PC Gamers Destroying the World Confirmed

Yep we will soon be living beyond Thunderdome (Australia) thanks to the likes of people building 1000W gaming PCs like GrantSP. ::P:  A new study confirms PC gamers use a "ridiculous" amount of energy:

The study further confirmed that gaming PCs collectively consumed 75 terawatt-hours of electricity in 2012. That's roughly 20 percent of the total PC, notebook and console energy use despite the fact that gaming PCs made up just 2.5 percent of global installed PC equipment.

https://www.techspot.com/news/62009-new-study-highlights-ridiculous-amount-energy-consumed-gaming.html

Air conditions consume substantially more power, especially because a component of the apparent power is reactive.

Thats without taking into account other high current appliances.

I dont know about you but just because my psu is 1200W, that doesnt mean I am consuming that much, I average around 170W because my cpu doesnt want to go to a lower power state :/

Just the sight of the topic bug me

I'm ok with that sort of comment because I fortunately live in a state where 100% of the electricity is renewable, ie. hydro-electric.

That's not to say I'm not conscious of the need to streamline where possible but I just thought that particular PSU was a good price/choice.

My other option was to have a cage full of small birds wildly flapping their wings to power a wind generator. Know where I can get my hands on a sparrow or two? ::):

I'm ok with that sort of comment because I fortunately live in a state where 100% of the electricity is renewable, ie. hydro-electric.

That's not to say I'm not conscious of the need to streamline where possible but I just thought that particular PSU was a good price/choice.

My other option was to have a cage full of small birds wildly flapping their wings to power a wind generator. Know where I can get my hands on a sparrow or two? ::):

Im pretty sure hydro power is considered nonrenewable and for the second thing, I know of one bird that would be better cadged up.

I think the point was that PC gaming, compared to a much larger install base, uses a crap load of power. I don't see what it has to do with air conditioners or who has Hydro power.  Also, I thought the article wouldn't go down well here because of nearly everyone gaming on PC.   :^_^: Word.

Oh and birds don't generate that much power whilst locked in a cage with other birds. They prefer using that energy pecking people in the butt, like how Hitchcock would have possibly imagined.  ::P:

I thought that the multi-cores actually use a whole lot less energy than their predecessors.  It certainly seems to be the case with the mobile equivalents.

My MSI GT72 Dominator laptop is currently showing 27 W used.  Granted, I've only got a browser open currently - however, my last dual core laptop as drawing something like 80 W just sitting there.  My dual core laptop would get so hot playing certain games that it could burn skin.  My current "Beast" has never gotten GPU or CPU temperatures past 66C.

Wish I could say it made me feel "greener," but I'm pretty sure if I tack on the energy used to manufacture such technology, then ship it here and there before being purchased and shipped again to me, and used that added to my "low power consumption" I'd find that it's more of an energy pig than I'd like to admit.

PC Gamers Destroying the World Confirmed

It's always going to be something, isn't it?  :cool:

Residential energy use is less than 20% of total energy consumption world wide, so unless big industry is going to lead by example, what can we do about it? Also, the comparison to console use is utter nonsense; it seems to completely ignore the use of a TV for starters. A PS3 can easily hit 180W on it's own, and a PS4 around 140W. Older LCD TVs and Plasma screens will use around 150W, which combined, is about is the same or higher as a gaming PC (single high-end GPU) under load.

How they manage to compare one PC to ten consoles, I do not know. What I do know, it that smells a bit like horsesh*t to me.

Edited by Quinnbeast
  • +1 2