Mod Organizer 2 Discussion and Feedback

TechAngel85

Question

Mod Organizer 2 is now in alpha, which is the 64-bit version of MO featuring support for Fallout 4. Testers are welcome and encouraged!

Download the Alpha here: https://github.com/TanninOne/modorganizer/releases

This is not a bug report topic! Please report bugs to the GitHub issue tracker.

Thought I'd start this thread for the discussion of MO2 instead of filling the Fallout Support topic with unrelated posts.

In Windows Explorer, browse into the Mod Organizer folder and run nxmhandler.exe. Pick the appropriate ModOrganizer.exe in the list and the click Register Active. This registers this instance of Mod Organizer has a handler for Nexus downloads. Just keep in mind that this might get a bit tricky if you need to have more than one instance of Mod Organizer handling Nexus downloads.

I personally download mods from Nexus manually and store them in a hierarchical folder structure (say P:\Games\Skyrim\Animation\FNIS) for long-term safe-keeping and have Mod Organizer install mods from this repository. I primarily do it this way so I don't have to download the same mod more than once -- especially the humongous mods like Static Mesh Improvement Mod. When I setup for a new playthough or a new testing profile, I hit Nexus to download updated versions of mods or to download new mods. This really saves a lot of time if you setup fresh profiles often.

Yeah running two MO installs for the same game can get a bit tricky with the Nexus Downloads.

If you examine the INI associated with the NXMHandler you will see something similar to this:

[handlers]
size=5
1\games=falloutnv
1\executable=D:\\Games\\ModOrganizer\\FNV\\ModOrganizer.exe
2\games=skyrim
2\executable=D:\\Games\\ModOrganizer\\TESV\\ModOrganizer.exe
3\games=skyrim
3\executable=D:\\Games\\ModOrganizer2\\TES5\\ModOrganizer.exe
4\games=falloutnv
4\executable=D:\\Games\\ModOrganizer2\\FNV\\ModOrganizer.exe
5\games=witcher3
5\executable=D:\\Games\\Nexus Mod Manager\\NexusClient.exe

Notice how with this setup I have two versions of MO handling Skyrim mods. The thing to remember here is only the FIRST MO will actually handle the NXM protocol from the Nexus. This means you will need to do as @Greg does and handle most of your download work manually or allow only one of them to do so and then move them with Explorer later, both methods being a bit "clunky".

The actual handling of the mods and profiles works really well with multiple MO installs, its just the downloading that needs a bit of finessing. 

I had already enabled those settings in the new MO for the automatic Log-in to Nexus.  That is why I didn't understand the download not working.  Now my thought is to do as Greg suggested.  My reasoning for this is when one wants to delete a mod from one of the MO and if they where all in the same folder It would be deleting the mod from both MOs.  So, by creating and maintaining two folders with copies of the mods within them the first would be for the MO#1 and the second for MO#2) you could delete a mod from one MO and still have it for the other MO.   Is this making any sense or am I just rambling to myself.  Please say yes!  I don't mind the extra work in doing this if I am getting the result I am striving for.  Agree???

Hey now GrantSP,  Don't be knocking my Mod Organizer now.  I am just starting to get the hang of it all and I am loving it.  This is the greatest thing since Cotton Candy.  By the way thanks for the help both of you. 

Edited by Tomack13

Two separate MO installs will mean two separate sets of "mods" & "downloads" folders, unless you change the settings to point to the same location, so deleting a mod from one install will have no impact on the other.

This of course means having duplication of the same "core" mods for all games.

Not sure how you get my comment as "knocking" MO. On the contrary, I like to think of myself as one of its advocates.

The downloads and mods folders are managed separately by each instance of Mod Organizer so you don't need to worry about one instance stepping on the toes of the other instance. For example, if you look in the ModOrganizer folder you'll see this general structure:

ModeOrganizer/downloads
ModOrganizer/mods
ModOrganizer/profiles

When you download mods using Mod Organizer, the files are stored in the downloads folder. When you install the mod, the mod is unzipped into its own folder in the mods folder (e.g. mods\FNIS). The profiles folder has one folder for each profile that contains the install order (the list of installed mods), the load order, and the Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini files.

Just adding a bit more detail to Grant's post.

GrantSP,

I apologize for the comment.  It was made in jest.  As I stated I have a new love "Mod Organizer" it beats anything I have tried in the past.  I want to say I am just gratified for people such as yourself for the assistance in helping make the situation the best it can be for an old fool such as myself.  I appreciate all that anyone offers.  My problem is putting the information into the proper perspective and making it work on my end.  All of you on the forum seem to have a lot more on the ball than myself.  So THANK YOU.  I am learning with your help.

This probably is not the correct topic area for this question but here goes anyway.  Is it possible to create a totally separate, independent MO on the computer for Skyrim?  Of course one would never run both at the same time.  But would this work???

yes, i have 4 instances of MO myself. tes4, tes5, fo3, fo4 (sorta). thats the beauty of MO.. all settings for each instance primarily reside in the modorganizer.ini file that is in each respective folder. This is better than having the settings in a common place like %appdata%.

<rant>

Mod Organiser "Configurator" it's horrible, an unspeakably vile UX, no search, not even alphabetical sorting of sections. I have given up scrolling up and down the huge Display section looking for the options I need to edit. Opening up the skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini in the profile directory and searching for the setting is just so much easier with your favourite text editor.

</rant>

p.s. I use vi so make your own mind up about "an unspeakably vile UX". ::P:

<rant>

Mod Organiser "Configurator" it's horrible, an unspeakably vile UX, no search, not even alphabetical sorting of sections. I have given up scrolling up and down the huge Display section looking for the options I need to edit. Opening up the skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini in the profile directory and searching for the setting is just so much easier with your favourite text editor.

</rant>

p.s. I use vi so make your own mind up about "an unspeakably vile UX". ::P:

Shh... don't tell anyone, but I agree with you.