STEP v2.2.9.2 Official Bug Reports

TechAngel85

Good Morning. When installing the STEP Compilation, either by double-clicking the download in MO or using the external FOMOD icon in the upper left corner, I am receiving the following Installation failed message. "The element 'plugin' has invalid child element 'typeDescriptor'. List of possible elements expected: 'files, conditionFlags.'  Then, after selecting OK, I receive an Error Box with "installation failed (errorcode 5)". I have downloaded the file several times, on both November 24th and November 25th. Thank you. 

DynDOLOD will add masters to itself. You have to delete your current DynDOLOD.esp plugin and use a new one. The mod comes with a fresh copy for this reason called "DynDOLOD.esp.bak". Right-click the mod in MO and choose Open in Explorer. Find the "DynDOLOD.esp" file and delete it. Copy the "DynDOLOD.esp.bak" file and rename it "DynDOLOD.esp". Now run the scripts.

Thanks, that's done the trick.

Good Morning. When installing the STEP Compilation, either by double-clicking the download in MO or using the external FOMOD icon in the upper left corner, I am receiving the following Installation failed message. "The element 'plugin' has invalid child element 'typeDescriptor'. List of possible elements expected: 'files, conditionFlags.'  Then, after selecting OK, I receive an Error Box with "installation failed (errorcode 5)". I have downloaded the file several times, on both November 24th and November 25th. Thank you. 

OK, I had this yesterday as well, and it's because the FOMOD wasn't designed to use the external installer. IE, you need to use the MO-included 'internal' installer to use it. See my post on the previous page concerning this.

The fix is simple - go into the MO plugins list and enable the Internal FOMOD installer. Life gets easier for this mod at that point.

EDIT: The new file appears to work as expected. DYNDOLOD was able to generate this time anyhow, and though Skyrim dropped to desktop during initial load, I am, atm, attributing that to a Random Act of Skyrim. I'll post follow up as needed, but for now, it would seem everything is back on track. Thanks again for the quick work, Tech and Ess.

Edited by Shadriss

Here to support.

EDIT: Tech, I do have a pair or recommendations from past playthroughs as they relate to STEP... I keep meaning to throw these at you, but kept forgetting.

A) Recommend not having Dead Body Collision active in the load list until AFTER Helgen initial cutscenes are complete, IE, after in the Keep. It's a fairly regular occurance for my games for the PC to get stuck on the dead Stormcloak's body (the one who gets beheaded), causing the game to essentially hang while the PC tries to get into position to almost get beheaded. It's the only place the game can hang at this point because of the scripting that I'm aware of.

B) Similarly, DYNDOLOD at the same point. I've had a number of game starts where all appeared well until I entered the Keep, and then I was stuck in an eternal walking cycle. I know that DYNDOLOD is what's causing it, though why I can't fathom, and keeping it off until inside the keep has worked for me in the past to avoid this problem.

Edited by Shadriss

When doing my last benchmark I noticed medium range mountain flicker, to be exact on the mountains left of Helgen when passing by the first citizens you see.

It wasn't the usual black-ish distant mountain flicker that looks like clipping shadows but much closer, white-ish and looking like snow clipped through rocks.

I'll do a video later.

/edit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3a4GO1xAok

Look at the rock sticking out of the snowy mountain top left at 2:35

Look at the rock in the background behind the tower and the yellow roof at 2:40

Edited by elwaps

EDIT: Tech, I do have a pair or recommendations from past playthroughs as they relate to STEP... I keep meaning to throw these at you, but kept forgetting.

A) Recommend not having Dead Body Collision active in the load list until AFTER Helgen initial cutscenes are complete, IE, after in the Keep. It's a fairly regular occurance for my games for the PC to get stuck on the dead Stormcloak's body (the one who gets beheaded), causing the game to essentially hang while the PC tries to get into position to almost get beheaded. It's the only place the game can hang at this point because of the scripting that I'm aware of.

B) Similarly, DYNDOLOD at the same point. I've had a number of game starts where all appeared well until I entered the Keep, and then I was stuck in an eternal walking cycle. I know that DYNDOLOD is what's causing it, though why I can't fathom, and keeping it off until inside the keep has worked for me in the past to avoid this problem.

I haven't run into either of these issues with STEP 2.2.9.1, although I recently installed STEP 2.2.9.2 with Alternate Start - Live Another Life since I didn't want to go through the intro sequence again.

Haven't had any of them either.

I've already done benchmarking with 2.2.9.1 and whilst that done the intro scene about twenty times and the beheading scene about ten times.

Yet I know the beheading scene bug from a mod build about two years ago. Don't remember what caused it back then, perhaps an old version of DBC?

This is from my fresh 2.2.9.2 installation with Dead Body Collision active:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRyx1hsLqoU

I also know the walking cycle inside Helgen Keep as I had it in my last mod build. However, it didn't appear until I had installed a variety of other mods, not with the actual STEP build.

Edited by elwaps

1) The phrases "STEP patches", "STEP Extended Patch", "STEP Core Patch", etc. are mentioned numerous times throughout the guide. In the LOOT Sorting and Patches section, in recommendations for mods throughout the guide, and in individual wiki pages.

To avoid confusion, it might be good to add to the STEP Compilation wiki that the STEP Patches and the STEP Texture Compilation Pack are included. Right now, the Compilation wiki only shows the list of additional mods added.

2) Disease Descriptions should be removed from the list. Included in the Compilation for Extended, and not a part of Core.

3) Please see this feedback post by Starfield. A decent amount of bugs are listed, (none listed yet in this thread,) along with more generalized feedback, as well.

Edit:

4) On the Skyrim Redesigned wiki page, there is a BCF link (for Wrye Bash users). This link brings me to an upload file page (assuming I'm logged in to the wiki), with a note saying the file had been removed, as STEP no longer supports BCFs. The link itself on the Skyrim Redesigned page should be removed.

Edited by Nebulous112
  • +1 1

Thanks for the reports everyone. I've never ran into those issues either and have ran through that opening scene 100+ times over the years. I have had some issue in interiors will missing floors and objects on my last playthrough which I suspect was DynDOLOD but I never could narrow it down and others couldn't confirm.

@Nebulous

I'll look into those things. This weekend is a bit crazy for me. Management and retail so I'm working nearly 32hrs over the next 3 days, so if any of the Staff are available please don't wait on me. I might not be available for a few days.

@Nebulous

I'll look into those things. This weekend is a bit crazy for me. Management and retail so I'm working nearly 32hrs over the next 3 days, so if any of the Staff are available please don't wait on me. I might not be available for a few days.

Thanks, Tech. The craziness of retail during Black Friday I couldn't imagine. Plus, I suppose it's also Thanksgiving weekend for you Americans as well. Unfortunately, I already had my turkey day a month back.

Anyway, I hope you have a chance to get some rest over the next few days, between work and turkey. Also, I wish you (and the rest of the STEP team) a happy Thanksgiving. :-)

Cheers,

Nebulous

Odd that I'm the only one who's ever had those issues.

To the first, It's not a consistent thing. Only every so often, the body from the previous victim ragdolls to an odd position and prevents the PC from putting his head on the block, which basically locks the game. Dead Body Collision is the only thing that causes that one.

To the second, I posted on it some time ago. Another one that doesn't seem consistent, but was definitely narrowed down to DYNDOLOD. Turning it off prevented the problem I mentioned consistently. Still... if I'm the only one, I guess you can start calling me Tigger.

• +1 1

Not sure if it's a bug or intentional but on the AOS page

https://wiki.step-project.com/Audio_Overhaul_for_Skyrim#Recommendations

If you are installing manual it says to install BOTH GDO and WAFR patches but then the FOMODO on the last patch kicks off a warning saying

'Patches for both Weapons and Armor Fixes Remade (WAF-R) -and- Guard Dialogue Overhaul (GDO) have been selected.

However, because the WAF-R patch already includes all fixes for GDO, the GDO patch is redundant and does NOT need to be installed.'

So bascially do we ignore this and install both patches or JUST the WAFR patch?

Thanks again!

• +1 1