wanted

Wiki Header and Text Whitespace

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:42 PM

Agree that the letter spacing is a nice touch. Also agree with s4n on the margin spacing around the headers. I am a fan of minimal whitespace below headings (larger for main headings and smaller to absent for minor headings). I like some whitespace above all headings, but not too much, as it wastes real estate. I think the current implementation (now including said letter spacing for headings) actually looks a bit better than the proposed changes:

Also, not a huge fan of too many borders on too many headings. I like them on H2 only and very light at that.

Editor
The standard format in editor windows can also have some influence on the outcome, particularly when added line breaks exist. Here is how you had the last section:

==Advanced Scripting==
===Conditions===
Conditions are instructions for the FOMOD installer to follow based upon a set state of a specific flag or flags. These conditions can be used for whether or not to display a specific page of the installer to users or whether or not to install specific files or mod options, all based upon the user's selection choices within the FOMOD installer itself.

===Dependancies===

==Troubleshooting==

Tags are case sensitive!
It's important to know that XML tags are case sensitive.

===== NOTES =====

Nothing as of yet...

... but the following is much less wasteful and easier to navigate IMO. I have tried hard to maintain this spacing between paragraphs and headings in the 'edit' formatting throughout the wiki:

==Advanced Scripting==
===Conditions===
Conditions are instructions for the FOMOD installer to follow based upon a set state of a specific flag or flags. These conditions can be used for whether or not to display a specific page of the installer to users or whether or not to install specific files or mod options, all based upon the user's selection choices within the FOMOD installer itself.

===Dependancies===
==Troubleshooting==
Tags are case sensitive!
It's important to know that XML tags are case sensitive.

===== NOTES =====
Nothing as of yet...

Lastly, as I have stated in the STEP Wiki Editing guide ... it is probably best to place any magic words, categories or inline format refs (e.g., CSS) to TOP of page, so that editors can immediately (and consistently) see what specific changes are being made to a particular article without having to scroll down.

#17 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,111 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:51 PM

CSS extension is going away so it's placement in the document is neither here nor there at this point. Also the spacing in the document is for my own benefit since it's not final and a lot more will be added into those sections. It's not ready for the public yet, so take any line breaks with a grain of salt. In fact, you probably shouldn't be looking too far into any of it right now. With the syntax highlighting coming soon, it will probably all change anyway.

I'm glad everyone at least liked the letter spacing. I was trying to give the headers a bit more of a distinguished look and that was the most minimal change I could think of.

#18 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:58 PM

Yeah, that makes sense then ... was taking advantage of a "teaching moment" on syntax in editor for those of us that maintain articles.

I definitely don't dislike your changes, and it could be argued that your modified headings are 'better' than the current implementation. It comes down to user preference in the end, so I leave the final design to s4n in the context of his new skin implementation.

#19 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 12,111 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 01:31 PM

Is there a reason the H5 header has an underline decoration when none of the other headers have this?

Viewing it on this guide: http://wiki.step-pro...vanced_Settings ...it seems off. It's drawing more attention to itself than the H4 and H3 headers above it, which shouldn't be the case.

#20 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:36 PM

Where are the definitions of those elements stored? I'd like to know a little more about that too.

#21 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

The site css on the server houses those elements. Skip H5 if you don't like it and use H6. The underlines serve a purpose in various guides.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wanted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users