5 replies to this topic

#1 steppystep

steppystep

Prisoner

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:36 PM

Hello all!

Desperately seeking help for a consistent and mysterious (to me) ctd. The trouble is upon completing the partial STEP install that as far as I can tell, I've followed instructions on, I have a consistent ctd that seems to be triggered by certain audio, particularly gunfire. I know enough to be able to follow instructions and use the utilities that STEP suggests, but not enough to sleuth my way to a solution! The only other hint I have is that at the time of ctd there remains a consistent repeated sound as if the audio system is hung up on that particular spot. 

Hardware Specs

I use Mod Organizer.

LOOT Load Order

I follow STEP all the way through and have the CORE components, there are only a couple of optionals I've skipped.

I stuck with the STEP ini mods.

Specifically: the ctd comes when I encounter certain fights, inside buildings, or out in the wasteland. It appears to trigger off of my own weapon firing at times, others, from the NPC's. 

Any helpful suggestions on where to tackle this would be appreciated. This is about the fourth or fifth time I've attempted to get FO3 modded and stable and I'm about ready to call it in. 

**edited for format, additional info.

Edited by steppystep, 06 November 2015 - 09:56 PM.

#2 steppystep

steppystep

Prisoner

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

Reserved for fix attempts/results:

1. Replaced old codec packages with update K-lite package: No change. 

Edited by steppystep, 10 November 2015 - 08:05 PM.

#3 Kelmych

Kelmych

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:10 PM

I haven't seen this myself in FO3. In Skyrim CTD problems with audio were sometimes caused by corrupted copies of the sound files added by mods. You might want to saving the game just before this happens (if it's predictable) and then try using MO profiles (or creating a custom profile for testing) that have fewer mods, particularly mods that include gunshot sound files. Fallout 3 has always had sound problems. You might find the pages referenced in the guide near the bottom about the stutter problem useful. The solutions for stutter usually involve changing the sound codecs; try using a different codec as discussed on the referenced pages to see if it helps your problem.

#4 steppystep

steppystep

Prisoner

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for the reply Kelmych! 

I had backed up several steps with MO but unfortunately the CTD seemed to show up shortly after the core fixes and before the quests were added. That starts to narrow it down to some pretty key pieces of the STEP process unfortunately. I'll play a bit and see if I can pinpoint it. However, with most of my options being CORE pieces, I'm wondering it it may actually be something with my rig outside of the STEP process as it would seem likely that others would have encountered this before.

Edited by steppystep, 10 November 2015 - 08:12 PM.

#5 Kelmych

Kelmych

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:08 PM

Other than the base UI mods you can usually disable mods at least temporarily.

#6 pt1f4b

pt1f4b

Prisoner

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:51 PM

As i've already faced something like this, i solved my problem by adding these lines to the fallout.ini under section 

[General]

bUseThreadedAI=1
iNumHWThreads=2

Yep, i know, it was already in the guide ::P:  but it must have been late this day i dunno, but i missed it, and that solved my crash. Perhaps you forgot that too ?

Good luck in your research.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users