• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bytor

Bytor

Prisoner

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:15 AM

I'm slightly concerned about my GPU capabilities and wondering if all STEP-CORE mods are necessary(ie..aMidianFarmhouse, Tobes, high quality Food,etc..) 

I have a GTX 750 which from i understand is only 1GB of VRAM.  However, I have VRAMsizeDX9exe and I get 4064mb which kind of confuses me because I know not all of that is VRAM.  Also, GeForce Experience says my system is running DX12.  Obviously, I'm learning on the go and maybe looking for some reassurance. 

Other system specs:

Intel Core i7 @ 3.2GHz

12GB RAM

Windows 10

#2 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,126 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:51 AM

The available memory you're getting from that tool (4064) is due to Windows 10. Nothing can be done about that beside downgrading to Windows 7.

We did recently up the minimum system VRAM up to 2GB. This is because that is more or less standard these days and because you'll be able to run STEP smoother. That's not to say that you can't still run STEP. There are some users that run STEP on 1GB VRAM just fine. You'll simply have to pick the lower-end options on the textures and possible consider using something like Vanilla Reduced Textures to save as much space as possible.

#3 Bytor

Bytor

Prisoner

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:30 AM

Thank you for the quick response.  I already downloaded this mod Bethesda Hi-Res DLC Optimized( because I thought I was part of the CORE, but I didn't have it activated.  I tried it out in Helgen and ran at 50-60 fps which is great, but it bombed once I got outside--10fps.  I moved it up the load order behind the hi-res patches and it's running at 40fps which I think is fine.  I have not enabled an ENB for fear that this might happen....I use to run RealVision with 200 mods, but I couldn't play outside over 25fps. 

So I ask, will I have any problems keeping it in my CORE profile and are there any other mods that I can edit out that can save me now for some modding down the road?  I did not install Skyrim Flora Overhaul. 

I'm just really trying to figure this out before I make bashed patch.  Also, I have not run any STEP patches at this point either. 

#4 elwaps

elwaps

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:01 AM

I guess leaving out Skyrim Flora Overhaul will save you alot of FPS and VRAM. Tho it looks pretty.

If you want to use an ENB and run everything smooth, I remember Skyrim Enhanced Shaders ENB having almost zero impact on performance while adding some eye candy effects. I guess that one's a very good compromise.

#5 Bytor

Bytor

Prisoner

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:57 AM

Ok, instead of tip-toeing around a week memory card, I'm going to upgrade and I need just a little advice as to what card will work best with my system.

NVIDIA GTX750 1GB

Other system specs:

Intel Core i7 @ 3.2GHz

12GB RAM

Windows 10

Thanks again. 

#6 elwaps

elwaps

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:25 AM

Which i7 is it? An old socket 1366 one? Just guessing because of the 12 GB of RAM and a possible triple channel config.

However, with any non mobile i7 and 12 GB you should be ready for EVERY graphics card you like. What is your budget?

#7 Bytor

Bytor

Prisoner

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:38 AM

Doh....I meant to put that in.  I will spend 200USD

(250 if that upgrade is worth it).  Certainly looking for 4GB.

Edited by Bytor, 02 December 2015 - 11:40 AM.

#8 elwaps

elwaps

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:21 PM

I'm no expert for AMD cards but getting good nVidia ones with 4 GB (or at least 3 GB) is difficult in that price range.

Have a look at the Radeon R9 280X (performance somewhere between GTX 770 and GTX 970) or R9 290 (roughly a GTX 780) or R9 380X (between R9 280X and GTX 780).

These are average performance estimates based upon tests. If I remember correctly, Skyrim favors nVidia cards so a (more expensive) green one could be better.

I'm not sure about the American (or wherever you live) prices as I only know the German ones but those should be roughly in your budget.

With those cards you should get results roughly comparable to mine (click "My STEP 2.2.9.2 Benchmark" in my signature) as my GTX 680 4GB is about as good as a GTX 770.

#9 Bytor

Bytor

Prisoner

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:25 PM

Danke elwaps

#10 elwaps

elwaps

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:32 PM

You're welcome. Just in case you're from Germany too, check gh.de for price comparisons.  :;):

#11 elwaps

elwaps

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:52 PM

One more thing. Looking at the combination of a powerful i7 in combination with insane 12 GB of RAM and the ridiculously weak video card, did you buy a prebuilt machine (from a vendor that sells his stuff by pointing out tons of Gigahertz and Gigabytes while going for a cheap GPU as most people don't know the models anyway)?

If yes, check your PSU! As average people don't know the brands and models you'll often find cheap crap PSUs in prebuilt machines.

Check not only the Watts but also if there's two 6/8 pin connectors (else you'll have to use adapters for your new card and the PSU is most likely crap or too weak or both anyway).

Also, to determine if it will provide enough power, the exact model of your i7 CPU would help alot as they range between about 60 and 135 Watts or so.

#12 Bytor

Bytor

Prisoner

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:52 PM

I unfortunately rushed my purchase(Best Buy) without really knowing what I needed.  Sales guy knew I wanted it for gaming, but I don't think I gave him the impression that I would be modding any games.  I've been researching graphic cards and of course that brought about many questions about how they would fit my in my desktop.

ASUS

System Model: K30AD_M31AD_M51AD(not sure I understand why I have 3 models listed under system info) But it's the M51AD.  It's as big as the WHOPPER from War Games.

BIOS: 0601

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790S CPU @ 3.2GHz(8 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

12 GB RAM

Edited by Bytor, 02 December 2015 - 04:57 PM.

#13 elwaps

elwaps

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:17 PM

Duh... think I found your system, it should be the ASUS Essentio Desktop M51AD B08 i7

If you told the Best Buy guy that you were looking for a gaming computer he either is an ******* and didn't care or he just didn't know.

- A way cheaper i5 instead of the i7 would have been enough for any game except perhaps a few hardcore simulations, but for them you'd need a better video card anyway

- 8 GB of RAM would have been enough for gaming, 12 GB don't make any sense anyway as for dual channel (a bit faster) you need 2x the same RAM which isn't possible with 12 GB as there's no 6 GB ones

- the GTX 750 1GB is crap for any gaming, not only for modded games, just try playing any next gen game on medium settings and you'll fail

- the case is probably worth 30 bucks (retail) and crap, just like any OEM case, cooling the new video card could perhaps be an issue, ASUS doesn't provide any info about fans & cooling

- you only got a HDD while you would profit from a SSD drive so ******* much but I guess random people don't know about SSDs and 2TB of storage sells better than 256 or 512 GB

- the PSU isn't even described on the ASUS page, all they give me is 350/500W (peak) which could be too weak for a good video card, especially since it seems to be no name

Still got the chance to return the thing?  :;):

Anyway, never ever buy a ("gaming") computer in a random store again. I can tell as I worked in an actual computer store myself for three years and literally ALL those computers I got (I was the service guy) were crap, had super cheap OEM mainboards and PSUs, had underwhelming video cards and PSUs so weak they wouldn't stand a better card and were brought to us as the service departments of these stores usually don't know what they're doing. Many of them also had mainboards and cases that didn't meet common standards which makes replacing parts after the warranty a pain in the ***. DELL was the worst when it came to the latter.

If you got the chance to get rid of that thing with no or little loss of money I would do it and built a custom machine for the same prize that is WAY better for gaming and WAY more future proof.

If not, you probably have to replace your PSU along with your video card which will cost you at least another 50 bucks. Or you use the default one until it dies, in most cases no other components are damaged and when its too weak for your card you usually see your computer turning off during gaming or having horrible performance (making your new video card useless). ^^

#14 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,126 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:49 PM

Those sales people don't have a clue what they're talking about most of the time and have zero "real" training. I worked at Walmart years ago and told them I wanted Electronics. Handed them a resume listing my IT certifications and stating my schooling (Computer Network Engineering). They basically tossed the thing in the trash and put me in "Pets" with the excuse that Electronics was only for "veteran employees". This is how much that company care about give their customer quality service. I also worked for Staples as a Resident Tech for a while. They hook their computers brought in for repairs up to the internet and let someone remote into them to fix them or simply run some software that Norton provided for them. That position require no real knowledge of computer repair. The store "techs" are complete morons most of the time and know just enough "tech jargon" to impress the poor souls who don't know better.

I personally like to walk into those stores and start asking simple questions to hear them talk (they eat that up because they love to talk). Then I start hitting them with questions I know they can't answer just to see the "deer-in-headlights" look on their faces as they're stumbling around with their words. :devil: It's priceless. Though the really slick ones can spout out some complete nonsense and make it sound official and factual. Tricky those ones are.

#15 elwaps

elwaps

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:00 PM

"They basically tossed the thing in the trash and put me in "Pets" with the excuse that Electronics was only for "veteran employees"."

:woot:

"They hook their computers brought in for repairs up to the internet and let someone remote into them to fix them"
I've had some insight into the service routines of some of the German trash stores (when it comes to electronics). Never heard of anything desperate like that. Here they'll just send it to their service center, tell the customer that it can take up to 6 weeks - just to get it back after 8 weeks and if the error was something like a randomly occuring mainboard bug or something else that can't be tested easily you'll get it back with "no errors found".

"It's priceless."
It is!  ::P:

"Though the really slick ones can spout out some complete nonsense and make it sound official and factual. Tricky those ones are."

I have to admit I adapted that style a bit when someone wanted to buy a printer or something similarly uninteresting. Helped against 90% of the people. Unfortunately the rest was weird middle age to old creeps that spent the last eight months reading computer magazines in order to be top notch informed when buying a $50 printer. ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users