W3R: The Wild Hunt Revisited (Witcher 3)

Neovalen

W3R: The Wild Hunt Revisited

W3R: The Wild Hunt Revisited is the Witcher 3 equivalent to my much-lauded Skyrim Revisited: Legendary Edition mod guide. I absolutely love The Witcher 3 and consider it one of the best games to be released in recent memory. That said, there are many things to improve upon in it and with the mod tools being released on August 14, 2015 I decided to write up a companion guide.

I've spent a fair bit of time getting the guide into a state where I think it is ready to begin sharing with all of you. It is not completed and will be updated over time as I decide more components to add and/or graphics tweaks to use similar to how my Skyrim guide has been.

Feedback and discussion via this thread is welcome and appreciated. Enjoy everyone.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

Q: How do I get NMM to download The Witcher 3 mods while I am using MO to download Skyrim mods via the download with manger button on the Nexus?

A:

1. Install Nexus Mod Manager with file associations all turned off in the installer.

2. Run nxmhandler.exe in your Mod Organizer directory.

3. Right click a blank spot and select "Add".

4. Select "Other" then point it to Nexus Mod Manager (NexusClient.exe) and click [OK].

5. Double click "Other" in the main window and rename it to witcher3.

6. Enjoy. If for some reason it doesn't work, click [Register Active] to make sure this is the nxm handler in use.

• +1 4

looks like i will be finally downloading the witcher 3

Looks like I'll finally be installing The Witcher 2 in preparation of playing & modding 3 :p I haven't played The Witcher 1 either but I think I'll skip it.

About this guide, what is its target audience? People who are already familiar with the vanilla game or completely new players (or both)? I was planning to go in this completely blind, without having played vanilla 3. Would you recommend getting used to the vanilla HUD elements for example before installing mods that change these?

Looks like I'll finally be installing The Witcher 2 in preparation of playing & modding 3 :p I haven't played The Witcher 1 either but I think I'll skip it.

About this guide, what is its target audience? People who are already familiar with the vanilla game or completely new players (or both)? I was planning to go in this completely blind, without having played vanilla 3. Would you recommend getting used to the vanilla HUD elements for example before installing mods that change these?

if you don't want to play it you could always watch gopher's LP of Witcher 1 (i've watched both his 1 and 2) I played 2 on xbox 360 but that was ages ago i going to jump into witcher 3 modded.

the thing i've got to get used to again is nexus mod manger so used to Mod Organizer now.

Edited by Darth_mathias

There's not much to NMM when it comes to modding Witcher 3. I use it in my W3 guide too and it's the matter of double-clicking the file to install and same to uninstall. 

One thing to notice is that if you modify a mod directory content (for example when changing mod settings via a config file, like Friendly HUD does), NMM will not delete this directory when you uninstall the mod and you need to remove it manually. A minor disadvantage really, but worth noting. 

Witcher 1 actually has a lot of characters that show up in 3 that were not in Witcher 2. That being said, Witcher 3 does a pretty good job of showing context without playing the previous games. I only played 2/3 of Witcher 1 and so I got to know a few of the characters from there and ran out of time to play Witcher 2 before playing TW3.

Right now, as it stands, there are no combat related changes and it is mostly tweaks, fixes, and HUD improvement. Therefore it is very safe for a first playthrough. :)

ok need some help how do I get NMM to download Witcher 3 mods and MO to download skyrim mods via the download with manger button? 

1. Install Nexus Mod Manager with file associations all turned off in the installer.

2. Run nxmhandler.exe in your Mod Organizer directory.

3. Right click a blank spot and select "Add".

4. Select "Other" then point it to Nexus Mod Manager (NexusClient.exe) and click [OK].

5. Double click "Other" in the main window and rename it to witcher3.

6. Enjoy. If for some reason it doesn't work, click [Register Active] to make sure this is the nxm handler in use.

Also adding this to the newly added FAQ section in the OP. :)

thanks Neo thats got it sorted (I am really out of practice with NMM)

as time goes on Neo you might find this tool useful https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/484/?

Well that's a good start to my modding the Witcher 3 installed my first mod (friendly hud) and already managed to break the bloody game i get on the horse and i cant move or do anything cant even load up the menu to exit have to ctrl, alt, del to get out the game.

so a reinstall in under way decided going to play the game on vanillia for awhile before jumping in at the deep end

Edited by Darth_mathias

thanks Neo thats got it sorted (I am really out of practice with NMM)

as time goes on Neo you might find this tool useful https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/484/?

Well that's a good start to my modding the Witcher 3 installed my first mod (friendly hud) and already managed to break the bloody game i get on the horse and i cant move or do anything cant even load up the menu to exit have to ctrl, alt, del to get out the game.

so a reinstall in under way decided going to play the game on vanillia for awhile before jumping in at the deep end

Always a good plan. Interesting that you managed to break it that fast... lol. :)

In any case, I am aware of the script merger but I don't trust automatic merges... mainly because they have screwed me in the past. I always do my own merging. In the guide I give instructions line by line on what to do, however, when I do it myself I generally use either the NPP Compare plugin, Winmerge, or Beyond Compare to evaluate what should be merged.