A full FPP expansion is coming later on as a separate Season, and this will allow for walking around the ships, stations etc.

Both games have different development approach - SC does a few things, but very detailed, while ED implements broad features (thanks to that it's already an actual game) and then polishes them out in due course. 

For the record - I think comparing the 2 is pointless, as both have different aims and the only common thing is that they're both space games.

I will take a look. How large is the download?

You don't want to know :D

OK, last time I installed it, it was 30 or 40 GB worth of data... A bit ridiculous if you ask me, for what you get in it.

I will take a look. How large is the download?

My test build is 51gb right now, so it's big. They have regular "fly free" events where they let you (& me) play with a large stable of ships temporarily. Probably over the 4th of July holiday.

It's just clumsy animations and controlling the characters, clipping issues... I just can't enjoy that stuff. that's why I decided to wait for a more fleshed out version. Not sure how is the joystick support nowadays - it used to be horrible (as in pretty much non-existent) and I didn't even try it last time I played it ...

OK, last time I installed it, it was 30 or 40 GB worth of data... A bit ridiculous if you ask me, for what you get in it.

Animations are a work in progress, as it's a game in development, but I think that video shows pretty impressive progress - specifically the transition from EVA flight to walking on deck fps boarding combat. But you are correct, it continues to be fleshed out. 

Joystick support is solid, my Saitek 52 works great. CIG is partnering with Saitek on a custom SC HOTAS with mice instead of hats, it's modular with a partner M&K, but that's optional of course. Game controller or M&K works fine as well.

Yup, up to 50gb at the moment, but that's the test build of the Stanton system / Port Olisar region. Exciting discussion on procedural world building of you watch the latest 10 for the Chairman, the Frankfurt chief discusses that and other questions at length.

You don't need to defend it mate, I fully realise what SC is :)

I really wish them success, but I'm just hesitant when it comes to the usual hype around it, as - and this is just my experience and by no means I'm referring to your good self - most of the SC fans take even slight criticism as an attack on their beloved game, which isn't really a game yet, it's rather a 50 GB worth of a demo. I really hope to play a full version of it one day!

Really glad to read about the joystick support though!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

All good my friend ::D:  sorry if I came off hostile or quick to defend. I )obviously) have high hopes for the game and the genre.

Good news on the play some day front for us both, the single player game gets released before the persistent universe goes live. Maybe for the 2016 holidays? Fingers crossed. I can mod Skyrim & Fallout until then :;):  

Yeah, looking forward to that, definitely! I got hooked on X: Rebirth recently. I didn't intend to buy it after all the bad reviews it's received after the release, but a friend of mine told me about all the patching and bugfixing they did since then and I gave it a go. It's nearly as good as the previous ones, apart from having only 1 ship to fly - the rest is there. Plus it has mod support via NMM now. Give it a go if you're after a good space game (I'm not saying "sim" on purpose :) ). Do you actually play Elite?

If you're into space sims - Elite is the way to go at the moment - IMHO. I'm biased, because Elite series was always top of my Best Game Ever personal list, but nevertheless, it is a damn great game (whilst still WIP - it's a 10 year plan in total). It features realistic Milky Way galaxy created using PG software that simulated the Big Bang and created the galaxy from scratch, with such details as chemical composition of planets etc. Very scientific! There are 400 000 000 000 (sic!) star systems to visit, all the ones we know of, including the recently discovered planets, are actually in the game. Of course there is a human populated bubble with all the space politics, economy, conflicts etc. Currently you can land on planets/bodies with no atmosphere, but atmospheric landings will be added in a future expansion, as well as first person perspective module (both confirmed). It's got incredibly rich lore. And it's a total sandbox. I mean there is a storyline going on in the background, but you don't have to get involved. I would call it a simulator of life in space in 34th Century.

Any questions, let me know - I'm heavily involved and always happy to help.

I didn't realize it was so deep.

I'm also shamed to say, I've purchased Evochron Mercenary & haven't got around to playing that either. I should take a time management course or reconsider my priorities.

In non-space news I think I finally have my Skyrim mod list complete, now just need to troubleshoot my merged mods & create a conflict resolution patch. I might even play the game this summer :woot: