Mator Tools Support sub-forum

alt3rn1ty

Question

Just a feeler to see if it would be needed

Mator has talented fingers in a few very nice projects ( Merging / Smashing / mtefunctions ), who knows what the future will bring if he remains dedicated to the cause and possibly supporting FO4 too ?

I can imagine once they get going these tools are going to have many off-shoot and complex topics :

.. Could do with a "Mator Tools support" sub-forum.

• +1 1

Sure, I wouldn't mind!  It'd be a nice umbrella subforum - I've kind of just been using the xEdit Support subforum for most of my needs, though it doesn't seem to quite fit with what I'm doing.

The only thing I would be concerned about would be directing users to use it for things properly.  So long as it's positioned above the "Other Modding Utilities Support" subforum and has a listing of what tools it's for (Merge Plugins, Mator Smash, etc.) it should be fine though.

If STEP is up for this then I'm totally for it.  Also, to expand on what I'm planning on doing tool-wise over the next half-year or so:

Standalone Applications

1. Merge Plugins (currently in Beta, almost publicly released)

2. Mator Smash (currently in Alpha)

3. Some load order manager to replace LOOT (probably called SLOT - Structured Load Order Tool)

4. Some universal patching tool to replace SkyProc/SUM

xEdit Scripting Projects

1. mteFunctions (refactoring)

2. MXPF - Mator's xEdit Patching Framework

3. Automation Tools (continuation)

4. Forge Menu Overhaul (revisiting)

All of these projects will support all games supported by the xEdit project, with FMO/AT leaning more towards Skyrim.

Edited by Mator
  • +1 1

I think the forum should be on the same level as the other dedicated tools in the "Support" forum ie. MO, xEdit, DDSOpt, ENB, etc.

Most of the work STEP does is centred around Bethesda games, which is what those tools cater for, and is where Mator's Tools will be focused. The only exception so far in this is the Witcher tool which needs to be in an "Other tools" sub-forum.

I think the forum should be on the same level as the other dedicated tools in the "Support" forum ie. MO, xEdit, DDSOpt, ENB, etc.

Most of the work STEP does is centred around Bethesda games, which is what those tools cater for, and is where Mator's Tools will be focused. The only exception so far in this is the Witcher tool which needs to be in an "Other tools" sub-forum.

^I think grant may have a point.  :)

Though I will take whatever windfall may come my way, of course.

OK, if you guys can propose the top-level forum name and subforum names (alternatively, main topics can be used/pinned instead of nesting subforum structures) with proposed (brief) forum descriptions, then I will see what works best.

Remember that forums are composed of linear topics, so if each of Mator's tools can be easily described in a corresponding Topic OP and supported within this single topic, then subs are not necessary; however, if each tool requires > 1 independent topic thread AND there is reason to expect > 1 topics under the main forum (in addition to subforums), then I think forum + subforum structure makes sense.

It is always simplest to limit use of subforums to only forum/topic structures that really require them in order to keep disparate info organized ... otherwise, we create nesting and drill-downs that 'complexify' navigation/searches.

OK, if you guys can propose the top-level forum name and subforum names (alternatively, main topics can be used/pinned instead of nesting subforum structures) with proposed (brief) forum descriptions, then I will see what works best.

Remember that forums are composed of linear topics, so if each of Mator's tools can be easily described in a corresponding Topic OP and supported within this single topic, then subs are not necessary; however, if each tool requires > 1 independent topic thread AND there is reason to expect > 1 topics under the main forum (in addition to subforums), then I think forum + subforum structure makes sense.

It is always simplest to limit use of subforums to only forum/topic structures that really require them in order to keep disparate info organized ... otherwise, we create nesting and drill-downs that 'complexify' navigation/searches.

Absolutely.

I just think a top-level forum for all of my tools would be sufficient.  It could be named any of the following:

- Mator Utilities Support

- Mator Tools Support

- Mator's Support Forum

- Mator's Support Section

- Support for Mator's Utilities

... Or something else. 

I see it as being used in a few ways - for general discussion, support requests, and updates.  Bascially the same as any other utility's subforum, just for everything that I make (because I make a lot of things).  The description would list my major projects that the forum is intended to be about (so mteFunctions, Automation Tools, Merge Plugins, Mator Smash).

Just having such a forum would encourage me and others to really break the 100+ post mega-topics up into different discussions, promoting discussion and growth overall.  Also, it seems like there have been a few instances of users posting the Other Tools Support forum, so that will be properly directed to this new subforum, which is nice.

Edited by Mator

Okay. I can set this up for you. Are you wanting sub-forums for each utility or leave it simpler and try out pinned topics for your main tools like they are now. This would eventually look very much like the Mod Organizer Support Forum. Or you can have just pinned topics without sub-forums. This would like the MO Support Forum without the sub-forums at the top. For the topic level we'll go with:

Mator's Utilities Support

Support for the utilities developed by Mator ( mteFunctions, Automation Tools, Merge Plugins, Mator Smash ).

If you want sub-forums, I'll need to know the names and description for each.

Okay. I can set this up for you. Are you wanting sub-forums for each utility or leave it simpler and try out pinned topics for your main tools like they are now. This would eventually look very much like the Mod Organizer Support Forum. Or you can have just pinned topics without sub-forums. This would like the MO Support Forum without the sub-forums at the top. For the topic level we'll go with:

Support for the utilities developed by Mator ( mteFunctions, Automation Tools, Merge Plugins, Mator Smash ).

If you want sub-forums, I'll need to know the names and description for each.

No sub-forums, please.  I don't think there will be enough use to warrant subforums.  If the usage level gets high later on then we can make sub-forums.  I will take responsibility for moving topics to the sub-forums if this ends up happening.

But yeah, that sounds great!  Thanks TechAngel!

Maybe we can adjust that description and do this instead:

Support for the utilities developed by Mator ( Merge Plugins, Mator Smash, AutomationTools ).

Because mteFunctions isn't a utility, it's a library.  Later on when I've released MXPF and the mteFunctions refactor we can use the description:

Support for the utilities and libraries developed by Mator ( Merge Plugins, Mator Smash, AutomationTools, mteFunctions, MXPF ).

Edited by Mator