oblivion: clean vanilla install freezes when starting new game

macfoo

Question

I'm at my wit's end!

I had been installing mods following the mythic dawn guide.  Build was stable and beautiful until I did some last minute fiddling with open cities / better cities (messed up terrain around anvil/lighthouse).  Installed and uninstalled both a couple times, tried different versions, etc, and then finally decided it wasnt worth it and stripped it all out and then when I tried to launch was first time game froze when trying to start new game.  Tried a couple more times, troubleshooted what I could, same result.

I figured thats what I get for messing with those big unwieldy mods and I screwed my build and fine, back to square one.

Uninstalled everything, deleted everyhthing I could think of, followed the uninstall guides, etc, and re-downloaded from Steam.

Launched clean vanilla from Steam, and the games froze when I selected to start new game.  %^&%#$^#$

Since, I have reinstalled the game several times, followed every uninstall guide I could find, tried completing the operations in different orders, uninstalled all related programs (wrye, etc), ccleaned the crap out of everything, manually scoured every nook and cranny of every folder on every drive, sacrificed the neighbor's ferret to Based God, ran things as an admininstrator, reorganized my desktop, whimpered in the corner, installed Oblivion in and out of program files, and cried many tears.

I've searched and searched the old internet machine, and while various iterations of the freezing issue seem rather numerous, none of the fixes work for or apply to me.  Most seemed to fix by deleting mods or using the discs to reinstall (discs? what is this 1997?), but I have scrubbed every trace of every mod related anything, and I can't remember the last time I even saw a game disc.

I'm out of ideas.  Anybody?

i5 3.2, 8gb, gtx 970, windows 10.

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Yeah, idk really. Post a pic of your \Oblivion folder and your \Oblivion\Data folder.

Do you have multiple monitors btw?

Try:

Moving your whole \My Documents\My Games\Oblivion folder somewhere else and try launching.

Try downloading this https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Try right clicking Oblivion.exe and set to low resolution and run as administrator.