STEP v2.10.0 Development

TechAngel85

Perhaps you should be recruiting.  Toss the net out at Reddit (I know you aren't a fan) or some equivalent.  Send out personal invites to people who have caught your attention.  I'm sure there are plenty of people who are still heavily involved with the game who just don't know how to contribute.

STEP has become the definitive guide for the best mods to start with - mods that don't work at cross-purpose - and I suspect there are many who would hate to see it waste away.  I know I personally will be hesitant to start SE without a step guide.

We do this about once every six months with the staff already on board. STEP staff members have at "hierarchy" or "role" they start at and rise through. The staff groups, roles, and hierarchies are linked on the Citizenship Guide. Staff typical start at #5 on that list and move up to #1. In addition to staff we also have members and authors who are not considered staff, but are moderators for their respective forums (sheson for DynDOLD Support forum, Mator for Mator's Untilities support forum, Neovalen of the SR forums, etc).  Staff are typically recruited from the members of the STEP forums who show an interest, often by stepping up and helping with the project in some way of their own accord. This is how EssArrBee, DoubleYou, several of the Super Mods/Moderators, and myself were recruited. S4N and Z are basically the only two remaining "founders" of the project as it is today. TheCompiler still pops in from time to time to look things over. :^_^:

No, not yet. I've started a page to keep up with the mods being converted though: https://wiki.step-project.com/Project:Skyrim_Special_Edition

STEP is no where near ready to complete another guide of another game. It's my fear that this will be it with hosting/finance issues and lack of involvement from the upper staff. DY is starting to get away from modding a bit. Ess is doing the same with his career, wife, and real life. Z has a new job that leaves him little time. Same with s4n. It's been me holding down the fort for a while. :ermm:

dammit, im sorry dude. I know a few years ago i was pretty active too but unfortunately things changed and, like others, ive had to shift my priorities. Wish my personal life allowed for more free time because this is by far the best Skyrim/TES/gaming/modding community out there, hands down. You've always been consistent over the years and I appreciate that (for what it's worth)...   i know how much time goes into this; it's no small commitment. Hypothetically, even with a loaded & fully-active staff, converting STEP into SSE would/will be a huge undertaking.. 

only time will tell, i suppose

dammit, im sorry dude. I know a few years ago i was pretty active too but unfortunately things changed and, like others, ive had to shift my priorities. Wish my personal life allowed for more free time because this is by far the best Skyrim/TES/gaming/modding community out there, hands down. You've always been consistent over the years and I appreciate that (for what it's worth)...   i know how much time goes into this; it's no small commitment. Hypothetically, even with a loaded & fully-active staff, converting STEP into SSE would/will be a huge undertaking.. 

only time will tell, i suppose

Yeah, to support SSE or even FO4 like we do currently for Skyrim, we'd need to, at the very least, copy the wiki infrastructure and update it to for another game. That's not the only way to go about doing it, but it would be quickest route...and probably the dirtiest too. :^_^: Our current hosting would no longer work because the wiki database is already the single most thing that is pushing the servers. Doubling that by adding another "STEP" title would require us to upgrade our hosting. Again...costs, as STEP is solely supported on donations. No one as ever seen an ad on this website and we'd prefer to keep it that way! However, for growth something new might have to be introduced. Subscriptions on the forums would be a viable option since the forum software already allows for this sort of thing (that's how Nexus is doing it! :;):). A subscription could open up special features on the forums. For example dedicated support, ability to edit posts, special badge on the site, exclusive forums (Mod Authors on STEP already have this), and so on. Of course, none of this has been talked about in any depth. I'm just toss out hypothetical ideas at this point.

And don't get me wrong here...

The other staff have more complicated lives than I do so I naturally have more time for the project right now. It's understandable that they're not around as much.

Z pops in when he can, but has been more of a "yoda" for us to go to when wisdom is needed. I'm sure he'd still like to dive into development more as he once did, but life and time. Same can be said of all the upper staff. DoubleYou has shifted most of his modding over to BethINI, and what a GREAT tool that is! Ess still pops in to update the STEP Patches and keeps up with a bit of FNV stuff. S4N has maintained his exclusiveness for around two years now, but does pop in to handle the servers and complete a bit of development from time to time, like for the Packs.

I guess you can say we're just maintaining what we have for the time being. At least until life slows down and gives everyone the time and energy. :construction: :coffee:

Edit:

In all honesty, most of the testing and releases could be done by a single upper staff member and a few moderators and/or one other upper staff member checking out the mods and voting in the forums. Both GrantSP, Greg, and a few other moderators have been good in doing this. That work isn't hard, it's just time consuming. I've taken on quite a bit of actual modding on the side (Jaggarsfeld, Jaggarsfeld Extended, my own player home, Relighting Skyrim Remastered, The Ruffled Feather, WATER, helping authors with FOMODs, etc, etc.). Else, I could move the project along myself, but I have found enjoyment in those other things too. So in a sense, I've also moved some of my own time off the project, but I too returned from time to time to release State of STEP articles, work on wiki projects, and do a bit of testing.

No, not yet. I've started a page to keep up with the mods being converted though: https://wiki.step-project.com/Project:Skyrim_Special_Edition

STEP is no where near ready to complete another guide of another game. It's my fear that this will be it with hosting/finance issues and lack of involvement from the upper staff. DY is starting to get away from modding a bit. Ess is doing the same with his career, wife, and real life. Z has a new job that leaves him little time. Same with s4n. It's been me holding down the fort for a while. :ermm:

Well that's sad...

Don't force yourself, what you did already is awesome!

If you can't keep the STEP domain up (if I had money to spare atm I would help. :confused: Also I would like to contribute to the guide but I just started modding Skyrim and I need to learn a lot) then just copy the last version somewhere and advise all the other guides authors to do the same.

If there is no solution in the futur to keep this going I would not be mad at all. Even if this is the best guide/compilation out there for a well working and beautiful Skyrim (maybe I'll do SR:LE but its too much... I just want to play a better Skyrim right now, nothing crazy).

For now all I can do is sending you some love from France, I think you need it after that reply. :heart: :heart: :heart:

That's a weird reply from me but I clicked the button, too late!!!

It's all good. Thanks for the love! ::D:

We're don't plan on going anywhere, but development may slow for a time. My personal projects will slow down soon though, and I'll only be splitting time between a couple of them. I'll be updating Jaggarsfeld soon with some much needed lighting tweaks. After that, I'll port what I did in Jaggarsfeld Extended into a module and dust my hands of both projects for a while. Once WATER is ported over to SSE, that project will slow as well. I'll be putting my own house mod off until the SSE scene stables out a bit more. Therefore, my time will be opening up soon and more of it will be spent on STEP.

The other guys will have to speak for themselves. Maybe we'll put a message out from each one of us in the next State of STEP. I just like keeping it real with all the members since you all are the reason we're still here via your support.

I think I've derailed the topic enough. I'll split it off into a more general area of the forum in the morning. It's well past my bedtime. :turned:

• 2 weeks later...

I have gotten so much enjoyment out of STEP over the years that I would love to help out, specifically with starting the (long, painful) migration to Skyrim SE. I'm kind of taking a break until SKSE and SkyUI/MCM get ported over, but I've been getting so antsy not futzing with my load order these last few months that I find the urge to experiment...

Well, *I* totally suck.  Never even noticed the "Donate" button.  After years of depending on this site.  Big gold graphic and all.  I shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Well, consider it (finally) clicked.

I get why that you haven't put advertising on this page, and I totally appreciate it.  I know I tend to equate sites running that stuff with crap.  But maybe there is something else that could be done on the wiki side to get the less involved site users more involved.  Maybe a fund drive to pay for the SSE wiki, with a target and updates?  Also, I know even dilettante like me can contribute by testing suggested mods.  Maybe a mod of the week and a link to the related forum page?

It's probably not my place to be making suggestions to the people who have already done so much for me, but I have truly come to depend upon this site for my playthroughs.

Thanks c0c0c0!

Suggestions are always welcome!

@MetalPhilosopher

The SSE mod "explosion" has slowed down quite a bit. Authors are adding less and less mods per day while other authors have shifted into "support mode" with SSE. Myself included. My mod, Jaggarsfeld, features Daedric artifact displays which are currently eating the items after the port due to the old scripts...which I don't have the sources for since I inherited this mod. I'll be spending my day off writing new scripts. :dry: (one of the more frustrating parts of modding for me right now)

About step SSE i am a bit surprised to see WICO in the potential mods to add to step, since is well known to switch to essential several npc that does not need to be essential breaking quests. I know you can fix the issue with automaton tools + SSEDIT, but that won't make happy many users

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A question regarding Wiseman303's Flora Fixes.

The thread for the mod states Accepted for STEP Core v2.10

But the first post in this thread, which lists Mods Accepted for v2.10.0

Does not list Wiseman303's Flora Fixes.

So which thread is correct, and which thread is outdated?