Photo

STEP 2.2.9.2 Complete Installation Benchmark (i7 3930K, GTX 680 4GB, 8GB DDR3 1333, SSD, Windows 10)

benchmark step 2.2.9.2

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#46 n0mad23

n0mad23

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:41 AM

I think your Dawnstar at night in light snow looks fantastic.  Definitely playable - though maybe that's the advantage of my now middle-aged eyes.  I find I'm good with an fps in the mid 30's.  I'm curious elwaps as to what you have your iWaterReflectHeight set to in your skyrimprefs.ini.

#47 elwaps

elwaps

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:21 AM

Thanks. Besides obvious STEP mods, that look should be mostly due to ETaC, Real Snow (insane textures), Better Dynamic Snow, No Snow under the Roof, Climates of Tamriel, Expanded Snow Systems, VividSnow and Vividian ENB.  :^_^:

This is my entire water section in skyrimprefs.ini, still sticking to STEP 2.2.9.2:

[Water]
iWaterReflectHeight=1024 ; STEP, allows more detailed water reflections
iWaterReflectWidth=1024 ; STEP, allows more detailed water reflections

I always note where the changes come from so I don't get confused when changing something. Perhaps that's due to having passed the 30 years mark too. And yeah, I can live with 30fps very well as I don't use Skyrim as an action game but as a place to immerse myself in. The beauty of that 2011 game, especially when played (high ^^) on a 50" plasma still blows my mind from time to time.  :;):

#48 n0mad23

n0mad23

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:06 PM

I suspected you were running your water at STEP recommendations.  I recently bumped mine up to the same and have been delighted at the result.  Since I'm using SweetFX and not an ENB I was curious about the difference I was seeing.

I was inspired by your video to get an fps counter up and running in my current set up to see if I'm getting the frame rate I suspect I'm getting.  I'm actually running a bit higher than I'd thought.

What's really surprising to me is just how widely the fps rate varies while moving through the landscape.  For example, riding my convenient horse down the hill into Falkreach I may suddenly go from 57 fps to 34, and then back up to 45 until I'm in town where it stays swings back and forth between 39 and 48 fps.  Honestly, I wouldn't know this without the fps counter running as it all seems to be running smoothly (and visually pleasing) for my immersive game play.

I think I'll introduce Real Snow into my LO on the next rebuild.  I love how the snow's looking in your setup.

#49 elwaps

elwaps

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:21 PM

Wow, that's some serious fps variation. Since I've installed my ENB (perhaps that's the reason), there's roughly only four states for me. About 25 fps in extreme areas covered by ETaC, Better Docks and other stuff like the view on Dawnstar. About 30 fps in still heavily reworked areas like dense forests, Falkreath, Riverwood and so on. Then there's about 40 fps in less extreme outdoor areas like the Markarth region. And then there's dungeons and other indoor cells with 45 fps +. While testing I only encounter "jumps" in the fps (meaning usually ~5, rarely 10 fps) when going from relatively empty areas (snowy lands around Dawnstar, rocky lands around Markarth) into heavily modded ones (Dawnstar and Markarth themselves)

#50 n0mad23

n0mad23

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:45 PM

I spent about 2.5 hours travelling around Skyrim last night just to take fps readings.  It turns out the only places where I have wild fps swings are right outside of Falkreach, and two areas along the road between Helgen and Riverwood.  Everywhere else, I'm getting variations between 5 and 7 fps difference.  I'm really delighted to see just how much higher my fps rate is than I'd guessed it to be.

It's rather puzzling why it's these areas alone.  I suspect scripted spawn points are involved - there are lots of bird flocks that erupt from those areas as I ride by.

When there's time later today, I'm installing both ETaC Complete and Vivid Clouds and Fog and then redoing my DynDoLod and then starting a new game.  (I may have to see how broken things are with Immersive Citizens by dropping ETaC in like this first though :) ).  I'm really curious to see what my fps rate will be in ETaC areas.

#51 elwaps

elwaps

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:07 AM

Maybe this will help you with ETaC as there's about a quadrillion of compatibility patches for it:

unbenanntwtj1c.png

Yes, I've made a list with every patch for every mod I'm using that is not already contained in STEP or REGS. Makes finding the appropriate patches way easier when installing a new mod. You will need as least the Immersive Citizens one, I've also installed the Better Dynamic Snow patch. If you're going to use Real Snow, you're gonna need BDS (from Ruffled Feather), so keep that one in mind. All patches are contained in the ETaC Patches installer except for Enhanced Winterhold Destruction Ruins.

Edited by elwaps, 13 December 2015 - 11:09 AM.

#52 n0mad23

n0mad23

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:18 PM

Installing ETaC mid-game as I did unfortunately didn't work with DynDOLOD.  Luckily, STEP's two threads contained all the clues I needed and after installing, uninstalling, and reinstalling DynDOLOD 3 times I decided to see if starting a new game would get DynDOLOD to activate.

Ironically, it took 3 attempts to make it to the initial appearance of Alduin, too!  First try, the carriage in front of ours flipped entering into Helgan and we got stuck.  The second time, when the executions began, the prisoner beside me yelled, "let's get on with it..." pulled a warhammer out of thin air and took off running toward the north.  I, along with General Tullius, etc. stood around for about 5 minutes in the unlikely event said prisoner would return.  Reloading from the "auto-save" only had this same glitch play out.

Restarted the game and tried one more time and had no further issues since.  In this case, the 3rd time was charmed.  Whew.

I can happily report that the only issue I've had with ETaC so far has been in the Imperial soldier (whose name eludes me) after telling his uncle the blacksmith that we needed to talk indoors, walked across the bridge onto the little Riverwood island, and then a back over the eastern one before going into his relative's house.  As soon as he'd made it to the porch, the smith left his work area and went indoors.  I'm using the Whiterun Market District from ETaC, too and the npcs all seem to be moving without issue in and out of the market area.

I'm super delighted that my fps continues to be quite stable (the usual 5 to 7 fps swings) and remain high.  I'm not sure what's so radically different from this LO from my previous, but I'm really liking how it looks.  Vivid Clouds and Fog was a good choice for me in this install.

Thanks for your advice and inspiration here, elwaps. 

#53 elwaps

elwaps

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:09 PM

"First try, the carriage in front of ours flipped entering into Helgan and we got stuck."

This is almost 100% to your framerate not being limited to 60 or below, Skyrim's engine goes wild at (too) high framerates. I had a really hard time when benchmarking vanilla Skyrim on low and medium launcher settings before I started installing STEP as in 8 or 9 out of 10 times on medium the carriage started flipping even at the very beginning of the intro and failed to get to Helgen. On low it was flipping everywhere all the time and still somehow managed to get into Helgen. Still it looked pretty hilarious...

"The second time, when the executions began, the prisoner beside me yelled, "let's get on with it..." pulled a warhammer out of thin air and took off running toward the north.  I, along with General Tullius, etc. stood around for about 5 minutes in the unlikely event said prisoner would return."

Thanks for the good laugh, never happened to me ever!  :woot:

By the way, just in case you MIGHT know something about interpreting Papyrus logs, this is what happened in my last testing session that ended with a CTD:

Any idea if Dawnguard (?!?) or DSR got anything to do with it? Or is such an amount of script errors totally normal for them.

#54 n0mad23

n0mad23

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:49 PM

I still read tarot cards better than Papyrus logs - and there are some pretty interesting error messages there.  I'm guessing Dawnguard is the culprit for your CTD.  What other DLC requires cleaning, not once but twice?  Lol.  After "tasting" just how useful the crossbow can be with my last game, I'll take the Dawnguard buggyness (with the confidence that our careful cleaning has made it as stable as possible) in stride and keep my eyes on achieving a level where I can get my hands on one again!

I was actually anticipating the carriage flips at first, specifically from remembering your own reports with benchmarking STEP.  I suspected problems were about to occur for me when we popped out of a fog-bank into raw sunlight and my fps counter was reading 73 fps.  This MSI GT72 gaming laptop is A Beast.  Oh how I love it so!

A modded Skyrim can be a fickle beast.  The prisoner dashing off with leather bindings suddenly gone and that equipped warhammer pretty much says it all.  Who saw that coming?

I'm feeling really good about how it's going so far with this recent change to my LO.  It's an absolutely gorgeous environment that remains totally playable with fabulous frame rates.

Today, I'm a lucky man.

Cheers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: benchmark, step, 2.2.9.2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users