Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul (by kryptopyr)

darkside

Insofar as your theory is concerned, I'm thinking yours may be a fringe case of come kind. I've been running the two alongside each other from the beginning of CACO, and apart from an initial incompatibility re: iNeed's waterskins, which Krypt fixed within days, I've had no problems with their interactions. Certainly nothing like what you report, and my load list is significantly expanded from STEP:Extended.

Insofar as your theory is concerned, I'm thinking yours may be a fringe case of come kind. I've been running the two alongside each other from the beginning of CACO, and apart from an initial incompatibility re: iNeed's waterskins, which Krypt fixed within days, I've had no problems with their interactions. Certainly nothing like what you report, and my load list is significantly expanded from STEP:Extended.

Oh yeah - I'm SURE it's a fringe thing. SHould have made that clear! Heck, I'm using them together again now, and I'm not seeing any problems. But it's worth having some kind of documentation of weird bugs in case it happens to anyone else. 

I think it MAY be that something got out of whack when I updated to the latest version of CACO. It may also have started when I added some meta-rules to LOOT when I realized that CACO should come below iNeed in my load order (Loot puts it above iNeed). 

I think it MAY be that something got out of whack when I updated to the latest version of CACO. It may also have started when I added some meta-rules to LOOT when I realized that CACO should come below iNeed in my load order (Loot puts it above iNeed). 

I've had a similar problem to what you described....inability to create a new save some 20 hours into a new game with 254 total plugins. I have also been looking for the cause and after ruling out memory blocks and script overload as the cause I took out all the non-SRLE mods and began adding some back for testing. I'm now 16 hours into a new game with no CTDs with a total of 201 plugins. I overlooked the potential that CACO and iNeed were getting in each other's way since both are part of the standard SRLE build and I know I can count of Neo's work to be nearly CTD free. He does not have a flag in his instructions to put iNeed first so I'm operating with CACO loading before iNeed. Is there other documentation that iNeed must be loaded first?

I've had a similar problem to what you described....inability to create a new save some 20 hours into a new game with 254 total plugins. I have also been looking for the cause and after ruling out memory blocks and script overload as the cause I took out all the non-SRLE mods and began adding some back for testing. I'm now 16 hours into a new game with no CTDs with a total of 201 plugins. I overlooked the potential that CACO and iNeed were getting in each other's way since both are part of the standard SRLE build and I know I can count of Neo's work to be nearly CTD free. He does not have a flag in his instructions to put iNeed first so I'm operating with CACO loading before iNeed. Is there other documentation that iNeed must be loaded first?

Huh.

You know, I'm absolutely sure I read - SOMEWHERE - that iNeed should come before CACO - but I sure can't figure out where now! So it's entirely possible that I just messed up my save for nothing. Then again, the game's working fine now, so I guess I'm all good.

BUT: If anyone can clarify that iNeed should come AFTER CACO (the way LOOT does it), I will edit my post.

Also: Probably, this was an earlier glitch, but: Now (=after changing the order AND "resetting" iNeed), when I make water at a cooking pot, it automatically fills my waterskins. Before, it didn't. 

I've had the dreaded save game bug once before. From my research it is very rare and has been around for a long time, well before CACO came on the scene. The solution I found was to load a save prior to the bug infecting the game. For me that was about 10 saves or 3 hours back then delete all other saves after that point. It fixed the problem and didn't involve changing the load order in any way. It's a bit of an unknown and from my understanding has the potential to spread to saves in other profiles so it doesn't appear mod related but more to do with the saving mechanic. Is this accurate? I have no idea, it's just what others reported. The process I used worked however there are probably other solutions available.

I've always loaded iNeed after CACO without any issues. I don't use LOOT.

OK, Teabag has spoken: Putting CACO after iNeed was NOT necessary! At this point, I have no idea where I got that idea from. Sorry!

OTOH, I guess I'll leave it where it is in my current game: Everything seems to be working, so why monkey with it? (Also, I'm not actually seeing any conflicts in TES5Edit, so it probably doesn't matter either way ... )

What actually causes these rare but infuriating CTD-on-save issues is beyond me, and I haven't found any solid information. (I even used my emergency loverslab account to ask the wizards of kink. I'm super uncomfortable with the graphics, but those people can troubleshoot like nobody's business.)

In my particular case, my best guess is that it had something to do with changing stuff in my load order during an ongoing playthrough. We're not talking about tectonic shifts - but I DID add the old bermuda triangle of XMPSE-DSR-FNIS (got sick of people walking around with shields stuck to their arms); and I also reordered some plugins, removed a couple unnecessary patches, rebuilt my DynDoLOD, ASIS, merged and bashed patches. If there were money to be bet on what caused my own save-corruption, mine would be on the reordering and rebuilding, not on the animations. Presumably, some kind of dependency got flipflopped, leading, to, like, this epic script hiccup that keeps save commands from being completed. 

And, IN MY CASE, going back to an earlier save ONLY SEEMED to fix the problem. A day later (with ZERO changes to my load order), there it was again. Whatever it was, it's not something that either of the save game cleaners can identify - and after doing a complete reset of iNeed, it's solved. 

On the gripping hand, have you tried Crash Fixes by meh321 &/or considered the possibility that it's string size that's corrupting the save? 

If you have several string heavy mods, and 20+ hours played, and repeatedly crash when attempting to save now perhaps that's the issue. There is a chart of various mods and empirical data on their sting impact in the SRLE Extended support section, might be more help on the subject in the land of kink.

Edited by redirishlord

• 4 weeks later...

hi kryptopyr I have just been looking at the new version of SkyTEST Realisic and Preadators which has just been updated. I noticed it may require a patch to be fully compatibile with CACO as it adds new ingestibles.

Edited by Darth_mathias
  • +1 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have personally played with this mod installed and love it. I would be okay with it being in STEP. It provides much needed fixes to the Alchemy system in Skyrim. However, due to the fact that the mod goes beyond fixes, I am in doubt of placing it in Core. Extended is the better fit but, several of the mods that need removed if this is installed are Core mods. This causes confusion for users when you install a mod for Core, but not Extended. However, the fact that it replaces several mods is a plus, as well. :pinch:

So my final verdict is this should be in Extended. If accepted however, I think we should consider dropping the following mods from Core since CACO replaces them. These mods can be moved into Packs if they are needed and the user doesn't install CACO:

• Ragdoll Paralysis
  • 101BugsHD
  • Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons HD (this mod has other issue and should be dropped anyway because of those)
  • Claims Drop Pearls

I have personally played with this mod installed and love it. I would be okay with it being in STEP. It provides much needed fixes to the Alchemy system in Skyrim. However, due to the fact that the mod goes beyond fixes, I am in doubt of placing it in Core. Extended is the better fit but, several of the mods that need removed if this is installed are Core mods. This causes confusion for users when you install a mod for Core, but not Extended. However, the fact that it replaces several mods is a plus, as well. :pinch:

So my final verdict is this should be in Extended. If accepted however, I think we should consider dropping the following mods from Core since CACO replaces them. These mods can be moved into Packs if they are needed and the user doesn't install CACO:

• Ragdoll Paralysis
  • 101BugsHD
  • Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons HD (this mod has other issue and should be dropped anyway because of those)
  • Claims Drop Pearls

I agree that CACO should be in Extended. I also agree with dropping most of the mentioned mods from Core...the only one I would disagree with is Ragdoll Paralysis.

There is already precedent for having a mod in Core, but not Extended: See Brawl Bugs Patch. (In Extended, this is included in Enhanced Blood Textures). We should definitely try to limit those rare cases as much as possible, but it might be worth considering if Ragdoll Paralysis warrants such an exception.

Regardless, about CACO: I have played with it for a while now, and I am quite enjoying it. It is what alchemy and cooking should have been in the first place. A definite YES to extended for this, in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

I really want to use this mod but it seems to have problems with all of the "Living Takes Time" type of mods, which I consider far more important to my immersion.  I recognize that this is not the universal priority, but it's something to consider.

Try Time Flies, it works with CACO

Really?  I asked the author about that, thinking he'd have some of the same issues with changes made to ingredients, and he said, and this is a direct quote:  

" So, still no plan to support CACO in the near future."

Are you saying you use it and it works despite his lack of efforts in that regard?

He also added, "Hopefully there will be someone forking this mod and finally support CACO."  Dude *looking* for someone to fork his mod - that's not a great sign.