9 replies to this topic

#1 Tarvok

Tarvok

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:38 PM

2.2.9.2 came out, so I decided to do a fresh install with the new stuff. I wish I had either done it before switching to Windows 10, or benchmarked my old setup after switching, so I'd have a better idea what these results mean... but I suspect it's the ini changes that are the culprit. I'm getting some pretty nasty results here:

Hardware:

Processor: AMD FX™-6300 Six-Core Processor 3.50 GHz

RAM: 8 GB

Video: AMD Radeon HD 7700

W2U50Jf.png

lolwut?

I've reinstalled and followed the ini changes twice now, so I think I've followed the listed steps correctly. I'll be messing around with my settings further to try to find the culprit... but I figured you guys needed to see this.

Edited by Tarvok, 26 November 2015 - 05:54 PM.

#2 elwaps

elwaps

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:08 PM

lol, 17fps! Don't tell me you got the 1 GB VRAM version of the HD7700... there's no other explanation I could come up with. STEP demands a bit more than 2 GB.

#3 Tarvok

Tarvok

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 04:33 PM

2 GB is what I have. I wish I knew whether it was switching to STEP 2.2.9.2 or switching to Windows 10 that changed things. It worked fine before.

Maybe I should restore my ini settings and try it with STEP 2.2.9.1 ini recommendations.

#4 elwaps

elwaps

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:58 PM

Strange, as your memory usage is about 1-1.2 GB. I had about 2.2 GB after finishing the installation of 2.2.9.2.

Also, why is your clock stuck at 800MHz? AMD says the 7770 default clock is 1000Mhz. That would explain the low temperatures.

In case you got the 7770. I somehow mistook the "7700" of you for "7770" all the time.

/edit

This won't help you much but I've made the transition from Windows 7 to 10 and from 2.2.9.1 to 2.2.9.2. I couldn't find much of a difference between any of them, performance wise, except for 2.2.9.2 eating a bit more VRAM if I remember right.

Edited by elwaps, 27 November 2015 - 06:18 PM.

#5 Tarvok

Tarvok

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:54 PM

It isn't stuck. It starts at 400, then jumps to 800 as soon as the game starts displaying graphics (either during or after the logo, when the cart ride begins to resolve.

At any rate, I think I've figured it out. There seems to be a conflict between the ini settings and the AMD CCC profile. I figured this out when benchmarking all the launcher profiles (low, medium, high, ultra). I tested it at low, and it ran beautifully, as expected. I moved it up to medium, and all of a sudden, I saw seeing these ridiculously low FPS. Tested it on high, even lower (back down in the 17 FPS range or so). Then I remembered that the launcher settings want Skyrim to manage things, while the profile STEP recommends forces CCC to manage things. I deleted the TESV.exe profile from CCC and re-ran it at high... and got great FPS. Did it again for medium, and got great results. I presume my original "Ultra" results were good because I had deleted the CCC profile before running that one.

Please note: this is pure vanilla Skyrim I'm testing. All expansions, but no mods, launched through the standard launcher.

Here's the results:
EMHg7g8.png

Edited by Tarvok, 27 November 2015 - 06:57 PM.

#6 elwaps

elwaps

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:19 PM

Cool, that's definitely one of these "good to know what to do when this happens to me" things. Looks definitely legit now. Compared to my card, which is supposed to be alot faster, your results should fit in perfectly.

Here's my results for that stage of STEP installation:

unbenanntwoux3.png

The first line is a completely vanilla Skyrim with just the launcher options adapted to the STEP Guide, which is between high and ultra performance wise.

The second line is after installing Mod Organizer and stuff and after going through the INI Guide.

But by now I've passed the 40GB mark, I'm about 60fps and got about 2.3GB VRAM usage. :D

#7 Tarvok

Tarvok

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:11 PM

Well, my first attempt is a bust. I got to the end successfully, or so I thought. But then, I attempted to apply the STEP Compilation at the point the guide directs me to do so... and apparently, I've done something wrong, as I am not eligible for any of the patches. Attempting STEP: Extended install.

At any rate, these are my "mostly correct" benchmarks without patches:

2YrMdTl.png

#8 elwaps

elwaps

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:12 PM

Did you forget any mods?

#9 Tarvok

Tarvok

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:22 PM

Did you forget any mods?

I don't think so. I'm probably just going to have to redo the whole thing. I know there were a few cases I uninstalled and reinstalled mods that weren't configured correctly.

#10 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,051 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:33 PM

Look in the OP of the compilation topic to see the list of required plugins.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: benchmark, step 2.2.9.2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users