STEP v2.2.9.2 Official Bug Reports

TechAngel85

I disagree with the idea of a 'quick start' guide for these reasons:

• Users don't read guides now, creating another one will just add to the list of unread guides
  • We all ready have this information explained in just the right amount of detail in the MO guide.
  • The few users that will go to the new 'quick start' guide will probably skip the full guide as they have just gotten their fix.

So, to satisfy all the parties I'll add a few more screenshots that highlight some particularly obtuse mod packages.

Nb. I will probably source them from all games because I know FO3 has some really bad ones.

EDIT:

I've added some animated gifs of some typical mods that need attention, more can be added if needed, and I have also edited the notice at the beginning of the STEP install guide. As the notice to become familiar with MO was obviously not being read, I added a warning above the notice block for all users to read them and then changed the MO notice to say examples of what to do can be found in the manual. Anything more than this, let me know.

the MO mod page has basic info on initial setup, so I think that is fine, too. Adding in more info about a particular use case (e.g., reconfiguring mod packages) arguably sets a precedent to include minutia for all kinds of things on mod pages, so I can see Grant's POV.

... it may be better not to reactively make changes based on the POV of a single person about a single use case ;)

Thoughts from an outsider looking in fwiw.

If MO would have installed a mod correctly when installed automatically and gives the desired result for S.T.E.P. then it does not need additional instructions.

If MO cannot install the mod automatically and/or does yield the desired result for S.T.E.P. then it needs additional instructions.

You already have plenty of explanation on how to use MO and links to other resources if someone takes the time to actually read. To add something to help someone who prefers to manually check and/or install mods is doing them a disservice, they will benefit more from actually learning MO from the source (RTFM).

Thoughts from an outsider looking in fwiw.

If MO would have installed a mod correctly when installed automatically and gives the desired result for S.T.E.P. then it does not need additional instructions.

If MO cannot install the mod automatically and/or does yield the desired result for S.T.E.P. then it needs additional instructions.

You already have plenty of explanation on how to use MO and links to other resources if someone takes the time to actually read. To add something to help someone who prefers to manually check and/or install mods is doing them a disservice, they will benefit more from actually learning MO from the source (RTFM).

I agree. That why we're (aka Staff) are suppose to simply point users to the information via a link. If they truly do not understand it after reading the reference material, then we'll help from there. STEP assumes you know the basics of MO before using the Guide. That's why the MO Guide is linked from our mod page within a nice big notice that says:

It is recommended that users read (or at least skim) the Mod Organizer Guide, and save the link for future reference. A basic understanding of MO is assumed throughout this guide.

I mean... that's from installing MO in step 1.C of the Guide.

• 1.A  Install Steam and the game.
  • 1.B  Open the game launcher.
  • 1.C  Install MO (and other utilities)

It's quite literally within the third step of installing STEP Guide. :^_^:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was looking at the FO4Edit Nexus page (the location of the most recent TES5Edit) and at the documentation referenced there. One of the pages is the Skyrim Dirty Plugins List. It mentions 4 records that should be removed from Dawnguard.esm in addition to those removed by TES5Edit cleaning. I looked in Dawnguard.esm in my system and I found 3 of these records present even after 2 stages of TES5Edit cleaning (I didn't find the one in CELL 00039F67). Is this information accurate, and if so should we add the instructions to remove some or all of these to the instructions on the Dawnguard wiki page?

I've known about these for a while and do clean them, but they won't hurt anything by not being cleaned from the DLC either.

Kelmych's link doesn't work for me (this one does).

At least one of these manual edits (the XEZN change in [CELL:00016BCF]) seems like it might impact the game?  It was important enough for Bethesda to make this change in Update.esm.  The others seem probably harmless, though it's admittedly fun to delete something that says "AAADeleteWhenDoneTestJeremy" on it.

It seems to me like it would be a good idea to at least mention the idea on the wiki page, whether it's "here's another change that some people say you should make" or even if it's just "other guides suggest to do blah blah blah, but don't bother; it won't change or improve anything".  I didn't learn about this issue until I Googled MD5 checksums to make sure I've got the right expected output for my little automation project and stumbled upon this page.

Well, this isn't a "Bug"...

However it is a typo which the section of the page that it is on is protected from editing or I would have fixed it myself.

The location is on the aMidianBorn Content Addon page:

https://wiki.step-project.com/AMidianBorn_Book_of_Silence#Recommendations

Here is a screenshot of the location upon that page:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzMEAkWoq89EcjRwd0hHOE13dnM/view?usp=drivesdk

Heh, for some odd reason, it didn't like me linking to the picture itself and only showing the image.  Go figure.

Well, this isn't a "Bug"...

However it is a typo which the section of the page that it is on is protected from editing or I would have fixed it myself.

Heh, for some odd reason, it didn't like me linking to the picture itself and only showing the image.  Go figure.

Good eye! I got that fixed and thank you.

The forum software can't handle indirect links for images, such as the ones Google Drive uses. For posting images on our forum, you'll have to use a direct link which many online image hosting services provide. For now, the recommended service is Postimage.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

FYI, I'm going through the STEP guide for the first time, and reached the Conflicting Graphics section. the Static Mesh Improvement Mod (SMIM) has been updated as of the 1st Nov (I think) to v2.01, and includes options for Skyrim: SE in the FOMOD. There's also another section, about Dwemer Animated Lifts, and it is now a merged .esp file.

Therefore, your detailed instructions need an update.

I'm new to Skyrim and modding, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this project. Well done, peeps.

Hello and welcome Bazbaoy!

I already posted about that update in the SMIM topic, I think one of the staff members will update the instructions when they have some time to check the mod and make the appropriate changes.

I guess you figured that you can install that last version without any problem. ;)

Thank you, have fun and a nice day!