STEP v2.10.0 Development

TechAngel85

I know we've been posting a lot in the testing topics, but it's likely still a ways off. This release will likely be a rather large one as there is quite a few things to wrap up before the change to the versioning scheme.

It wasn't just posting a lot, like just skimming through this it seemed like you guys might have been winding down and now focused on finalizing instead of adding more and what not. Anyways, I misinterpreted and that's cool. Like I said before, I wasn't asking to pester but just didn't to finish setting up STEP on Friday for it to drop on Saturday, heh. 

Here's an idea for 2.10:  Instead of posting 50 different changes to be made to the ini file, how about just provide a STEP ini override for those key variables?

Suggestion #6 from this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/4rwydu/best_practices_in_mod_organizerusing_the_notes/

Should decrease the likelihood of fat-fingering a value.

I could easily add mod groups. Extra folders with very small files that are just there for users that want them is something I have no problem including.

I've wanted to add the INI edits for a while, but just never got around to it. That is going on my checklist though so I won't forget. 

:)

• 2 weeks later...

STEP is very much alive. :-)

Take a look at the Mods sub-forum, and you will see many mods are in testing.

There is usually a good amount of time between releases to allow time for testing of the mods...nothing gets in STEP without it being rigorously tested against current STEP mods (or vanilla if nothing covers it). I don't know when the next release will be, but it is likely a while away. If you would like to help out, try out some of the mods in testing with a STEP mod list, and let us know what you think! :-)

• 1 month later...

I am confident after seeing the changes BethINI makes that it can fully replace the entire "1.D. INI Tweaks" section of the Guide and I propose we place it in the Patches section to be ran after the Batched Patch (alphabetical order). The mod page can be fleshed out with instructions.

I didn't think about that, but now would be a good time to consider if we want to remove the benchmarks from the Guide, as well. Some of that data has been sitting since 2013 and hasn't been touched. Realistically, will it ever be compiled into something useful or is it just going to keep sitting there? The benchmark stuff was Z's baby so perhaps we should PM him for his thoughts.

The reason I proposed putting it at the end of the guide was so it would pick up some mods that are in STEP which have specific INI tweak recommendations, like SFO.

• 3 weeks later...

I have updated the Guide to reflect the use of BethINI. This basically means the entire INI Tweaks section has been but down to a few lines. I think we should leave this section in place to help inform users of how STEP now handles the INIs, but also as it has a link to more advanced information, if users want to dive in. I say we leave it there for a release or two and then move it down to the bottom of the Guide in section .

The mod page for BethINI still needs to be tweaked for our uses, though.

I have reflected these changes on the changelog under the "Guide" section.

TDN Vampire Armor Retexture is a fine choice and it looks really good in the game, but I do prefer Gamwich's vampire armor in Rustic Clothing. There's just something about Gamwich's version that seems more realistic and pleasing to me.

• 1 month later...

No, not yet. I've started a page to keep up with the mods being converted though: https://wiki.step-project.com/Project:Skyrim_Special_Edition

STEP is no where near ready to complete another guide of another game. It's my fear that this will be it with hosting/finance issues and lack of involvement from the upper staff. DY is starting to get away from modding a bit. Ess is doing the same with his career, wife, and real life. Z has a new job that leaves him little time. Same with s4n. It's been me holding down the fort for a while. :ermm:

It's my fear that this will be it with hosting/finance issues and lack of involvement from the upper staff. 

Perhaps you should be recruiting.  Toss the net out at Reddit (I know you aren't a fan) or some equivalent.  Send out personal invites to people who have caught your attention.  I'm sure there are plenty of people who are still heavily involved with the game who just don't know how to contribute.

STEP has become the definitive guide for the best mods to start with - mods that don't work at cross-purpose - and I suspect there are many who would hate to see it waste away.  I know I personally will be hesitant to start SE without a step guide.