DynDOLOD brought my system to its knees

Thick8

Question

If there was an HQ variant, I used it; and everything is maxed out in the game settings. So, of course, I ran DynDOLOD on high. The game never got past the load screen. I fired up MSI AB and watched to see what was happening. Vram when up to 8104 and system memory went up the 7426. Heck, even some of my running processes shut down. Guess I need more memory. The game is absolutely beautiful though. I'm going to try DynDOLOD on medium to see what happens.

10 answers to this question

Tried it on medium and still having the same issue. I'm begining to think I'm installing it wrong. The directions that are packaged with DynDOLOD state to put the contents of the data folder into the Skyrim data folder. I was following the STEP directions and there is no mention of that. I'm going to have another go at it but it takes some time to complete.

When I create the archive of the texture file created by DynDOLOD TexGen; then use that archive to create the STEP LOD mod, should I delete the texture file from the TESedit5LODGenOutput folder in which it was created before proceeding to the next step. Or should I leave it there to be overwriten when I run the DynDOLOD world script?

Edited by Thick8

Before redoing everything, check your skse.ini settings and use Memory Blocks Log to verify you're not exceeding the limits for both blocks. When I use updated my STEP Extended profile to 2K and high resolution LODs, I had to bump the memory allocations in skse.ini as follows:

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1
EnableDiagnostics=1

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=1024
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

EDIT: As I recall, a crash before you get to the loading screen usually means you have a missing master so you might run TESVEdit, load you entire profile, and verify it isn't missing any masters. Also verify your enblocal.ini settings. I've generally found that setting DefaultHeapInitAllocMB above 768 causes Skyrim to crash before the load screen if ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true in the MEMORY section. This is what I'm currently using, although your VideoMemorySizeMb is likely to be different than mine.

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false // Set to false for AMD Videocards
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=7766        // Formula: Total Available Video Memory - 170
EnableCompression=false
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

Try playing around with ReservedMemorySizeMB. Set it to 1024, see what happens; set it to 256, see what happens. As for high res mods, don't always go for 4k. If you have many landscape textures, try using the 1k variants instead of the 2k ones. The settings Greg posted also seem to work best for me, except I tend to use EnableCompression=True and have my ReservedMemorySizeMB generally set higher than 512.

Do you even have 8GB of VRAM? I sincerely doubt it because if you have a card with 8GB VRAM it should be beef enough to not give a crap about DynDoLOD.

I have 2 R9 290 4Gb cards. I monitored Vram and RAM with MSI afterburner.

BTW: Your implication is quite rude and un-necessary. Your heading states the you are a "Chatroom Supervisor". Give the respect you assume your title deserves.

For the record, I'm having the same problem. Did this get fixed OP?

It would seem the issue was that the STEP install instructions are missing the part where you have to move some files from the DynDOLOD archive. I'm not at that computer right now. Read the quick start html file in the archive to see what it says. After moving the files and folder indicated in the quickstart, follow the STEP instructions.

Edited by Thick8

I researched your answer. I was unaware of the fact that the ram was mirrored. I wonder if I took the GPUs out of crossfire configuration and ran Skyrim in windowed mode across the 3 monitors  (the side monitors being driven by 1 card and center monitor by the other card) if I would realize an increase of usable Vram. Something else to research it would seem.

Thank you for your answer.

John