fINIp 4 (Fallout INI Project 4) by DoubleYou

DoubleYou

Mod Source:

fINIp 4 (Fallout INI Project 4) by DoubleYou

fINIp 4

fINIp 4 (Fallout INI Project 4) is an attempt to restore decency to the Fallout 4 INI configuration files. Sadly, Bethesda screwed up its INIs. You would think that their INI creation method via the Fallout Launcher would be completely error free, as how could they mess up what essentially is a simple text file? but it isn't. They are chock full of uh-ah-choo! sneeze-worthy lines.

Enter fINIp 4. We spinned the files that Fallout 3 uses to create your presets, twirled them into a sensible order, and whirled away most of the errors. This removes a large portion of the obsolete and redundant lines that the Fallout Launcher erroneously applies to the INI files.

Installation:

• Download the main file.
  • Run the installer.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Read any warnings carefully!
  • Once the installer has completed, the Fallout Launcher will automatically run to generate your new INI files.
Once this is done, please add any and all desired tweaks, as these are NOT tweaked outside of default tweaks. This mod cleans up the INI creation process. It doesn't add tweaks.

Uninstallation:

• Replace your Fallout4.ini and FalloutPrefs4.ini files with the backups you should have made according to the warnings in installation and go to step 3. If you neglected to heed my warnings, verify integrity of game cache and go to step 2.
  • Run the Fallout Launcher and select your preset.
  • Eat salt and vinegar chips.

I'm not sure what happened, but after installing this I cannot seem to undo the change it made. I honestly had intended to use it as more of a "suggestion", as I am an experienced end-user, and also wanted to include some of the harmless things I used for Skyrim that still seem to work (such as changing the size of the console, the color of it's text, etc.). So I carefully went through all you your recommendations and created merged versions of the two .ini files with my preferential additions.

Now whenever I launch the game, though, it resets them back to 100% "your version" without comment. I tried forcing an .ini reset via the launcher, but that didn't fix it, so I'm now trying to purge all the .ini files in the Fallout4 dir and re-validating the cache. Hopefully that will fix it.

I do have one question while I'm here: Does the order things are listed in the .ini file truly matter? "Your" version rearranges them quite a bit from what the game spawned for me is why I ask, and this has always bothered me a bit. My impression was that it didn't matter, so long as the setting was in the correct .ini file and under the correct section header. Is this inaccurate...?

EDIT: I just realized that the game just updated, so that could have something to do with it...

Edited by UlithiumDragon

As far as I can tell, the rules for Skyrim are the same as for Fallout 4. So order doesn't matter as long as each setting is in the correct location. The main thing this mod does is rearrange the inis in a logical manner. Other than that, I removed a bunch of bogus settings in the templates that were leftovers from previous games that are no longer valid. This prevents you from altering a setting that doesn't do anything.

Verifying Steam cache will fix the behavior you describe.

As far as I can tell, the rules for Skyrim are the same as for Fallout 4. So order doesn't matter as long as each setting is in the correct location. The main thing this mod does is rearrange the inis in a logical manner. Other than that, I removed a bunch of bogus settings in the templates that were leftovers from previous games that are no longer valid. This prevents you from altering a setting that doesn't do anything.

Verifying Steam cache will fix the behavior you describe.

It did fix it, and I know why you made this tool, and I do appreciate it. I had no way of knowing what setting no longer were important/used, and it's almost better in a lot of circumstances to remove sections anyways (as they revert to default if not present).

It was just a bit more annoying because Fallout 4 auto-detects my computer and sets it to "medium". Now, I am under the recommendation line, but that line is set FAR too high for AMD cards, and I can run the game flawlessly at a smooth 60fps with every setting on ultra, soooooo........ XD

Anyways, it's all fixed now, and the fact that the game auto-updated at around the same time I tried this tool may have been the cause as well, so no worries! I really can't wait till I can bypass the launcher, as even trying to load Fallout4.exe directly from the installation dir still loads up the launcher now (rather annoying, this wasn't the case for Skyrim)! n.nU

There's a bug with the installer, it adds "/Fallout 4" to the install location. So when it needs me to point to the Fallout 4 main directory I end up with "steamapps/common/Fallout 4/Fallout 4". I need to point it to Steam's "common" folder to get "steamapps/common/Fallout 4/" and continue with the installation.

Edit: Just wanted to add, as someone who's been messing with the INIs since New Vegas, I've always wanted a tool like this! Thanks, endorsed!

Edited by GothikaGeist

Alright, since I'm just now looking at this. It basically cleans out any extraneous items that don't have to be there from the default INIs and sorts them alphabetically? I noted a few useful settings were removed like X and Y mouse scaling.

The description isn't 100% clear on what exactly this does so I'm looking for clarification.

It cleans out useless settings, sorts them, and removes most settings that are the same as the default value in Fallout4.ini. Some of them I took out cause if you change them, you would only produce buggy results (screensplatter setting, for instance, causes CTD if off, probably... that's how it was in Skyrim). I took out the mouse scaling settings because people should be adjusting lock sensitivity, not mouse scaling, typically.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just been reading a whole heap of posts on the "interweb" about all necessary changes to your game can now be safely added to Fallout4Custom.ini and thus avoiding issues with the Bethesda INIs being overridden upon updates or cache verification, or any other means there are.

Have you noticed that file? I don't actually have the game so I'm no help there, but there seem to be no issues from the reports. This would mean all the changes currently being made can safely go into that one INI.

The file acts the same as SkyrimCustom.ini, so any valid entry in Fallout4Prefs.ini will overwrite those in Fallout4Custom.ini. But otherwise Fallout4Custom.ini will overwrite any entries in Fallout4.ini.

This has been the behavior since release, nothing new.