Star Citizen in a must watch 13 minute nutshell

redirishlord

Not bad for what it is... a very scripted game. The final version of Star Citizen should be totally dynamic and not scripted at all... other than the single player campaign module. Graphics aren't that great either.

Yeah, it is all scripted and set pieces strung together, but nonetheless it still looks very epic and intense. I don't think there is or will be anything quite like it (the epic and massive first person space battles and boarding other large ships) until the Star Citizen campaign comes out, whenever that will be.

But I'm positive it's YouTube compression that makes it look like ****. Gamespot ripped the gameplay from a heavily compressed livestream then reuploaded it to YouTube for it to be compressed again.

Edit:

I updated the video with one that isn't compressed and doesn't look awful.

Edited by SynthetikHD

Yeah, it is all scripted and set pieces strung together, but nonetheless it still looks very epic and intense. I don't think there is or will be anything quite like it (the epic and massive first person space battles and boarding other large ships) until the Star Citizen campaign comes out, whenever that will be.

But I'm positive it's YouTube compression that makes it look like ****. Gamespot ripped the gameplay from a heavily compressed livestream then reuploaded it to YouTube for it to be compressed again.

Edit:

I updated the video with one that isn't compressed and doesn't look awful.

@ Synthetic: I'm glad to see more franchises getting into the mix, competition is good.

On the Citizen side, they integrated the control sets in 2.4.0 so flight & fps synergize much better (afterburners keybind becomes sprint, the jump key converts to up when you transition from walking to EVA, etc).

@ Neo: You're right, two games in one, Squadron 42 as the new Wing Commander for single player plus the whole MMO universe for bounty hunting/mining/piracy/trading and eventually boots on the ground combat/exploration of procedurally generated planets.

@ Bircangelo: I still have Freelancer Crossfire mod installed & occasionally play some single player (on a 12 year old game). Citizen is supposed to run live for a decade or so with content released along the way & the devs acting as "dungeon masters" for emergent game play. I'm hoping Citizen has the longevity of Freelancer, hopefully the devs will try to add as much as the modding community.

Edited by redirishlord

Honestly thinking about star citizen is giving me chills lately.Chills of fear because it became too ambitious and actually got more money then it needed.Im a pessimistic person and it suits me fine with not getting dissappointed.They better release the full game soon otherwise they might need an overhaul with the graphical technology getting bigger more and more each day.

• +1 1

Well, the plan was to release the single player (first 30 hour installment) then open the MMO universe. Development to continue on the single player(second 30 hour installment) with drop in content developed for the MMO, and repeat for a third go round completing the Squadron 42 series.

Since Chris Roberts (Wing Commander) is steering from LA and brother Erin Roberts (Privateer) is running Manchester you got design on two fronts, plus the backend run by Tony Zurovec out of Austin & fps/animation by Brian Chambers (Frankfurt).

Finally, like you said, they did fully finance the project (and then some) and don't have a publisher to feed. They continue to state they are building up staff in a targeted & sustainable way with the long view (decade) in mind. Obviously I'm a fanboy and take the optimistic view, I'm hopeful & mostly confident we're in store for a great ride.

Edit: I totally skipped the part about future proofing the game graphics-wise, Brian speaks to that @21:15 of the video I linked in my previous post (10 for the Developers episode 13). To paraphrase briefly: they are actively integrating new graphics APIs, watch the video he actually reads a detailed technical response from the camera-shy folks working on this.

Edited by redirishlord

Man im still worried though, believe me when i say i really want this game to succeed.Because Freelancer was the all time best game i ever played.I mean it.For me no other game gave me such excitement both offline and online.The friends i gained there were the best people i have ever met online.Hell my clan leader basicly bought me a 100 dolar worth cruiser, real money and at that time(i was in high school) it simply shocked me.

I really don't mind the graphics(I love minecraft so you can guess)but i am worried about the combat system.Will this game give me the fluent non stop thrill of the dog fights freelancer gave me?Can i get in to epic multiplayer battles that at least 100 people come together online and you can't see anything because of all lazers and mines and missles going about?After the battle can i get around with my friends and celebrate our victory/defeat together?Will i remember it after many years later when i teach my son/daughter about games and will it bring a smile on my face?Those are the questions that i desperatly need an answer for.

Watch the archived video on their site (if you haven't already), read the lore (canon & fan fiction), lurk the forums (at your own risk :;): ) and join an organization or few ...

SCsignatureSmall_zpsobbglo0z.png~origina

I may be an over achiever there. I hear you on Freelancer, it was/is awesome, I'm confident SC will be too. Play in the alpha universe, it gets better all the time.

The thing that worries me about SC combat is the mouse-aim mode. Even if they do release dedicated controlled I can't see it being more accurate than good old mouse. It trivialises combat IMHO and makes it very FPS-like, which in turn makes the impression the combat is more arcade than simulation. Not a fan of that solution at all must say.

Root: Because in the future all the spaceship captains are not going to be using auto aim? Nah they are going to do the honorable thing and fly with a stick! :P

I always found that thing kinda amusing in future space games... considering what is going on now, then tracking and aiming would most likely be 100% automated. Which is again why small craft most likely would just be drones... not much point in having humans fly something that will just get shot down the second it gets too close to anything remotely big. 

Yes yes I know they have to actually make a game out of it... but still! 

Hmm will check their forums but i still won't buy it till i see the final version sorry :D

Don't be sorry, take all the time you need, I don't make a commission on this :lol: but maybe I should. The game is funded, and hopefully doing the MMO for a decade, so you have all the time in world.

The thing that worries me about SC combat is the mouse-aim mode. Even if they do release dedicated controlled I can't see it being more accurate than good old mouse. It trivialises combat IMHO and makes it very FPS-like, which in turn makes the impression the combat is more arcade than simulation. Not a fan of that solution at all must say.

Some details on the controller here, its a HOTAS that snaps to a keyboard or not as desired, it has mice instead of hats so best of both worlds. Plus the game is built to be controller agnostic, meaning m&k / game controller / HOTAS are all viable options. You've probably also noticed weapons come in three aiming "flavors"; fixed (aim with ship), gimbaled (aim with mouse while ship tracks same) & turreted (as gimbaled when aimed by pilot or more Millennium Falcon style with a gunner). Combine that with with the fly by wire Newtonian physics driven flight & the "blackout"/"redout" mechanic simulating g-force & enforcing you roll your top in the direction you want to turn (for max g tolerance) it works out quite well. I can't say it's realistic space flight (I've never been) but it definitely gives me flashbacks to prop-driven yanking & banking :teehee: