Improved Close Faced Helmets (by navida1)

mothergoose729

1.)I really don't understand the confusion here. This is taken from the readme:

LEGENDARY EDITION

I have also included a combined "Legendary" version of Improved Closefaced Helmets.  This file requires Dawnguard and Dragonborn, and replaces imp_helm, imp_helm_dawn, and imp_help_dbrn.  The changes from the two optional files (imp_guard_helm and imp_helm_imp) are not included in this combined file.  If you want either of these options, then simply install those files after Improved Closefaced Helmets_Legendary.esp.

Are we saying that the author made a mistake and actually DID include those two optionals? I personally don't use the legendary file. I use all of the individual ones so I don't have to worry about issues like this. Does step recommend the tighter eye hole option or no? (i think it's imp_guard_helm.esp)

2.) Also, the note for "weapon and armor fixes' doesn't say anything about the optional amidianborn skyforge patch. Do we not need that anymore?

3.) And since when did we switch from the 'Complete' version of WAF to the 'Complete Plus version'?

Edited by DoYouEvenModBro

We should change the instructions for this mod and WAF. We say to install the WAF plugins with this mod, but that is pretty much wrong. We should just have users install the WAF versions with WAF since MO will want to install them in the WAF folder. Then when this mod is installed we can just move the mods to the Optional ESPs in the Info pop up. It is just simpler.

And why aren't we using the WAF amidianborn skyforge weapons optional? and I thought STEP used to say to use the COMPLETE version, not the COMPLETE PLUS version. I hate these mods. They confuse me :-(. I thought I had this locked down but everytime someone posts in this thread, I get confused again.

I have done the following. Can you tell me if this is right?

1.) Installed WAF COMPLETE Version

2.) Installed optional WAF GDO file and placed AFTER GDO

3.) Installed optional WAF Skyforge Amidianborn Optional File and placed AFTER amidianborn files

4.) Downloaded the Improved Closefaced Helmets WAF file (but didn't install yet)

5.) Installed Improved Closefaced Helmets

6.) Installed Improved Closefaced helmets Dragonborn

7.) Installed Improved Closefaced Helmets Dawnguard

8.) Installed optional no cloth around the neck file

9.) NOW I INSTALLED the WAF improved closefaced helmets files. I did NOT use legendary file. I installed each .esp separate. I installed "imp_helm, imp dragonborn or whatever it's called, imp dawnguard or whatever it's called, and imp_helm_imp (which is the no cloth around the neck file, right?)

10.) I did NOT install imp_guard_helm (which is tighter eyeholes and not recommended by step)

Sorry for the long explanation but is this correct?

Well yeah, but make sure that the WAF versions overwrite the Improved Closedfaced versions. That is why I say to install all the WAF versions in the WAF folder and just move the Improved Closed face plugins to the optional ESPs in the info tab. Why are using the separate versions of the plugins? That is three plugin you can turn into one.

So what I'm doing is correct then, right? Yes, the WAF versions do overwrite the Improved Closedfaced ones Im' pretty sure. But my way works? I don't understand how to do what you are saying to simplify it so until the STEP guide is re-written in a way that makes sense to me, this is the way I will do it, assuming it's correct. 

Okay, you install the Improved closed face helmets mods we list in STEP. They come with meshes and plugins. You don't need the plugins from Improved Cloesedfaced Helmets at all. kyrptopyr has remade all the plugins to be compatible with WAF so you can install those plugins and you only need the Legendary plugin and imp_helm_imp.

Ok, I understand that but it doesn't seeml ike i'm getting an answer to my question. what I'm asking though...is even though it may seem that I'm doing something the long way, is what I listed above ALSO a correct way of getting these two mods to work OR am I doing it incorrectly?

No it's fine. It is just that you have two extra plugins.

Ok. As long as I will get the intended effects :-). I just don't understand exactly what the best approach is. Hopefuly the STEP guide will be written to explain it to me :-). That's why I love you guys. So speaking of STEP guides....when is 2.2.9 launching?

The original base mod file, "Improved Closefaced Helmets --FULL SET", includes all the meshes for 7 different types of Skyrim helmets (no DLC versions) plus the imp_helm plugin. This plugin includes all the records associated with all 7 types of non-DLC helmets. The "improved imperial full face helmet - no cloth around the neck" file contains some different meshes for one helmet type (imperial) and a plugin imp_helm_imp that includes records for just the imperial helmet. This records in this plugin are duplicates of the records for imperial helmets in the imp_helm plugin, with one small exception. The helm_imp plugin records have a "Long Hair" flag while the helm_imp_helm plugin does't have that flag. The alternate "improved guard helmets -tighter eye holes" file has different guard helmet meshes and a plugin with records that are duplicates of the guard helmet records in the imp_helm plugin.

As stated in the readme, the WAF legendary patch includes slightly revised versions of three of the plugins: imp_helm and the 2 DLC plugins. Even though it includes only 3 of the 5 plugins, the legendary plugin has all the records for all 7 Skyrim helmet types plus the 2 DLC helmet types and is complete by itself - no other plugin is needed. It already has the plugin record data needed for the alternate imperial helmet and the alternate guard helmet (the alternate meshes need to be added, of course, if the alternate helmet style is desired). The WAF imp_helm_imp plugin can be used in addition, but all it does is to eliminate the "Long Hair" flag on the imperial helmet. I have checked in game with my own character and some guards wearing imperial helmets and I am unable to see any clipping associated with the hair, by the way.

I suggest that the STEP instructions eliminate the use of the WAF imp_helm_imp plugin when the legendary plugin (or the WAF imp_helm plugin) is used since it isn't clear to me that the additional plugin adds any value.

I agree. The instructions for this mod need to be more clear by simply saying which plugins to use and not use. For STEP, this would be to deactivate all the plugins and only use the Legendary plugin. Simple and sweet. The current instructions are far too wordy.

I removed the imp_helm_imp.esp a long time ago and then added it back in because people kept asking about it. I should have just left it alone and said that I knew what I was talking, so just follow the directions.

If the legendary esp includes the imp_helm_imp.esp (no cloth around neck), then why are you saying to put the legendary directly before imp_helm_imp, if imp_helm_imp isn't needed (since it's in the legendary file)?

EDIT: Is this just so that BUM recognizes where to put the legendary file?

If the legendary esp includes the imp_helm_imp.esp (no cloth around neck), then why are you saying to put the legendary directly before imp_helm_imp, if imp_helm_imp isn't needed (since it's in the legendary file)?

EDIT: Is this just so that BUM recognizes where to put the legendary file?

What? We haven't changed the directions yet. Also, it doesn't include the imp_helm_imp.esp, it just contains the same records without the long hair flag. It is a clipping problem mostly.