STEP v2.10.0 Development

TechAngel85

Notice:

As of STEP 2.2.8, we are only actively supporting Skyrim Legendayr Ed. (all DLCs) - We continue to 'passively' support other DLC/non-DLC configurations as an artifact of having done so previously. However, moving forward, all new content will assume Legendary Ed. We will gradually phase out information pertaining to limited DLC components.

Overview:
STEP 2.10.0 marks another step towards official STEP Pack support. However there is still much work to be done for STEP to be ready to make this transition. Because of this and there being no time frame for Pack development, we have decided to do incremental releases. v2.2.9.1 was the first. v2.2.9.2 was the second. These releases will mainly be mod releases, meaning that we'll mainly be testing and reviewing mods.

With this release, we have also reviewed our version scheme. You will notice this change now in that the next release will be version 2.10.0. For more information on this visit the wiki page here.

Since this is a community driven project and site, we would like to encourage users to tag mods they'd like to see in STEP. To do this, please add a 'testing' tag to the desired mods. This will allow us to filter the mods and review them. Mods that we think fit into the STEP project will be officially marked for testing and mods that do not will simply have the 'testing' tag removed.

Dev Guide v2.10.0
Changelog (subject to developmental updates)
Mods currently in Testing

For replacers, the test case should be a high-quality screenshot compare. We don't need a lot, just two or three sets of compares on the thread marked [ TESTING ].

The idea is that testing --and logging of that activity on the threads-- will be touch & go for a lot of mods, and it should be pretty clear by anyone stumbling upon any mod thread what the end result is.

Let us know if you want to be a Mod Tester! We're always looking for official testers!

Mods Accepted for v2.10.0 (in no specific order)
Book Covers Skyrim - Lost Library - Added to 2.K Clutter & Miscellaneous / Extended / Desaturated
Bug Fixes - Added to 2.D Fixes / Core
Deathbell HD - Added to 2.G Landscape / Core / 1K version

DRAGON PRIEST - Added to 2.H Characters & Creatures / Core / 2K version

Dragonbone Mastery - Weapons Retexture - Added to 2.I Clothing & Equipment / Core
Dragonborn Mages Robes Retexture Pack - Added to 2.I Clothing & Equipment / Core
DRAUGR - Added to 2.H Characters & Creatures / Core / 2K version, 1K Hairs
ESF - The Companions Guild - Added to 2.M Gameplay / Extended / Requirements-only version

FISS - Added to 2.C Extenders / Core

FAR - Forgotten Argonian Roots - Added to 2.H Characters & Creatures / Core / 2K
HD Stone Quarry and Clay Deposit - Added to 2.G Landscape / Core / 1K
High-Res Dartwing Texture - Added to 2.H Characters & Creatures / Core

Lepidoptera Of Skyrim - Added to 2.H Characters & Creatures / Core

Lucidity Sound FX - Added to 2.L Sound / Core
MAMMOTH - Added to 2.H Characters & Creatures / Core / 2K version
Modern Brawl Bug Fix - Added to 2.N Patches / Core / Must be loaded after EBT
MoreHUD - Added to 2.E Interface / Extended

Northborn Scars - Added to 2.H Characters & Creatures / Core

Not Really HD Leather Strips - Added to 2.K Clutter & Miscellaneous / Core
Not So Fast - Mage Guild - Added to 2.M Gameplay / Extended

PAINTERLY - Added to 2.H Characters & Creatures / Core

Realistic Boat Bobbing - Added to 2.J Animations & Effects / Core

Relationship Dialogue Overhaul - Added to 2.M Gameplay / Extended

RUSTIC CHILDREN - Added to 2.H Characters & Creatures / Core / 2K-1K

RUSTIC DEATH HOUND - Added to 2.H Characters & Creatures / Core / 2K-1K
RUSTIC FORSWORN - Added to 2.I Clothing & Equipment / Core / 2K-1K
RUSTIC CLOTHING - Added to 2.I Clothing & Equipment / Core / 2K-1K
Rustic Elderscroll - Added to 2.K Clutter & Miscellaneous / Core / 2K
RUSTIC GARGOYLE - Added to 2.H Characters & Creatures / Core / 2K-1K

RUSTIC MONUMENTS and TOMBSTONES - Added to 2.G Landscape / Core
RUSTIC SOULGEMS - Added to 2.K Clutter & Miscellaneous / Core / 1K-Sorted
SABRECAT - Added to 2.H Characters & Creatures / Core / 2K version
Shadowmarks Improved - Added to 2.G Landscape / Core / 265 optional file
Skyrim Realistic Overhaul - Added to 2.F. Conflicting Graphics / Core / Recommend users with 2GB cards to reduce textures via DDSopt

Smithing Perks Overhaul - Added to 2.M Gameplay / Extended / Modified vanilla perk tree

Stealth Skills Rebalanced - Added to 2.M Gameplay / Extended / Full version
Retexture for Bread - Hearthfire - Added to 2.K Clutter & Miscellaneous / Core
Retexture for Soup - Added to 2.K Clutter & Miscellaneous / Core / For SMIM Mesh - Poor Version
RUSTIC NORDIC MURALS - Added to 2.K Clutter & Miscellaneous / Core / 2K-1K

Vivid Clouds and Fogs - Added to 2.G Landscape / Core

Wiseman303's Flora Fixes - Added to 2.D Fixes / Core
WEBS extended - Added to 2.K Clutter & Miscellaneous / Core / 2K

WSCO - Windsong Skyrim Character Overhaul - Added to 2.H Characters & Creatures / Core
XPMS Extended -  Added to 2.KD Fixes / Extended

2.10.0 Dev patches:

I don't know if you did so, but I hope you revisit the sound section. There are some mods in there that could be dropped imho:

Better Weapon Swing Sounds

Improved Combat Sounds

Ultra Realistic Bow Shoot Sounds

You may also want to move Smooth Blade Draw and Sheath before AOS to use the AOS samples.

Edited by Spock

• 1 month later...

I'm testing the current Wrye Bash beta and it seems like it works pretty good. The problem will be getting all the correct tags in place. It should read from the loot masterlist soon, so that won't be a total problem. The bash tagging script will have to really be used to update some mods for STEP though. I have been going through it and just off the top of my head AOS, RS, ELE, RWT, TCIY, BCS, AICIO, ADS, WAF, CCF, and HFE will all need new tags (my acronym game is strong). There is a really big expansion of the CELL records that a lot of mods use. Also, it can merge a lot more plugins like Paralyze.esp, the EBQO patches, Moss Rocks, Soul Gems Differ, WAF patches, Radiant Potions and Poisons, and Dead Body Collision.

I still need to look more into Mator Smash to see what all it can do. I don't think it merges plugins, but it may patch a lot of records that I won't have to worry about anymore. Either way this means I have less work to do in the future. Not sure how long until the WB beta goes to release, but it seems plenty stable to me for patching. There is only one minor bug I saw with NAME records, but really how important are those?

It would be nice if Mator Smash works well enough that we can drop WB and scale back the STEP Patches to be less of a compatibility problem going forward. I'll report back after some more testing. Just putting it out there that the Bashed Patcher is moving along nicely, but the bash tagger script is required to get everything working right. 

I've been using Mator Smash instead of Wrye Bash since Mator Smash v0.0.7 I think it was. Very nice tool.

It doesn't merge plugins but it does a very good job at doing a last patch with proper forwarding and merging of plugin edits into a new .esp file. Similar to the STEP patch.

Some xEdit manual work is required, but I haven't really went any deeper than just auto create a setting and then use the autoset attirbutes. So I do belive a work around is possible to make it a full fledged auto procedure like Wrye Bash is now.

This was with STEP: Extended as well as a added extension of mods of my own choosing on top of STEP: Extended.

Edited by JawZ

Okay, I've been messing around with Mator Smash enough to know that I like it. Lotta black magic going on with it, but I don't have enough soul left for that to matter. When it gets out of alpha we should probably use it. I think it does reduce plugin count if you use the right settings because you don't need patches that you otherwise would. The AICIO-ELE Patch, for example, would be unnecessary. I hope there is a way to export the settings for the patcher so we can make simpler for the less informed users.  

It handles patching pretty well. I made a patch for CELL records without the STEP Patch active and it did everything correctly. That's where I want to get eventually. Get the STEP Patches down to the fewest patched records possible and let a patcher do the work. Want them to be more like the Combined Plugins, so that there are only a few masters which means more compatibility for everyone including pack authors. 

If there are specific questions you have about Smash, I'd recommend PMing him, if you do not get an answer I could always ask Mator about them on chat or ask him if he's seen the messages so he can give you a more detailed answer than he may lay out for a layman.