Best way to handle "overwriting" of files

Kryseth

Question

Hey everyone!

Been using STEP so much more lately and just switched to Mod Organizer (Damn, why didn't I do this years ago!?) so slowly learning the ropes :)

Got one question since I've been stuck in the old ways of installing mods. What is the best way to handle mods that have files that should overwrite eachother? My example is: I have installed SkyMills and am about to install SMIM. SMIM is supposed to overwrite some files from SkyMills. What should I do to make it as "correctly" as possible? Can I organize the overwite order or should I remove the conflicting files completely?

I am sorry if this is covered in some guide out there, but I could not find an answer with my search inquiries.

Thanks in advance!

Drag and drop any created files back into the originating mod. Once that is done, most of the time MO automatically puts those files back in there.

Thank you for the reply, but does that mean when I put the SKSE files generated by Frostfall/Campfire from the overwrite to its own mod (or another mod) it will keep writing to the files from there? Or will there be new data files generated and I have to move everything from overwrite every game session?

The way I understand it:

If MO is ran, and new files are generated that are not currently in any MO mods, these new files get written to overwrite.

The Overwrite folder is at the very end of the mod list...it has a higher priority than everything else, and will therefore overwrite any of the same files that already exist in the mod list. Hence the name.

If you move the files to the mod they are coming from, or create a new mod with the overwrite files, when MO runs it should see these files in the mod list and not make new copies.

As for creating a new mod vs putting them back in the mod that generated them, that is a matter of priority order. It is probably best to throw them back in the mod they are from, if you can determine it.

Edited by Nebulous112

Greetings,

I am Relatively new to MO so please bear with me.  After running FNIS I get a potential problem notice that there are files in your overwrite mod.   I somewhat understand what is going on here but it gives no indication as to what mod these files belong with.  I think I know that one is supposed to ether add these files to an existing mod or create a new mod to place these files into.  How do I decipher what mod these files belong to? 

After running FNIS in the list it generates it does give one Warning that reads: Skeleton(hlcx)female:XPMS (242bones) male:Default (99 bones)

>>Warning: Custom skeleton found. Select SKELETON patch.<<. 

I am hoping for advice in how do I deal with this.

I assume you ran FNIS from within MO, and then clicked "Update FNIS Behavior". This is correct so far. The files that are generated in Overwrite are the FNIS Behaviour files that make FNIS work. You have to right-click Overwrite, and select create mod (to make a "fake" mod for MO to load with these output files). Name this (fake) mod something like FNIS Output, make sure it is right after FNIS in the left pane of MO, and make sure both mods are ticked.

However, I would re-do the process if I were you, as it is important to make sure there were no other files in the overwrite folder before you begin.

Also, I see some problems with your FNIS behavior generation. The Warning means you should tick the "Skeleton Arm Fix" patch in FNIS before you click "Update FNIS Behaviour". Otherwise you will have weird behavior in-game.

The other problem I see is the fact that you are using the default vanilla skeleton for males, and the XPMS skeleton for females. I run STEP Extended and I see this when I run FNIS:

[spoiler=Update FNIS Behavior text]
FNIS Behavior V6.2   2015-12-22 10:16:38 AM
Skyrim: 1.9.32.0 - D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ (Steam)

Skeleton(hkx) female: XPMS (242 bones)   male: XPMS (242 bones)
Patch: "SKELETON Arm Fix" 

Reading FNISBase V6.2 ...

All Anim Lists scanned. Generating Behavior Files ...
0_master usage: 1.1 %   ( 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 alternate animations)
Alternate Animation mods: 0 sets: 0 total groups: 0 added file slots: 0 alternate files: 0

Creature Pack not installed

47 animations for 1 mods successfully included (character)

Not sure what the problem is with yours, but you may want to re-install XP32 Maximum Skeleton and make sure nothing is overwriting the skeleton files. (It should only have a green + sign in the lightning bolt picture under MO "Flags".)

These instructions are probably valid if you are using XPMSE, although I do not use it. Make sure you are only using one of XP32 or XPMSE, though, never both.

Also, make sure the plugins you are using are all checked, then run LOOT before running FNIS. If you ever add or remove a mod, or update a mod (with any animations at all), you will need to re-do FNIS. Kind of the same with any of the patchers, really, if you ever change what they patch. 

Edited by Nebulous112

Thank you for your assistance.  So I did as you recommended and as I thought should be.  I created the Fake mod and added the files checked it and placed it in order.  When I ticked the Fake file it was tagged with a (white lightning bolt for redundancy).  Is this normal? 

Within FNIS I ticked the 'Skeleton Arm Fix" patch.  I have made  sure all of the plugins have been selected and the n ran LOOT again.  I am familiar with the fact that one needs to run FNIS after installing and uninstalling mods that deal with animations.

Concerning the other problem you mention with the default vanilla skeleton for males.  I do use the mod "Better Males".  Does that make a difference?

The next problem I am in the dark.  I do not know what XP32 and XPMSE are.  I do not know where to go with this one.

I want to thank you again.  After over 4,000 hours on Skyrim, with your help and Mod Organizer I finally feel I am learning something.  With this Machine (MO) as I call it, things are starting to make a lot more sense.

Edited by Tomack13

XP32 is the XP32 Maximum Skeleton in the guide under 2.D Fixes. This provides the basic male and female skeleton that is the base for all animations and provides the "slots" for weapon placement (like the dagger on the back). It does not matter whether or not you use Better Males.