RUSTIC MONUMENTS and TOMBSTONES (by SparrowPrince and Gamwich)

rootsrat

• 2 months later...

My only thing with this is what Greg mentions. The wall really stands out with this mod. It needs more snow and maybe a color/tone change to blend better. The other textures are good, though, so we could simply voice our concerns to and hide the wall texture for now. Maybe Gamwich will be wiling to make an optional texture that blends better.

Gam seems to have been very responsive to suggestions and recommendations before... see no reason why he wouldn't be now. Even if he doesn't, I'm not sure it's enough of an eyesore that I'd want to hide it though. It's still a marked improvement over vanilla.

I'm still using this despite the mismatched wall with some justifications. I agree that it is significantly better than vanilla and I walk down the path with that wall so infrequently that I rarely see it. Even vanilla has a texture mismatch here so I'm not expecting perfection, but it might be nice if Gamwich could try to make it mesh a bit better.

Eh, I'll try and look into this on Sunday if I can. Can anyone find these specific NIF files and post them please (the graves and wall plaques)? I just re-installed Windows so I'm trying to not spoil it by having files all over the place again. :;):  I'll see if I can at least make the wall memorial in full-on 3D with some nice textures. I'll take the critical assessments of Gam's work and see if I do something. I actually agree with your comments, now having a proper look. The wall memorial background looks a bit like peeling wallpaper. It is also a tad dark. 

TechAngel85, on 21 Apr 2016 - 11:47 PM, said:

Basically It looks like mud that has harden, but the new texture looks like new mud. Freshly put up. I'm not against using it. It's an improvement. There's just still some room for more improvement.

This is most likely the problem... I don't think it's mud to begin with. Maybe the colours and glossiness are not doing it any favours?

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...

I'm a little unclear on what people are objecting to here. Sparrow made the meshes, so if you're looking for someone to blame, my money is on him.... Just saying.  :;):

The dark texture on the wall is what is throwing everyone off. True it even contrasts in vanilla sharply. Would like something that blended a bit better with the surrounding textures while still being its own feature.

The monument wall with the names on the stones seems to be a much darker black compared to the remainder of the wall. The impression is that the two parts of the wall don't quite mesh together in terms of color, but I think the same is true of the vanilla wall as well.

68884-1-1440027206.jpg

Sorry, which part of the wall are you referring to? Oh, are you referring to the mortar around the name marker stones... You want it to look lighter?

That it. No one could figure out that the texture is suppose to be. Mud? Dirt? Cement? Unicorn glue?  :^_^:  If it's mud, then it's way too dark for frozen mud open the the elements. Dash some more snow on there, lighten up the color and it'll look better with the surrounding textures. Granted Windhelm itself is in need of a good makeover.

Obviously, when Harald established "fair" Windhelm, it looked quite different.  :;):

Have you looked at the vanilla texture? It's a similar grey value with some dark stains on it, and it's only 512 x 512, so the names are illegible. You see, here's an example where you don't want the vanilla appearance, you actually want something different. That's why I said all this "mandate" business is very subjective.

Edited by Gamwich

To be fair, the vanilla version is a lot brighter. That said, the vanilla texture is waaay to small to tell anything.

But I'm in debate myself over this one. The problem I see is that since the texture is on repeat the names shouldn't be readable as you'd get the same names more than once, which I think is the main reason to why the names can't be read in the first place.

Vanilla "HD" Textures on left and RUSTIC on the right.

ZvqiwU0.jpg

Edited by Exoclyps