MO Appcrash due to Qt5Gui.dll

dx1

Question

Hello everyone,

first I'd like to say this is no bug report because the problem seems to be completly on my end. I repeatedly get an Appcrash with "Fault Module Name: Qt5Gui.dll". I run MO 1.3.8 on Windows 7 64, installed it with and without admin rights and tried to run it normal and "as admin". Doesn't matter.

I close the program → appcrash.
I download something from the nexus while MO is running → appcrash.
I download something from the nexus without MO running → MO starts → no appcrash.

While I can just close the window regarding the crash and continue to install and manage mods, I better do not download another file while MO is running. I would get another appcrash.

Yesterday I copied all my downloads from NMM to MO/downloads and started to query infos from the nexus, sorted some out, downloaded updated versions and so on, just closing any appcrash-info that popped up. This resulted in a freeze of the program. After kicking the process from Task Manager and restarting MO I realized all downloads and mods were gone. I found the whole bunch of them in the bin.

In case my writing is hard to understand, I recorded what I described: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBxU1AqEDTM Nevermind I did highlight the wrong line in the first appcrash window.

I hope you can help me figuring out what's the problem with this dll. It's the one that came with the installer, I did not deselect the option to install the QT-dlls.

Problemereignisname:    APPCRASH
Anwendungsname: ModOrganizer.exe
Anwendungsversion:  1.3.8.0
Anwendungszeitstempel:  55854f4d
Fehlermodulname:    Qt5Gui.dll
Fehlermodulversion: 5.4.1.0
Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 5554efe6
Ausnahmecode:   c0000005
Ausnahmeoffset: 0001e8de
Betriebsystemversion:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Gebietsschema-ID:   1031
Zusatzinformation 1:    f2bb
Zusatzinformation 2:    f2bb90e3966911598f7489f5fe9100af
Zusatzinformation 3:    d9fe
Zusatzinformation 4:    d9fecf93a522eb346e86e7882efb7800
Edited by dx1

Great, so the file is correct. While I still have that issue, tried almost everything. Moreover, I did some checks and actually exactly the same issue occurs on the empty MO configuration without any game selected.

I extracted MO from 7z Nexus archive to the root of non C drive, run it as admin and when MO asked to select a game simply pressed Cancel, then pufff and the error appears.

I managed to find work around by disabling Windows Error Reporting Service completely, but it may hide other important errors even not related to MO. So it would be good to finally solve the original issue and enable Windows Error Reporting Service back.

I got procmon log (below is the cut with non-successes only, I can provide full if needed), may be you can compare it with your procmon output from MO which has no error occurred while Cancelling game selection (or closing configured MO), so it may give a clue where to dig further?

"Time of Day","Process Name","PID","Operation","Path","Result","Detail"
"18:16:30.2700321","ModOrganizer.exe","1928","CreateFile","C:\temp\qt_temp.Uh1928","NAME NOT FOUND","Desired Access: Synchronize, Disposition: Open, Options: , Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a"
"18:16:30.2747024","ModOrganizer.exe","1928","QueryOpen","D:\MO\webcache\nexus_cookies.dat","NAME NOT FOUND",""
"18:16:30.2749117","ModOrganizer.exe","1928","RegOpenKey","HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System","REPARSE","Desired Access: Query Value"
"18:16:30.2750451","ModOrganizer.exe","1928","RegQueryValue","HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\CopyFileBufferedSynchronousIo","NAME NOT FOUND","Length: 20"
"18:16:30.2754392","ModOrganizer.exe","1928","CreateFile","C:\temp\qt_temp.Uh1928","SHARING VIOLATION","Desired Access: Generic Read, Disposition: Open, Options: Sequential Access, Non-Directory File, Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a"
"18:16:30.2784334","ModOrganizer.exe","1928","CreateFile","D:\MO\webcache\nexus_cookies.dat","NAME NOT FOUND","Desired Access: Synchronize, Disposition: Open, Options: , Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a"
"18:16:30.2813434","ModOrganizer.exe","1928","RegOpenKey","HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System","REPARSE","Desired Access: Query Value"
"18:16:30.2814714","ModOrganizer.exe","1928","RegQueryValue","HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\CopyFileChunkSize","NAME NOT FOUND","Length: 20"
"18:16:30.2815036","ModOrganizer.exe","1928","RegQueryValue","HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\CopyFileOverlappedCount","NAME NOT FOUND","Length: 20"
"18:16:30.2858964","ModOrganizer.exe","1928","RegQueryValue","HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\CEIPEnable","NAME NOT FOUND","Length: 20"
"18:16:30.2859914","ModOrganizer.exe","1928","RegQueryValue","HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\CEIPEnable","NAME NOT FOUND","Length: 20"
"18:16:30.2874841","ModOrganizer.exe","1928","RegOpenKey","HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones\Russian Standard Time\Dynamic DST","REPARSE","Desired Access: Read, Maximum Allowed"
"18:16:30.2877282","ModOrganizer.exe","1928","RegQueryValue","HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones\Russian Standard Time\Dynamic DST\2017","NAME NOT FOUND","Length: 4,094"
"18:16:30.2882927","ModOrganizer.exe","1928","QueryOpen","D:\MO\dbghelp.dll","NAME NOT FOUND",""
"18:16:30.2891392","ModOrganizer.exe","1928","CreateFileMapping","C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dbghelp.dll","FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS","SyncType: SyncTypeCreateSection, PageProtection: "

Occasionally I found another workaround (or solution?) by setting up Compatibility mode for MO to Windows 7.

Can you confirm whether MO will work without performance degradation and other issues in Win 7 compatibility mode? Btw, it's on Win 7 64-bit system.

You're running Mod Organizer on Windows 7 so you set it to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode? :confusion:

I have heard of at least one person reporting an issue with Mod Organizer (although it may have Mod Organizer 64-bit) that wouldn't run property when set to run in compatibility mode on Windows 10.

You're running Mod Organizer on Windows 7 so you set it to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode? :confusion:

That's exactly what concerns me as well. To fix all 0xc0000005 (when closing configured MO, when Cancelling game selection on clear MO configuration, when clicking Nexus download link and even when running forcedly second MO from different folder) the only change in the environment is to enable Compatibility checkbox and select Windows 7 (screenshot attached).

After that, in the Win 7 compatibility mode, I downloaded several mods, installed them, played Skyrim for a couple of hours from MO and everything looks fine.

Disabling compatibility checkbox for MO immediately returns 0xc0000005 crashes.

I compared environment variables in Process Explorer for MO between two modes, the only difference is in __COMPAT_LAYER variable:

Variable                    Value

__COMPAT_LAYER    RunAsAdmin                -> 0xc0000005 crashes

__COMPAT_LAYER    RunAsAdmin Win7RTM -> no crashes nor errors

post-11391-0-95744100-1497517709_thumb.png

If you run MO as admin in any mode and then call programmes from it that are not running in admin mode those programmes may have issues trying to save/edit files. This is why STEP does not encourage running MO as admin unless instructed to in very limited circumstances.

Just checked it, Admin has no influence on these erros/crashes. If MO starts without Admin the behavior is the same:

without Admin rights and no compatibility mode selected -> no __COMPAT_LAYER variable set -> 0xc0000005 crashes

without Admin rights and compatibility mode set to Win7 -> __COMPAT_LAYER is Win7RTM -> no crashes nor errors

I had EXACTLY the same issue in Windows 7 64-bit (All updates done to October 2017).  MO would crash upon exit, downloading from Nexus whether closed or open.  Would display crash message upon EVERY Nexus download, but not close MO itself.  Didn't seem to affect the stability of the game once it was going, and downloads would complete.

It's a crash caused by Qt5Gui.dll.  I CAN CONFIRM that running the app in Compatibility Mode for Windows 7, however bizarre, seems to fix it.  It didn't always crash so I can only assume some prerequisite that another game on Steam/Origin has installed has caused it, or a Windows update.  To be safe I reinstalled Visual C++ Runtime 2013 both 32 and 64 bit but made no difference.  Also reinstalling Mod Organizer itself made no difference.

Here's the Windows Event Viewer Log:

Faulting application name: ModOrganizer.exe, version: 1.3.11.0, time stamp: 0x55eaff0b

Faulting module name: Qt5Gui.dll, version: 5.4.1.0, time stamp: 0x5554efe6
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0001e8de
Faulting process id: 0x87c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d341fbe2025220
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mod Organizer\ModOrganizer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mod Organizer\dlls\Qt5Gui.dll
Report Id: 2258afe0-adef-11e7-9220-010101010000

Hardware Specs:
ASUS Strix Z270F Motherboard
Core i7 7700k @ 4.2GHz (Not Overclocked)
32GB Corsair 3200MHz RAM
Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti w/ 11GB GDDR5
512GB Samsung Evo Pro SSD (MO and Skyrim on the SSD)
3 TB Mechanical HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Clamwin / No Active Antivirus (W7 only for gaming)

Hope this helps,
Unlikely we'll get to the bottom of it now, but the workaround you discovered works great so :-).
More an annoyance than anything...
Cheers,
David