CK crashes on render in MO

Deboch

Question

Since "upgrading" to Win 10 from 7 I have had problems with CK crashing within MO whenever I try to render in the character preview pane or cell design. CK does display meshes and textures for races, etc however.

CK works as intended outside of MO; and oddly enough I can compile scripts when CK is launched from within MO. The problem is down to rendering.

After searching the Internet and these forums, this is what I have found thus far to resolve this problem.

Fully removed the video driver, cleaned the registry and reinstalled. - Still crashes.

Fully removed CK & Skyrim, cleaned the registry and reinstalled. - Still crashes.

Fully removed ENB from Skyrim prior to launching CK from MO. - Still crashes.

Video card is an nVidia GTX-970 running driver ver 355.60. I did roll back to driver 353.62 and had the same problem with the earlier driver.

For right now, the only solutions I have left are, roll back the video driver and hope something works, roll back to Win 7 or mess around with modding in the data directory and hope I fully clean it out when done.  :)

Again, everything loads just fine, I can edit all the text I desire; and can even compile scripts. I am at a loss on the rendering as I have tried the solutions I was able to find. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

8 answers to this question

SOLVED!

It appears as though CK being ran through MO, or my installation of it suffers the same problem the Skyproc patcher(s) has with the more recent UKSP. Specifically 2.1.2 and newer. Been running CK through MO with the UKSP activated for so long I did not even consider it as being suspect. Once the unofficial patches were deactivated in the left pane, all worked as intended.

Thanks again to those who chipped in.

Edited by Deboch

If you try to load up a Plugin that has a master and that master has a bsa in the Data folder without it being included in the SkyrimEditor.ini then the CK will crash.

Here is the ini tweak for the Official DLC

SResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Update.bsa, Dawnguard.bsa, Hearthfires.bsa, Dragonborn.bsa 

Checked that, and have the tweak is already in the ini file for the DLC's. And the only thing that has a bsa is the initial Skyrim program and DLC's. The rest have been unpacked. Having used CK from within MO without any problems for a couple years now, this one has me perplexed.

I forgot to add, I have set all the Skyrim directories and their content as being able to be managed by everyone (as someone mentioned in another post re: Win 10), and all executables are set to run as administrator.

Edited by Deboch

Just verified that all was set for full control and run as administrator as well. (first thing I did after the update, but something could have changed it) Will continue to look for a solution, and maybe someone will have an idea to try.

Do you mind posting your MO logs and any crash dumps that may have been generated?

It's going to be very hard to see what is causing this, if anything without some diagnostic material.

Just a thought from left field, since it is a graphical issue, ie. the render window, what happens if you remove any ENB stuff from the Skyrim folder?

I used to get issues with the CK when it found a D3D9.dll it didn't like.

Removing any trace of ENB's, including d3d9.dll and EXE's was the first thing I tried. Current ENB version is 0.272. No problem with the ENB outside of MO.

The log with only a single session of opening MO, CK and trying to render an outside cell I was working on was over 900K. So unable to attach it. This was with anything relating to any ENB removed. But the last line has the crash, and cause. Good ole c0000005 exception. So, CK is looking for something but is going into a black hole to do it.

INFO (23:16:49.0512): Windows Exception (c0000005). Origin: "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\CreationKit.exe" (57e285). Last hooked call: void *__stdcall CreateFileW_rep(const wchar_t *,unsigned long,unsigned long,struct _SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES *,unsigned long,unsigned long,void *)

The crash was reported as:

Sig[0].Name=Application Name
Sig[0].Value=CreationKit.exe
Sig[1].Name=Application Version
Sig[1].Value=1.9.36.0
Sig[2].Name=Application Timestamp
Sig[2].Value=5522d2ae
Sig[3].Name=Fault Module Name
Sig[3].Value=CreationKit.exe
Sig[4].Name=Fault Module Version
Sig[4].Value=1.9.36.0
Sig[5].Name=Fault Module Timestamp
Sig[5].Value=5522d2ae
Sig[6].Name=Exception Code
Sig[6].Value=c0000005
Sig[7].Name=Exception Offset
Sig[7].Value=0017e285

Will continue looking from my end, and thanks for the responces thus far.

At least we know the crash is because CK can't find a file!  ::D:

Maybe have another look at @hishutup's idea about which assets are being loaded. Set up an absolutely bare-minimum profile and call the CK from MO and see if you still get a crash. If not add in the mods you were wanting to edit and see if does then, if so those assets aren't getting used.

Mind you it could be something obscure like the texture path in a *.nif is all wrong or worse.

Trial and error is going to be friend in this I'm afraid.